xen123
Level 3: Gumshoe

Lag/Spikes last 4 days

The last 4 days at random times there is a weird dropout with my internet where for 5-10 seconds nothing can be reached, i first noticed it while playing World of Warcraft, at first i thought it was just the game, but its everything, after 5-10 seconds its good again,i am on ethernet, i have tried rebooting the router, and the nbn box, have been running a ping-t to google and other ip's, made sure nothing else is using my connection, when it happens everything times out, not 100% sure what i can do next if anyone can help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
25 REPLIES
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Lag/Spikes last 4 days

Could try a factory reset of the modem.
I work for Telstra Platinium, Smart Home & Trades Assist as Premium Tech Support.
I'm a Telstra Employee, here in a Personal Capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
kaagee59
Level 1: Cadet

thanks from Kev . Will do same as said by 343GuiltySpark
xen123

tried the factory reset, just had another spike about 10 minutes ago, lasted 5 seconds again, same issue with timeouts

xen123

just had another one at 9:28pm, is there anything else that could be causing this, has only occurred twice today but still getting really frustrating.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Can you do a traceroute when the spikes are occuring and post it here

Alternatively you could get something like PingPlotter and screenshot it
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
xen123

DASADSDADDD123.jpgPingplotter was running when the timeout happnd around 9:50pm

Highlighted
xen123

good.jpgUpdate: this is after rebooting the gateway and turning off ipv6 in the settings, will keep monitoring

xen123

dsaadsadsadsdasdas.jpgFirst spike for today

Hmm and is it intermittent or constant?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

xen123

last about 5 seconds or so then is good again until the next timeout occurs, haven't had any since about 1pm yesterday so far, so fingers crossed right now.

xen123

bv.jpgTimeouts are back again,, 3 times in the last 6 hours this time, after going a day and a half without any.

xen123

so far today has been the worst of it, 8 times today already, timeouts for 5-10 seconds

I actually think that edge router has been under investigation over the last few days (hop 3) based on what i can see on this side. Can see intervention activity on it

xen123

still getting timeouts, is there any word on a fix

What type of NBN service do you have?

xen123

HFC

xen123

today.jpgThat is the timeout that i just got, last one before that was at 9am

Have you gotten the connection itself checked out by NBN assurance? (E.g downstream and upstream frequencies)

xen123

not 100% sure how i would go about getting that done, would i just call telstra and ask for a technician?
Support Team
Support Team

Yes, give our NBN Assurance team a call on 1800 834 273, and they'll help you further. Appreciate your patience, xen123.
Please let us know how you get on. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

xen123

Timeouts seem to be much better, almost resolved, but since today ping to any servers in the US has gone up quite a bit, like there is a problem with the routing, is there any info available on this? West Coast has gone from 160-200, East Coast has gone from 210-260+
LazyLarry
Level 1: Cadet

I've noticed this as well, in around a 40-50ms increase in ping to most of the US game servers I play on. Hoping this is fixed soon.

xen123

really glad its not just me, hoping its fixed soon also.

A lot of traffic to Asia's being routed via Sydney at the moment due to a SMW3 cable break and other associated issues. Can't see anything specifically wrong between AU and West Coast USA

That's expected to clear up around the 26th

xen123

when switching to the 4g backup the ping to US goes back to normal, only getting really bad on normal connection. will keep check of it over the next few days, hopefully its fixed on the 26th

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more