Highlighted
PeterG
Level 2: Rookie

LG Smart TV fails to connect to BP Wireless Modem after WPA key entered

Answered

I cannot connect my LG Smart TV Model 47 LW 5700 to a BigPond Elite Network Gateway Wireless Modem. The TV recognises the Wireless Network Name (SSID) and allows me to select it. I enter the Wireless Security Key (WPA) when requested. The TV starts to connect but then comes up with a "Connecting failed. going back to list" message. The security settings on the modem are "Mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK'. Do I need to change that setting to Open to allow connection and then change back again. I have contacted LG Support and Bigpond support and neither can help me. The TV only allows the WPA to be entered as ASCII characters  while the WPA from Bigpond is actually numeric. Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KevinW
Accepted Solution

Re: LG Smart TV fails to connect to BP Wireless Modem after WPA key entered

Hi, Renee and Peter.

Just came across this thread as I was setting up my TV. I too was having trouble connecting to my router, though it's not a BP modem. Just thought I'd mention it in case my resolution is the same as yours.

What I found out was that apparently the wireless settings on the TV do NOT allow passphrases with spaces in them. Seems like a bug in the TV software to me: I noticed as I was entering the passphrase that it would display two asterisks whenever I hit the space, but only one for the other characters.

Sure enough, when I changed the passphrase on the router to one without spaces, the TV connected like a charm.

Still, not happy with that resolution. If the WPA standard supports passphrases with spaces, then the TV should too.

Kevin

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES 25
Level 21: Augmented

disable security and then connect, if it connects ok then it's only a password/security settings related issue

once you can confirm it's working maybe just set to one mode or the other rather than mixed and choose your own passwords, just remember if you do this if you reset the router in the future it will default back to the current password
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
PeterG

Thanks very much. I will give it a try.

Support Team
Support Team

Heya Peter,

How did you go with your LG Smart TV and Wireless Connection? Any Luck?Smiley Indifferent

We'd love to know if you've managed to sort it out, otherwise, you're more than welcome to share what you have tried for any other members that may be experiencing the same issue. Smiley Wink

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PeterG

Hello Renee

I changed to security key to  WPA 2  and it didn't work and lost the connection from my computer to the BP modem because I had changed the security setting. Had to ring the BP help desk to learn how to  reconnect so I have now found out how to do that for when it happens next time. When I pluck up enough courage I will change the security  key to Open and see how I go.

Thanks

KevinW
Accepted Solution

Hi, Renee and Peter.

Just came across this thread as I was setting up my TV. I too was having trouble connecting to my router, though it's not a BP modem. Just thought I'd mention it in case my resolution is the same as yours.

What I found out was that apparently the wireless settings on the TV do NOT allow passphrases with spaces in them. Seems like a bug in the TV software to me: I noticed as I was entering the passphrase that it would display two asterisks whenever I hit the space, but only one for the other characters.

Sure enough, when I changed the passphrase on the router to one without spaces, the TV connected like a charm.

Still, not happy with that resolution. If the WPA standard supports passphrases with spaces, then the TV should too.

Kevin

TonyInTsv
Level 9: Captain

I agree, Having spaces in the pass phrase is a good security feature. Someone should go and ask LG when they will be fixing it.
I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
mlundheim
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you KevinW for ending hours of frustration for us with this answer! We've changed our key to not have spaces, and it worked like a charm. 

Jgasson1

Hi I have just bought an LG smart TV and I cannot connect to my wifi,  for some reason when I enter my password it;s not connecting, can anyone help. My issue does not seem to be about spaces when entering the password.?

TonyInTsv
Level 9: Captain

We need a bit of info before we can help.

- What kind of modem do you use.

- do you see any other wifi networks when you try to connect.

- how far away from the modem is the TV.

- what is between the modem and TV, IE walls, fridges, microwaves etc.

- what error message is the TV giving when you try to connect.

- does the TV have the inbuilt WiFi or is it an addon dongle thigy.

We'll start here.

PS next time it might be an idea to start a new thread for your own issue.

I'm a Telstra employee posting in my own time, my opinions and comments are my own and may not reflect Telstra's values and policies.
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@Jgasson1 wrote:

Hi I have just bought an LG smart TV and I cannot connect to my wifi,  for some reason when I enter my password it;s not connecting, can anyone help. My issue does not seem to be about spaces when entering the password.?

Have you tried disabling security on your modem and then connecting? This will be the first step (as mentioned above).

If it connects without security, then it is an issue with your security key. Does it contain uppercase and lowercase characters and numbers? Are you typing them identically, as the security key should be case sensitive.

