CrowdSupport®
tamho1996
Level 1: Cadet

Mac 10.12.4 connection issue with Telstra T Gate Way

My MBP connects to the Telstra gateway Modern/ Router. But the connection speed is so slow that I could even stream YouTube normally, keeps loading 240p videos.

I have tried TELSTRA DNS server and 8.8.8.8, tried renew DCHP lease, tried MTU setting to 1450 / 1452 / 1453.
It is still very slow....

Even the internet speed is slower before. Sudden drop to 5-6Mbps from avg 14 Mbps.

Could anyone help me out? Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Mac 10.12.4 connection issue with Telstra T Gate Way

Hi tamho1996, 

To start with I'd recommend that you perform an isolation test, this helps rule out the most common reasons for slow speeds and dropouts on ADSL services. You can find instructions on how to do this by visiting how to preform an isolation test or viewing this video

Your speed can also be affected by poor WiFi reception.  Please try connecting your MBP directly to your modem via an Ethernet cable and test the speed again.   When doing this please make sure that any other devices are disconnected from the modem or turned off so that we are getting an accurate picture of the speeds available to the whole of your service rather than just one device.

If your speed has improved when connected via Ethernet please take a look at the following WiFi troubleshooting article, which you may find resolves your issue. It contains tips, an online tool and a downloadable app which can help in optimising your connection.  I usually find that changing the channel the modem transmits the WiFi signal on can help.  You may have to try a few different channels before finding an optimal one.

WiFi-Troubleshooting

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

tamho1996
Level 1: Cadet

tried to switch to the original TP link router I have, seems fine now. But it cannot connect with my ps4 with ps4 router. 

So either one, TP link works with MBP not Ps4; T Gateway works with PS4, not MBP

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi tamho1996,

If altering the WiFi settings on the Telstra Gateway or the TP Link have not found a way to connect  fully ( How to Change the WiFi Channel on the Telstra Gateway Max TG799/TG800 ADSL/NBN Modem )  then you could look at bridging one of the modems so both can be active for the devices that work correctly on each.

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now