Highlighted
CarlyJ
Level 2: Rookie

Moving house, no phone line

Answered
I have a broadband internet connection and have always had it set up through ADSL but have moved out and the new property does not have a phone line. Can I connect my internet without a phone line, without spending a fortune?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Moving house, no phone line

ADSL including Naked ADSL requires an phone line to be installed,

Cable/HFC does not require a phone line to be installed, but requires a HFC Cable port to be installed (the same as a Cable Foxtel Port) 

NBN connections (where availble) require either a NBN Wireless or a NBN Fixed connection installation.

You could consider an 4G wireless service, it is not really the most optimal solution (price is higher and data is lower) however is the only one which does not require any sort of installation.

If you are currently with Telstra and moving you could have a word with the Moving Home team and see what they can do to help? 

ADSL is the most common form of internet and it DOES require a phone line, it can be done Naked without an phone connection, but it does require the line.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 22: Superhuman

Hello, ADSL does require a phone line. It is $299.00 for a new connection unless you are a pensioner.

https://www.telstra.com.au/help/download/document/moving-home-pricing-new-customers.pdf

I am 99% sure that Telstra does not offer naked internet, (that is internet without an actual phone)  other by using  the HFC Foxtel Cable just for internet.

You may wish to check if your new home has Telstra  (foxtel)  Cable internet available.

You can ring Big Pond on  133 933.

Hope that helps

I am Not a Telstra employee. I have been a mobile phone customer since 1963.    If my advice has been helpful, a Kudos vote would be most appreciated. Also, if my advice was a solution, please will you mark as a solution.  Many thanks.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
CarlyJ
Level 2: Rookie

(WITHOUT SPENDING A FORTUNE)

Is going to cost me $169 for new connection. You don't need phone line for broadband connection. Need to know what other connections are available, apart from ADSL..
Level 22: Superhuman

Carly, I really need more detail from you to give you an accurate answer.

Broadband can be achieved by ADSL, and broadband can also be achieved by   (Foxtel)  Cable as I explained   (and even wireless which is strictly not broadband).

You say you don't need a phone line for a broadband connection...........are you saying you can get a Foxtel HFC cable connection for your internet?

Regardless $169.00 is a very reasonable amount for a new connection.  Does that include the modem?

The accuracy of my answer depends on the receiving detailed information from you please !!!

Telstra also own an internet company called Belong, who are extremely competitive re pricing. You may wish to ring them.

Without further specific  information, I'm sorry I can't offer you more.     Thank you.

Kind regards

Professor Phone  

I am Not a Telstra employee. I have been a mobile phone customer since 1963.    If my advice has been helpful, a Kudos vote would be most appreciated. Also, if my advice was a solution, please will you mark as a solution.  Many thanks.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Accepted Solution

ADSL including Naked ADSL requires an phone line to be installed,

Cable/HFC does not require a phone line to be installed, but requires a HFC Cable port to be installed (the same as a Cable Foxtel Port) 

NBN connections (where availble) require either a NBN Wireless or a NBN Fixed connection installation.

You could consider an 4G wireless service, it is not really the most optimal solution (price is higher and data is lower) however is the only one which does not require any sort of installation.

If you are currently with Telstra and moving you could have a word with the Moving Home team and see what they can do to help? 

ADSL is the most common form of internet and it DOES require a phone line, it can be done Naked without an phone connection, but it does require the line.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now