Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
slapper
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: NBN 50/20 Upload Speed dropped to 5mbps

I've had Ultimate Cable for years .. a legacy of wanting to do video calls to a geographically distributed family at Christmas.  I think there was even a mention on the news in Darwin a few years ago about those calls .. we used to just set up the link and let whoever happened to be wandering past the laptop chat to whoever was wandering past up the other end Smiley Happy

I don't have historical measurements though .. never seemed necessary.  I know my downloads at least have been in the 90's for yonks though.  It's probable that the 40's up I was recently seeing on cable were a recent thing I suppose, I seem to vaguely recall that 10 was "the number"".  My current sporadically conducted speedtest logs show high 11's in January at least.

The internal wiring in my house was one outlet, no ADSL filters before the NBN Tech came by but, yep, he checked Smiley Happy  The only tangible thing he did was replace the screw terminals with scotchloks.

Unless there remains a problem between the facia of my house and the pit ...

I don''t really know what the 100/40 DPU Status he showed me actually means though .. not sure wheret hat measurement is, but I assumed it was the DPU to the NCD ..

I eat glue
slapper

Telstra user with same problem by the looks:  

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9r7541r3

Telstra user with similar prblem (he's on a Tier50 plan):

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/9znjnwj9

I eat glue
slapper

Another WTF? twist.

Yesterday at 16:51, I recorded a drop-out that lasted 10 minutes.  When it came back, my location reports as in Darwin!

Everything .. Ookla's speedtest, google maps blah blah thinks I'm in Darwin!!

WTF?!!

I eat glue
slapper

What irks me most about this is that Telstra don't seem to care.

When Vin, the Telstra case manager, booked the Telstra tech, he told me he'd call me soon afterwards.

The Telstra tech came around Saturday morning, replaced the NCD but could not fix the problem.  He told me to expect a call from my Case Manager within 2 hours.

I 24x7 chatted late Saturday morning to make sure that they were still monitoring my connection as it was now a week since they told me they'd monitor it for a week.  They told me to expect a call from the Case Manager within 24 hours.

So .. Vin said he'd call, the Tech said Vin would call within 2 hours, 24x7 said Vin would call within 24 hours.  And guess what?  Vin has not called.  I'm willing to bet that he will never call, it will be up to me to chase him up.

It's now late Monday morning and I have not been called by anyone.  In fact, I have never been called by anyone during this whole debacle.  In short, Telstra don't actually care about me, their customer.

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Sorry to hear this hasn't been resolved for you yet @slapper.

I've emailed your case manager requesting an update and to follow this up with you as soon as they can. Please let me know if you don't hear from them within 1-2 days. 

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

slapper

@TimmyT  thanks, but I don't think it's much help to suggest that I just "wait some more" !!

Vin has had plenty of time to call me, I (respectfully) suspect that you emailing him and asking him to pull his finger out won't make one jot of difference.

I have a complaint with the TIO, I've seen some people have had some modicum of success by raising a complaint with the CEO's office .. maybe it's time I tried that.

I eat glue
slapper

I mean look at this rubbish .. this is my graph just since midnight:Untitled.png

You wanna see 3 weeks worth of pain?

Untitled.png

I have to delete the ping data from this graph though as they sometimes get so huge they make everything else invisible!

You can easily see that something happened that dropped my uploads from 40 Mbps to less than 5 on 4th July around 11:30 pm.

I eat glue
slapper

Wellll ... Vin finally called me - 3 days after the Telstra tech was at my house.  So much for 2 hours, 24 hours or even 48 hours.

Amidst other things, he told me that he believes NBN simply mark tickets as "fixed" without actually doing anything.  When I suggested this amounted to fraud he simply carried on without commenting further. 

He told me that the Tech on Saturday morning had escalated it to the NBN but that nothing has been done in the ensuing 3 days.  Vin apparently doesn't know whether the NBN work on weekends.  He told me he would escalate it to "Level 2" and that I should wait another 24-48 hours for him to call me.

