Highlighted
erique
Level 2: Rookie

NB - Huge discrepancy between Speed Test and real speeds

Answered

I live in a country area and have an NBN WiFi connection with a promised max speed of 25MB/s (disclaimers apply, of course). I'm about 5km from the local tower.

 

When I run a speed test I get these encouraging numbers and others like it:

 

4054970644.png

 

As I live in the real world, I don't have any expectations of actually ever reaching such lofty speeds with the current implementation of the NBN, but I am disappointed that my max download speed never even breaks through the 3MB/s barrier. Sure, I see that I apparently have a better speed than 55% of Australia, but that only makes me dispare for the other 45%.

 

I have read numerous posts here regarding speed issues and done all the tech-suggested exercises (resetting to factory, disconnecting everything but one device, etc). None of it has made any difference. I have even tried wrapping a HDMI cable and metal dog chain around my modem as one shining light here suggested that works – but not for me.

 

No time (or inclination) to hang on the phone for an hour and a half waiting for someone from Telstra to take my call, so I'm posting here to see if I'm alone in the woods, or if this is a common issue.

 

I just want to know how come there is such a discrepancy between the speed test and the real-world speed and if there is anything elase I can try to make them perhaps meet at a halfway point.

 

Any (polite) comments welcomed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NB - Huge discrepancy between Speed Test and real speeds

Are you getting 3 megabytes a second download or 3 megabits a second download?

 

If it is 3 megabytes a second, that is your 25Mb/s running full speed (3MB/s = 24Mb/s)

 

Most restrictions will occur at the other end of the connection.  If the file you are trying to obtain is connected to a system that can only support 3mb/s uploads and you are the only person downloading it, you will get 3mb/s, if there are 2 perople downloading, it will be more like 1.5mb/s.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

  • Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NB - Huge discrepancy between Speed Test and real speeds

Are you getting 3 megabytes a second download or 3 megabits a second download?

 

If it is 3 megabytes a second, that is your 25Mb/s running full speed (3MB/s = 24Mb/s)

 

Most restrictions will occur at the other end of the connection.  If the file you are trying to obtain is connected to a system that can only support 3mb/s uploads and you are the only person downloading it, you will get 3mb/s, if there are 2 perople downloading, it will be more like 1.5mb/s.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
erique
Level 2: Rookie

Re: NB - Huge discrepancy between Speed Test and real speeds

Jupiter, thanks for clarifying that for me. I'd not realised there was a diff between megabits and megabytes.

 

I feel much less badly done by, because my speeds are indeed in megabytes, so if I understand you correctly I'm doing pretty well, getting the speeds I'm getting. Happy I am.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now