BC_
Level 2: Rookie

Massive increase in latency to Singapore

I am in Perth and have always (for years) had a ping to Singapore of around ~60ms on my cable internet connection. This recently increased to 180ms and is now over 250ms (worse than ping to US servers). It has been this bad for weeks. I have a direct Ethernet connection from the modem to my PC. I have restarted and reset everything, disconnected all other devices, tried different devices etc. On the same PC using a 4g Vodaphone connection to the net the latency was the expected 60-70ms. What can I do about this? This is preventing me gaming with my friends in the SE Asian region. I tried calling support but they didn't even understand what a ping was.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Massive increase in latency to Singapore

There is no guaranteed latency on consumer services and its not something that the bigpond assurance teams can support.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Level 24: Supreme Being

There's currently an issue with the SMW3 submarine cable that started towards the end of last week which would probably be why you're seeing increased latency

http://status.vocus.com.au/view-incident.aspx?IncidentID=428
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
BC_

Thank you so much.

I really don't understand why I cant get this info from Telstra directly. There might not be any guarantees but they could at least inform their customers what is happening. With their attitude they don't even seem to even want customers to let them know when they have a problem with the product they are paying for. If I had any other choice for a decent speed connection this approach would certainly make we switch providers immediately. 

Highlighted

^ I'm working on that one
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 19: Deputy Director
Level 19: Deputy Director

"There might not be any guarantees but they could at least inform their customers what is happening. With their attitude they don't even seem to even want customers to let them know when they have a problem with the product they are paying for. "

I agree 100%. I'm not unreasonable.  If there has been an internet outage, say so.  I also think that story about one cable and router being damaged by lightning is a bit suss. 

If a marine cable has been cut, information like this could save users hours of wasted time checking their systems and setup. Not to mention the frustration of attempting to understand call centre operators who apparently think you live someplace else and you DON'T have a problem in spite of just coming out of a national outage, and Telstra and Optus vans lining the street, and red lights on the modem. 

Guess, they are trying to avoid something like Vodafail or the Iinet Netflix disaster and irate customers wanting out. Or panic if the outage is due to cyberwarfare. 

Wizard2
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I don't think any of the technical support teams would look on another providers service status page to confirm a service issue with an international link.

If there was a major problem (the link was down or was one that Telstra owned), then it would be plastered all over the Telstra service status page.
The internet is a wonderful place.

I am a Telstra Employee however i am posting in my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstras. I am a customer of Telstra.
BC_

"If there was a major problem (the link was down or was one that Telstra owned), then it would be plastered all over the Telstra service status page."

The issue here is that Telstra doesn't seem to even recognize that this is a problem. The region is still reachable, you can load web pages, download files etc so therefore there is no issue at all according to them. The fact that any type of 'real time' interaction with the region is now impossible is just plain not an issue. 

One of the most important things I do with my connection is to keep in touch and interact with my friends in that region. It is now impossible to do any gaming with them and even things like Skype are now painful to use for anything but text only communication. 

I am truly stunned that latency going from 60ms to 260ms is just not considered an issue that will even be acknowledged. My pings to the US are now lower than my pings to Singapore.

I fully accept that there are no guarantees on this stuff. I am not expecting to have my connection charges refunded or discounted etc. What I do expect is acknowledgement that there is an issue (so I know they are at least aware of it) and if possible any information on what is causing it and if there is an eta for a fix.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more