So .. three days after Telstra visited and could not fix the fault I'm told that I should wait another 2 days to see if anything gets done.  Apparently the Tech indicating a "could not repair" on Saturday made absolutely nothing happen.  Yet again .. what an appallingly poor response.  

I eat glue
slapper

Is it coincidence that my NBN plan appears to be mirroring the 100/5 _Standard_ Cable speeds?

Along the way, I have stumbled across a news article indicating that Standard Cable Broadband download speeds were lifted to 100 Mbps in May, with the upload speeds capped at 5 Mbps.  I was on Ultimate Cable at the time so I was already getting 90+ down and 30+ up.

Without being aware of this, I simply noticed a couple of months later that the word Ultimate had been dropped from my plan description as of May.  

I rang Telstra to try and find out why my Ultimate Cable subscription had mysteriously been downgraded to Standard Cable without my consent, any variation in my monthly charges or even contacting me in any way.  Nobody could explain the change and, as I'd been advised that by several emails and snail-mails that I was now NBN ready, I asked whether I could just swap across with the same 100/40 speeds.  It was all okayed and arranged. 

So .. even though I was actually getting 100/40 "equivalent" speeds, my swap to NBN actually happened at a time when my account said that I was on "Standard Cable" .

Is it coincidence that my current NBN experience seems to be mirroring what a Standard Cable plan would look like?  Maybe not ....

I eat glue
slapper

well .. in what completely and utterly fails to surprise me, absolutely nothing has happened.

In spite of Vin promising me that he would call me "within 24-48 hours", he has not.

My connection remains the same .. 95 down most of the time and 5 up.  I still see daily drop-outs, sometimes requiring power-cycling the NCD is required before it comes back.

5 days Telstra .. 5 days since your technician could not fix the problem and you have done nothing.

This is an appalling joke.  Telstra - you suck.

I have now raised a complaint with the CEO (in addition to the complaint I have with the TIO) .. just in case it has any effect!

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Hey slapper,

Sorry to learn you haven't received the promised call back. if you have the reference number for the commitment made I'm happy to follow this up. It will match one of the examples here: What Reference Numbers can I obtain from Telstra?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

slapper

SR1-2118423298002

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Slapper, I have forwarded a screenshot of the first post I responded to the assigned case manager and their team leader, asking they get in touch ASAP. I have also asked the TL feed my request through to another team member if the original is unavailable for any reason.

slapper

I tried to ring Vin 15 minutes ago.  He's not at his desk so I left a message with Ryan asking Vin to call me - reminding him that he's missed his 48 hours promise.

Although I will be unavailable between 11am and 12:30 Adelaide time ..

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Good plan, he's now had a reminder internally as well! Keep us posted Smiley Happy

slapper

@Big_Dan 

Who accepted your post as a solution?  It's clearly not!!

The OP on that thread is still having the same problems, as am I.  No solution at all has been posted on this thread!

Your post is a painful reminder that Telstra Case Managers need multiple reminders (both internal and external) to do what they promised!!

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

I'm assuming it was a mis-click slapper, I'm not going throw anyone under the bus.

slapper

Smiley Happy

Can it be un-accepted?  It clearly isn't actually a solution!!

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Way ahead of you Smiley Happy

Duncan14
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Dan,

As the original poster I am still waiting for contact from Telstra, perhaps you are calling on my landline (read as I never use) or another number which I don’t access. I’m kinda waiting for the outcome of Slapper to see what’s done to rectify it. 

Support Team
Support Team

Got a reference number for me Duncan14? Happy to take the same action if so.

Duncan14

Hi Dan,

Complaint Number is SR1-12117954853787

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Duncan14. I'll fire off that request now. In the mean time, can you log in to My Account here:  https://tel.st/u7g34 or the 24x7 App here:  https://tel.st/ccv9t and make sure the contact details we have for you are up to date please? I'll advise the case manager that you are updating them.