Pette

i have 42LA7400 LG 3D Smart TV not connecting WiFi, i removed security password from my router and refresh as open router to every devices and neighbors but STILL can not connect of CONNECTION FAILED. Please help.......
Support Team
Support Team

Heya Pette,

Have you always had trouble connecting the TV to your WiFi, or has it only just started?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

steve17

As the post above i have a  LG 42la620X-ZA TV and it will not find  my wireless network, it finds those from near by homes but not my fibre wireless/ Anybody got any idea as to what i should do ??

Thanks in advance

Steve

erdalffarl

Hi I bought 3 days ago lg smart tv it was working good but today I have update it ..now I cant connect it to wifi sometime it doesnt show my router but sometimes it shows my router but it doesnt connect ..and sometimes it connects to wifi but it takes hours or minutes then disconnect .....please help me
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi erdalffari,

Have you tried to restart your modem and turn the TV off at the power, not just the remote?

I would also suggest manually re-entering the WiFi keys in to configure the network.

If other devices in your home also have issues with a WiFi connecting, then you may want to try changing the WiFi channels on your modem.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

Downloading the WiFi Maximiser App may help to track the WiFi coverage: http://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/getwifi/

- Shelly

erdalffarl

Yes I reset the tv many times and turn the tv off ....and I restart my router but its same doing this and my phone and labtop is normanly connecting to the wifi and the tv before updating was connecting to wifi ...when I update it its not connecting
TaylorK

I am having the very same progme with my LG-65-9500 tv.  I just got it and it will hold onto the wireless signal temporarily and then drop.  Sometimes it lasts 5 seconds, othertimes it will last 40 minutes.  Most of the time it won't connect at all.    Seomtimes my TV will freeze up completely when I am trying to connect and I can onl ypress the power button.  Anyone have any solutions here?  

I was told my LG Customer Support to change the channel in my wireless router to #11 and the encryoption to TKIP/AES.  I did that and still not working.  I have a D-Link Routher Model DIR-628.  i just updated the Firmware as well to 1.25NA.  That didn't help it either.  

Any tips would greatly be appreciated.  I'm wondering if this router simply isnt compatible with the TV. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TaylorK,

I can only suggest that you try changing further WiFi channels and download the WiFi Maximiser App which can help to map the WiFi coverage in your home.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516   

- Shelly

JWoodsonRN

I just bought an LG 60" Smart TV from Conn's Appliances in Katy TX, delivered today, spent over 2 hours trying to get it to connect to WiFi.  No luck.  "Unable to connect" please check password, etc.  Password is correct.  I then switched to another UNSECURED router OPEN with NO password and it STLL would not connect.  The whole purpose of my purchase was to use it via WiFi, no cable, no cords.  I'm calling Conn's in the morning and telling them to come back and pick up this worthless POS.

JWoodsonRN

I switched to an OPEN unsecured router, and it STILL does not connect.   Returning useless TV tomorrow.  FED UP!!

63T

I have tried numerous times to reconnect my LG Smar tv to the internet via my gateway modem, without success, can you help me.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi 63T, 

Can you check to see if your WiFi password hasn't changed.  With BigPond modems the default WiFi network name and password are shown on the back or bottom of the modem.  Make sure you are trying to connect to the correct WiFi network and that you are entering in the password exactly as shown, capitals where capitals are shown and lower case were lower case shown etc.   If this is still not working you may have to check the modem's user interface to see if these details haven't been changed to something else.  

Sometimes it is the firmware of the TV which is not recognising the WiFi transmission.  If you are able try connecting the TV directly to your modem via an Ethernet cable, so that it can check the internet for new updates and download it.

- Ben 

rogerc11

I have just bought an LG 65uf850t "smart" tv which absolutely refuses to connect to my bigpond wifi, Some message about "tangled wires etc. Funny thing is it will connect to my small mobile ( carry in the pocket ) modem OK but cannot use that as will be out of bandwidth in no time. Too far away to connect via cable. Any ideas anyone ?   rogerc

Support Team
Support Team

Hi rogerc11, 

You might want to look into a WiFi Extender if your TV is not able to pick up a WiFi signal from your modem. We have a few here:

https://www.telstra.com.au/connectedhome/enhancements/getwifi#extenders

Please also have a chat to us here http://tel.st/gq6m if you have any more concerns with your homes WiFi as there may be some settings we can check on. 

rogerc11

Thanks so much for your suggestion  Iain , $100 well spent as works perfectly ( for now and hopefully for all time )

Thankyou

rogerc

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more