CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Migrating from cable to nbn

Hi 

Im currently on telstra cable and have received a letter from telstra stating that i will need to switch over to nbn. 

My question is if the new nbn will use the existing cable line or will it use the home phone line to connect me to the nbn or a new line will be installed? 

From what i've read online it appears that nbn will use the existing phone line? if so my only active phone line port is in the master bedroom right under my bed. If i choose to go ahead to connect to the nbn, can i request the nbn tech to move the line to a different location?

What are my options?

Cheers

Nee 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Re: Migrating from cable to nbn

Hi Nee,

It depends on what NBN type you are moving to.

HFC uses the existing cable network wheres as FTTN & FTTC use the existing Copper network so they will use the phone line port.

If you need an NBN Tech for the FTTN or FTTC connection, it is possible to request the technician on the day to relocate it if the job isn't to hard otherwise you can hire an electrician or organise a Tech to come out from Telstra but there will be a fee of roughly $240 if you use Telstra  

Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Most Telstra cable customers when transfered to NBN use the same coax cable, but some use the phone line. You can use link below to find out which Technology will be used for your premises. If FTTN or FTTC then the phone line is used. If HFC then coax cable is used.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/

If phone line is used you can't request Technician to move the existing socket to a new location but you can employ a qualified cabler to do this.

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply. Looking up my address on the site tells me im going be on HFC. 

In that case they'd just swap the modem out to a nbn modem?

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

You'll receive an NBN tech who will install an NTD & Telstra will also send you a Tsmart Modem Gen 2 if you don't already have one which you will need to set up yourself or you can request for a Tech to install it for a fee of $240 

Highlighted

ok good to hear. doesnt sound as complicated as i thought. my main concern was the phone line under my bed being used for nbn. on one would want to install a modem right under their bed. 

cheers for all the help.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit