CrowdSupport®
MaxPlank
Level 2: Rookie

Landline down very limited ADSL why 4 days wait?

Reported to the faults number on Friday afternoon. It's now Monday evening.

Still 0.5Mbps limited ADSL. No dial tone but that's okay.

Why do I have to wait the entire weekend plus two days?

I use my internet every hour of the day. Why do I have to wait 96 hours for it to work?

If it'd been dealt with today I would not have complained. But it wasn't. Here I am.

Yay Max Planck!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Landline down very limited ADSL why 4 days wait?

Depending on which state you are in, there is numerous areas which had been impacted by weather Over the weekend. Depending on the these there is a likelyhood that there is a large backlog of faults that need to be fixed. People with priority assistance have to be assisted first (the elderly, sick and disabled) and if they had a large number of these would have been the priority for today. 

if you call faults back, and you have one of the modems with the 4G backup they can remove the speed limitation to allow you to access it at 6mbps again, nothing amazing but better then half an mb. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 21: Augmented

Unfortunately, the law says that ISPs have five business (read working) days to rectify, so you are well within that.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
MaxPlank

Thanks for your reply. I don't have the 4G modem as I am waiting for NBN before signing a new contract. But as this is the 3rd time my phone has gone dead and ADSL either very poor or deceased, I probably need the box.

Yay Max Planck!
MaxPlank

Thanks for your reply.

They need to change the law! Instead of five business days, let's have five business hours. (I wish!)

Someone somewhere pulled out a wire and it just needs to be put back in again. Nothing to do with me or my wiring. Let's have some accountability, rapid response and self-testing by Telstra techs. If you pull out wires, or whatever it is you do, check it all works before you lock the cabinet back up. Don't wait for me to discover some time later.

Yay Max Planck!
Level 25: The Singularity

There are literally 100's of terminations in a pit/pillar/cabinet, and none of them may have been dislodged (doesn't even need to be visibly disconnected to be dislodged) to cause your problems. If the technicians had to check each and every termination every time they did a job, then they would never get anything done at all.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MaxPlank

Thanks for the reply.

So, I was scheduled to have my service restored by 7pm tonight (21st).

Just received an update saying "will now be restored by 28/1/20 7pm" which is a full week from now and will be 11 days from original fault logging. Not good.

To add insult to injury the number provided to call back doesn't work.

Seems odd to have been set back an entire week minutes after my complaint about Telstra techs and a somewhat defensive reply from you. Sorry if unfair comment, but you have to see that I am very unhappy.

Seems that this forum is a mechanism from Telstra to a) stop people whining on social and b) to manage customers, downvoting those who are not happy. I should have kept my mouth shut.

Regarding: "If the technicians had to check each and every termination every time they did a job, then they would never get anything done at all." <= we have computers. They do things very quickly. While your reply may be accurate (are you a Telstra employee?) I basically don't accept that there can't be better rapid self-testing. At least 3 times I've had outages that were nothing to do with my wiring. Telstra's service in general is extremely good, but when these events happen, it's deeply dispiriting.

Yay Max Planck!
MaxPlank

Thanks for the reply.

Boy do I regret revealing why I don't yet have the 4G modem box.

I was scheduled to have my service restored by 7pm tonight (21st).

Just received an update saying "will now be restored by 28/1/20 7pm" which is a full week from now and will be 11 days from original fault logging. Not good.

To add insult to injury the number provided to call back doesn't work.

Seems odd to have been set back an entire week minutes after my complaint on this forum.

Seems that this forum is a mechanism from Telstra to a) stop people whining on social and b) to manage customers, downvoting those who are not happy. I should have kept my mouth shut.

Yay Max Planck!
Highlighted

The change in restoration estimate is most likely due to a technician actually finding something that needs replacing (usually at the exchange) and it needs to be ordered.

No. I don't work for Telstra, just had a lot of experience with comms systems and hanging around here for the past 7 years or so.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit