CrowdSupport®
JaiR
Level 2: Rookie

Long-term internet problem - i may have found a part of the issue?

Hello,

This might be a long post as i'll explain the whole issue. 

For about two years now we've constant internet problems, generally being - complete disconnects and or slow periods. The issue is sporadic, we can have good internet for a week then have 16 disconnects a day for 2 weeks. Other times our internet speeds spike up and done relative to an issue i uncovered. 

First and foremost, tech support via the phone hasn't been helpful, it just never feels like the person you are talking to understand whats you are saying, not as in language barrier but as in when i describe the issue they seem to never follow what i am saying at all, that includes the technicians we get transferred too. 

Last time we contacted tech support they told us our internet had dropped out 31 times in the last 24 hours and that they were transferring us to a technician who said they identified the issue - didn't tell us what it was - and then the next day said it should be fixed, if the issue recurs within the next 72 hours to call them back. The internet was fine for a week then repeated the issue.

Again this has been happening for 2 years, we currently use ADSL2+, the cable to house has been replaced twice, both times due to tree branches, we are 3km from the supply centre thing (can't think of the right term), the wiring in our house is fine and there most certainly hasn't been an outage for 2 years straight. Modems have been factory reset, we've also had 3 different modems. 

To describe the issue further - we have two modems, one an old thomson modem and the other a newer technicolour modem. When these issues happen the new technicolour modems internet and status light go red for about 2 minutes, or generally the duration that the internet is down for, on this modem if you try to reconnect soon after the issue will continuously repeat until you leave all devices unconnected for about 5 minutes. The older modem, the thomson modems light flashes green and only the internet light, during these periods the internet speed on this modem drops from around 1mb/s to 200kb/s download.

I recently found that in the Thomson Gateway menu for our modem each time one of the disconnects / slows happen, the says this; 

Link status: Disconnected

Last error message: Disconnected by user

Every time the internet has these little periodic slow downs, this is what shows up and i can click connect which leaves it connected for around 15 minutes. Inversely you can't actually access the other modems menu when these hiccups happen as the whole internet disconnects.

"Disconnected by user" is really strange because no user is continuously hitting "disconnect" in the Thomson Gateway menu. 

What the hell is going on? its been seriously frustrating as in our household one person studies via the internet and another works via the internet. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Long-term internet problem - i may have found a part of the issue?

@JaiR wrote:

Inversely you can't actually access the other modems menu when these hiccups happen as the whole internet disconnects.

Normally if the internet goes down due to a fault on the link you should still be able to access the modem's GUI on connected devices if you can't it means the modem has rebooted. WiFi devices that not compatible to the modem can cause the modem to reboot. Do you have any IOS devices connected, there are several reports of IOS device with IOS 13 cause modems to reboot.

In the Technicolor modem you can check if there is any problem with the ADSL link by logging into the modem and going to Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL. The image below is a example of a normal link.

frontier_Link_Diagnostic.JPG

JaiR

We have 3 IOS devices currently, not sure what operating system version they're running, that could be contributing to the issue but its been happening much longer than IOS 13 has been out.

I'll reconnect the Technicolor modem and report back on what i find in the Diagnostics DSL tab. 

JaiR

This is what it looks like after being on for a few minutes, the only abnormality it seems is the unavailable seconds. I'll keep the modem plugged in and check what this shows when one of the disconnects happens. Screenshot_118.png

The stats get reset each time modem is rebooted. The UAS is due to the time the Modem is synchronizing with the ADSL DSLAM in the exchange at the start of the connection.

hewi
Level 1: Cadet

Two things come to mind when you say you have two modems.

a) Are they both connected to the same phone line? and

b) is DHCP configured on both?

Apologies if I've read your post wrong and you're just talking about testing them independently. You've mentioned accessing "the other modem's menu" though so it makes me wonder whether there's a conflict happening here.

If both modems are acting as DHCP servers then that's the first problem that you need to solve. The first thing to do would be to completely remove one of them from the equation and then figure out what problems still remain. When you mention the internet dropping out and a modem web interface being unresponsive, it makes me think that your issue is actually the local network rather than the WAN side of the connection.

Another test that I keep running when I'm having issues is to ping both the gateway and an address on the internet at the same time. This can highlight which part of the connection is playing up & could help narrow down where your fault actually is. As far as endpoints go, I tend to use 1.0.0.1 for my internet-based test and 192.168.0.1 for my local test (the IP of my gateway).

The next part or two requires you know the IP addresses that you're being given on the local network, but if you aren't sure how to find that out we can help.

Assuming you have a windows machine on the same network, right-click the start menu, click Run, type "cmd" and hit enter. If you're on a mac, open Terminal from Applications -> Utilities. Do this twice so you have two command prompts (or terminal windows on mac).

If you're on Windows:

• In the first command prompt, type "ping -t 1.0.0.1" and hit enter
  • In the second command prompt, type "ping -t 192.168.0.1" and hit enter. If your gateway IP is different, replace 192.168.0.1 with whatever it is on your network.

If you're on mac:

• In the first terminal window, type "ping 1.0.0.1" and hit enter.
  • In the second terminal window, type "ping 192.168.0.1" and hit enter.

In both cases, these tests will show you the response time from the addresses you've typed in. When you experience the dropouts, check which window "drops" pings. If they both do, then your issue is local and it's possible that your gateway/modem has rebooted. If you only lose 1.0.0.1 (internet based) then the issue isn't local and it's with your internet connection.

On top of basic connectivity testing, ping is a useful tool for testing latency - when looking at results for 1.0.0.1, if you see times of >30ms or so on a wired connection then there are other issues going on. There are a lot of variables in the scenario you've described, so it's a case of starting from the start until you can figure out what device(s) are having the issues.

Hope that helps in some form!

JaiR

Both modems are not connected / on at once, we just keep an old one in case the current modem has any problems. I switched them out a few times to test if the problem was exclusive to one modem or not. 

DHCP is configured and on in both.

Also for some reason, i have to restart my modem every morning because the speeds drop to half over night until i restart the modem, this has only started happening over the last few nights. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now