CrowdSupport®
InfinityDawn
Level 2: Rookie

Just moved over to NBN from cable, i now can not host game servers!

Answered

So recently i just moved over from cable to the nbn, the only advantage of this has been the signifgantly better upload speeds, apart from that everything else has been sub par, service cost more for less download speed, drop outs etc.

I host alot of game servers over IPV4 and was very familiar with port forwarding over the cable service, simply put in the port, and your local IPV4 address and thats it, anyone who had my Public IPV4 address could connect. However now i am on the NBN this has not been the case, i do everything exactly the same and no one can connect to my public IPV4 address anymore? This is very annoying to me as i am already paying more for the NBN service and i have read that i might have to pay telstra another additional $10 a month for a static ip which is just a scam in my opinion as i could do this all on cable for free. Please help me someone so i can play game with my friends!

Jon Heddou
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Just moved over to NBN from cable, i now can not host game servers!

Enable WAN port as per instructions below then connect WAN port of cable modem to NBN Arris modem. If you require a phone service connect WAN port of Smart modem to LAN port of cable modem. Before doing this will need to change the LAN IP address and address range of one of the modems so that they are not in same subset. (example change one to 192.168.20.xx)

Enabling WAN port of C6300BD
Connecting PC to LAN port of Netgear C6300D and log in to C6300D ( http://192.168.0.1 )
Go to the 'WAN Setup'
Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup
Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'
Select that option.
Router will reboot

Because IP address changes on each reboot suggest you set up a Dynamic DNS service which will give you a URL pointing to the public IP address of the modem. You can get a free Dynamic DNS account with NOIP.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8

You don't need a static IP it might be the Telstra Smart modem Gen 2 causing the problem expecialy if you have the Arcadhan version. Technicolor version has holes on side panels Arcadyan version doesn't. See image below.  The modems don"t have righting on side panels.To prove if it is the mkdem causing the problem you could try your old cable modem in place of the smart modem. First enable backup LAN port on the old modem.

Smart_Modem_Gen_2_Sides.JPG

InfinityDawn

I do have the Arcadyan modem unfortunately, how would i use my cable modem for internet? Use the WAN port and put in access point mode? Will play around

Jon Heddou
Accepted Solution

Enable WAN port as per instructions below then connect WAN port of cable modem to NBN Arris modem. If you require a phone service connect WAN port of Smart modem to LAN port of cable modem. Before doing this will need to change the LAN IP address and address range of one of the modems so that they are not in same subset. (example change one to 192.168.20.xx)

Enabling WAN port of C6300BD
Connecting PC to LAN port of Netgear C6300D and log in to C6300D ( http://192.168.0.1 )
Go to the 'WAN Setup'
Then a drop down menu will come down and one option is 'WAN backup
Once you click that the screen will give you an option to 'Enable - Wan Mode'
Select that option.
Router will reboot

Because IP address changes on each reboot suggest you set up a Dynamic DNS service which will give you a URL pointing to the public IP address of the modem. You can get a free Dynamic DNS account with NOIP.

View solution in original post

InfinityDawn

Okay, just finised testing.

The WAN mode works perfectly, allows me to run servers & portforward them at any time. I tested 2 different game servers (Rust & Minecraft) which worked fine, i connected to my desktop from my laptop which was using my hotspot connection, everything fine. So the question is then what to do with this ...  well not so smart modem... 
Some pics from my cabel router, got some network access denied on the status screenWork.PNG2.PNGDoes this access denied thing mean anything?

Jon Heddou

I think you are getting that message because your modem is not connected to a cable. I would not worry about it.

You could try and get Telstra to exchange the Arcadyan modem for a Technicolor modem.

Your first image contains sensitive information, I suggest you either edit the image or delete it. You have fifteen minutes to edit the post after that you will need to get a moderator to delete the image.

InfinityDawn

Seems times up Smiley Sad i dont know how to get a moderator, but everything is all working, you knew exactly how to fix my issue so thank you, ive come to the conclusion that my Smart Gen 2 is faulty at opening ports so i will just stick with the gateway max, should i try and obtain a technicolor modem or just stick with the current setup? Edit my public IP changed so all good for privacy Smiley Very Happy

Jon Heddou

The Arcadyan modem does support forwarding but there are a few other design faults that prevent port forwarding working as it should in all cases.

The modem has the falling design flaws.

• Does not support NAT loop back.
  • Port forwarding limited to 10 ports.
  • Static Leases Limited to 10 IP addresses (Static LAN IP address).
  • Modem blocks some types of traffic.

The modem does not provide all the functions you need so if I was you I would try and swap it for the Technicolor version. A firmware update would fix the design flaws and Telstra has known about the design flaws so they have had plenty of time to create a firmware update. Telstra should either replace the modems on networks where it is not suitable or provide a firmware update.

To notify moderator to remove image you can click on the three dots on the top right of the post and select  report inappropriate content. You can then send a message indicate that you would like the first image remove because it contains sensitive information. The image still contains your WiFi passwords and MAC addresses. (I am not sure if hackers can use MAC address but better to err on the safe side)

Level 22: Superhuman

It's not possible for tech support to specify the brand of replacement  modem on their system. Just try it. The only way you have any minute possibility of choosing is if a technician visits you and has one as a replacement.  I imagine ?? Technicolors may??  cost more as Arcadyanes are in greater numbers. I had a tech. tell me they are matched to new connections and can't be swapped.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles you to be an expert at everything !!"

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now