tpmc178
Level 1: Cadet

Massive Uploads on NBN Broadband account

We have only just transferred to Telstra NBN on 11 August (BIGGEST mistake we have ever made) and now we are finding MASSIVE uploads being recorded on our usage reports.  We have asked Telstra to advise what is causing the issue but they won't help us. Is anyone else having this issue?  Since 11 August (18 days)  we have only 217gb in downloads (pretty normal when streaming movies etc, and a whopping 564GB in uploads!!!  Uploading what!?!?!  We don't upload anything to the internet, we dont use cloud services like GooogleDrive and OneDrive.  Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Massive Uploads on NBN Broadband account

Generally the main two causes of unexplained high uploads is a malware infection or seeding torrents

Also windows 10 uses a peer to peer sharing system for windows updates, which can potentialy count towards your uploads if it is not switched off

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
tpmc178
Level 1: Cadet

It is none of those issues.  Testing done on our network last night clearly shows (and I have screenshots) when Netflix is run from our TV which is hard cabled to the Telstra modem/router provided by Telstra, that uploading commences ie when Netflix is being used and it uploads via the Telstra provided modem.   So there are a few questions, Why is Netflix uploading excessive amounts of data?  What type of data is it uploading (the network traffic clearly shows the data as upload NOT download).  Why was this never an issue with our old provided and only started when we switched to Telstra service and Telstra hardware?  My download usage from 11 Aug to 29 Aug was approx 250gb download and a massive 550GB upload!!!  What the hell is uploading from Netflix to cause this?  It is definitely not Windows updates or syncing to cloud services etc, that might go as high as 20GB not 550GB.  Keep in mind I work in IT, I have network techie nerds on call and all of them are freaking out about my figures saying there is a major issue and they have seen the screen shots and hard data.

Very strange

Does netflix seem to do the same thing on any other devices?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now