CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Modem Internet light blinking - cant connect to internet

Answered

I had Telstra instal cable broadband at our home last month. Everything was fine initially but then about 3 weeks ago, the internet light on our modem (netgear 3100D) started blinking. Our devices (ipads and PC) could not connect to the internet (even though they were still picking up the wireless signal). This lasted 2 days and then just fixed itself. This has since happened again on 2 occassion (both times we are without internet for 2 days).

I have tried unplugging the device for a few minutes and reconnceting without any success.

I dont know if this is an issue with Telstra Cable (dont think it is as the devices still pick up a signal) or if it is a problem with the modem? Possibly a problem with something else?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been very frustrating!

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Modem Internet light blinking - cant connect to internet

Update:

The Telstra Tech came by on Wednesday last week and found that the underground cable socket (not sure of i have the correct terminology) had rusted and that was likely causing the dropouts.

He easily replaced the socket and we have not had any issues since then! 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

This is happening to me too. Had able finally installed about 3 weeks ago, was ok. Now particularly at peak times I think, the 4th light from the right blinks (that's when Internet drops out) blinks for around 30sec, then first 3 lights go out, come back on staggered, 4th light blinks again for about 20sec then stays on. Then Internet is back. Not more than 1 minute later the whole thing starts again. I'm in 4053
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

Jholzi: I would recommend performing a factory reset on your modem, this can be done by holding the reset button in for 10 seconds or via http://192.168.0.1 and going to Set Password on the left hand menu.

Pixiej07: Which model of modem do you currently have? Did you recently change modems? It sounds like the modem is losing power. Can you check the cables are plugged in correctly and trying the modem into a different power source? 

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly

Thanks for your reply. I gave that a go but no luck.

This morning the internet decided to come back on without any action from me, so glad that its working now (although it was down for 4 days!!)

I've got a Telstra technician coming out next week to check things out and try to diagnose whats causing this.

Will update this thread once sorted.

Cheers

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

jholzi,

Thanks for the update, let us know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Update:

The Telstra Tech came by on Wednesday last week and found that the underground cable socket (not sure of i have the correct terminology) had rusted and that was likely causing the dropouts.

He easily replaced the socket and we have not had any issues since then! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for taking the time to let us know jholzi Smiley Happy 

Glad to hear that everything is all sorted out now.

We're here if you need any future assistance 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit