CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JohnWP
Level 2: Rookie

My Email about the NBN was Spam blocked by NBN Administrator

Answered

My emails about the NBN are being rejected as Spam by the NBN System Administrator, Why? NBN says it is not them but my ISP (Telstra).

Header looks nothing like a Telstra Header & has no Address & no Properties?

I retyped the 6 occurrences of NBN to BNB & it went. Is there a filter being applied by NBN?

Anybody else had this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JohnWP
Accepted Solution

Re: My Email about the NBN was Spam blocked by NBN Administrator

I understand that you would normally expect to be able to get data about the header & it's origins. I have provided Header data before when submitting Spam reports to Spam Watch etc. However in this case the header is as "flat as a tack". There are no Properties to view - nothing to give away it's origins. This should not be allowed. I have reported this to the TIO who has taken notes for possible discussion with ACMA. However the TIO states that "this is a policy issue for a Telecommunications Wholesaler" and as such should be reported to the ACMA. THis I have done and still awaiting a reply from them. The full email with Header was sent to ACMA. But because the response to my complaint to NBN was "this is from your OPC" not us?  I am after a copy of what an outgoing email blocked by Telecom Administrator as spam would look like, particularly the Header and it's Properties. Regards John

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
JohnWP

I would like a Telstra response with a copy of what a Telstra Spam blocked outgoing email header would look like? So I can compare it with the NBN Header to my emails.

Level 25: The Singularity

You need to look and see what server is returning the error.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 21: Augmented

I don't think that OP really knows what (s)he is talking about... The message sounds too confused… OP, can you provide some headers for us (who know!) to analyse?

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
JohnWP
Accepted Solution

I understand that you would normally expect to be able to get data about the header & it's origins. I have provided Header data before when submitting Spam reports to Spam Watch etc. However in this case the header is as "flat as a tack". There are no Properties to view - nothing to give away it's origins. This should not be allowed. I have reported this to the TIO who has taken notes for possible discussion with ACMA. However the TIO states that "this is a policy issue for a Telecommunications Wholesaler" and as such should be reported to the ACMA. THis I have done and still awaiting a reply from them. The full email with Header was sent to ACMA. But because the response to my complaint to NBN was "this is from your OPC" not us?  I am after a copy of what an outgoing email blocked by Telecom Administrator as spam would look like, particularly the Header and it's Properties. Regards John

JohnWP

Sorry for the BooBoo of "OPC". Should have been RSP (Retail Service Provider) which is Telstra.
John

The header varies depending on which server is is passing through. It won't have Telecom in it as that name disappeared 20 odd years ago.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JohnWP

Thanks Jupiter.

It was a miss quote, but then I had 34 years in PMG, Telecom & Telstra & I am thus likely to use the (old) names at times.

As an update I have re-sent the same email as that rejected initially ( to my Inbox) & it was not rejected or called Spam. I can only assume that my protestations to NBN, TIO & ACMA have caused some discussions that has lead to a change in tactics (or policy?).

As far as I am concerned the matter is now closed. The ACMA did not reply to my report (as they suggested if they did not need additional information).

The Email in question:-

Undeliverable: NBN

System Administrator

Sent: Wed 9/01/2019 7:02 PM

To: (my email name) (This does not open up to the actual email address, likewise the Recipients). So action was taken to remove all links.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    NBN

Sent: 9/01/2019 7:02 PM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

Jeff ********** on 9/01/2019 7:02 PM

550 5.7.1 5BB3FB5011618AB6 Message content rejected due to suspected spam. OB703

'Rob **********' on 9/01/2019 7:02 PM

550 5.7.1 5BB3FB5011618AB6 Message content rejected due to suspected spam. OB703

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now