CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
PitSch
Level 2: Rookie

Keep your email address But not broadband service

Answered

Hello,

it is a shame, but Telstra does not seem to care about customers willing to change to Nbn, but are not excited to sign up for more expensive plans.

Optus offers are more attractive!

I like to keep 2 bigpond email boxes/addresses but change to Optus.

Your last info about this issue I found is dated 2015.

Any news or advice how best to arrange the change?

Any indications that Telstra may match the competitors offers?

thank you

Peter Schwabe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Keep your email address But not broadband service

Telstra set their NBN plans to what they feel meets their average customer base and potential customer base, there is never going to be a service provider who is able to meet 100% of the market 100% of the time as they have to balance out all the factors. As an example when comparing Optus and Telstra depending on the plan Optus do have plans that start at 12/1Mbps speeds (nbn's basic speed tier) which can be slower than ADSL connections in some cases, whereas Telstra starts theirs at 25/5 (nbn's next speed tier). The speed tier factor is just something else to keep an eye on when comparing nbn providers.

To retain your email you need to speak to the disconnection team on 132200 and say "disconnect" between 8:30am and 9pm and they will be able to go over that with you, it is typically free first the first year and then has a charge each year after that. They will also be able to go over your needs and expectations with your and may be able to find you a solution that meets your need and expectations. Telstra doesn't price match, but that team does sometimes have solutions that may not be listed on the website as standard offers so may have something that is able to keep you on board. Either way, they will be your best bet to go over it all and even if you do decide to change after all to retain your email. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

Telstra set their NBN plans to what they feel meets their average customer base and potential customer base, there is never going to be a service provider who is able to meet 100% of the market 100% of the time as they have to balance out all the factors. As an example when comparing Optus and Telstra depending on the plan Optus do have plans that start at 12/1Mbps speeds (nbn's basic speed tier) which can be slower than ADSL connections in some cases, whereas Telstra starts theirs at 25/5 (nbn's next speed tier). The speed tier factor is just something else to keep an eye on when comparing nbn providers.

To retain your email you need to speak to the disconnection team on 132200 and say "disconnect" between 8:30am and 9pm and they will be able to go over that with you, it is typically free first the first year and then has a charge each year after that. They will also be able to go over your needs and expectations with your and may be able to find you a solution that meets your need and expectations. Telstra doesn't price match, but that team does sometimes have solutions that may not be listed on the website as standard offers so may have something that is able to keep you on board. Either way, they will be your best bet to go over it all and even if you do decide to change after all to retain your email. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

PitSch
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you, DrQ!!

This was the answer I was looking for.

I will get in touch with Telstra staff and try to keep our old connection going.

Cheers

PitSch

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now