Duncan14

Hi Dan,

I’ve just tried to update my details and it doesn’t allow me to leave my email ending in bigpond.com as the contact email???

I don’t want to change that to another email address. 

Support Team
Support Team

Weird, frustrating, but given we need a call back it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Once the case manager makes contact by phone you can ask they update your contact email address at the same time.

slapper

me neither!!

It's been my bigpond address for years .. it disappeared at some stage and now won't let me use it.

I was going to wait until this all went away before chasing it though Smiley Sad

I eat glue
slapper

update: so Vin finally called me .. to tell me that the NBN had remotely tested the line and say that everything is fine.  He could not explain why it has taken 5 days (from the Telstra tech raising it) to get that advice.  He could not explain why the NBN claim that 5 Mbps upload is acceptable. 

I asked him in an earlier call about reactivating my Cable connection whilst we diagnose the NBN problems, at that time he said that he'd ask them but the NBN almost never do that.  When I asked about how that had gone, he admitted that he never asked.  I reminded him of the value of actually doing what he tells me he's going to do and asked him, again, to contact them.  I told him to let them know that I was getting 95/35 on my Telstra Cable connection - the 35 up indicates that it's probably a Telstra HFC connection linked to NBN somewhere along the way?  Given his record so far, notwithstanding his new promise to ask, I'm not optimistic he'll even try.

He wants to get Telstra and NBN IT on the case.  The best he can offer is a Telstra Platinum Tech on the 30th.  Really?  So I get to wait another week and a half until Telstra even make the next attempt to diagnose the fault?  Booooo!

I eat glue
Highlighted
Duncan14

Hi Slapper

Well I finally got a call from my case manager thanks to Dan. I explained the situation and said I’d done all the checks they’d ask me to do. I’ve been told to wait until next Tuesday for another call as apparently there are faults in my area at the moment. The only fault I can find is a PSTN fault, I’m not really sure what that has to do with the NBN?? Anyway I’m a patient man, so I will wait til next Tuesday 😕

slapper

good luck Patient Man Smiley Happy

I eat glue
slapper

And today's WTF:

I got the ""Hi, you recently contacted us about the Connection issue of your NBN Service.  We believe this is now fixed blah blah ..."

"reply NO and we'll be in touch"

So I reply NO ..

Unsurprisingly nobody's been in touch yet!!

Ludicrous incompetence!  Sheesh!!

I eat glue
Duncan14

Hi @slapper I thought I’d give you an update. After speaking with my case manager I requested he give my connection a speed boost and see what happened. The great news is I’m now running at 94.8 down and 38.9 up. So there’s nothing wrong with the capability of the connection. I suggested this as I read somewhere it’s a good test to see if it rectifies the issue. He will call me again tomorrow to see what happened and how we go about fixing my upload speed on 50/20. More than happy for Telstra just to offer me the higher speed FOC. 

slapper

Platinum Tech finally arrived.  As expected, he couldn't fix it.  The dropouts have become less frequent, it's now 5 days since I had to power cycle the NCD and modem (that was DNS servers not findable etc).

After spending more than an hour on the phone, he said he's requested an escalation to NC&F at the GOC.  Whatever that means!

Despite Vin assuring me that he would call within 2 hours of the Tech's visit .. it's been more than 4 and I guess I'll just have to call him.  Again.  Sigh ...

I eat glue
slapper

Wellllllll .. progress!!
...  I stumbled across a thread in an overclockers forum where it looks like someone from the NBN is a member and has the power to do whatever needed to be done.

image.png

He tells me there's not much info he can divulge except that it _is_ an NBN problem.

He also tells me it's not Adelaide specific and that he's merely doing "a thing" that is in progress as part of a larger rollout but without waiting for the rollout ...

for the moment at least ... I appear to be happy Smiley Happy

I eat glue
Level 22: Superhuman

That would explain why its been so difficult to fix.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

slapper

So .. for anyone stumbling across this thread who also has this problem.

After confirming that you have good sync speeds between the DPU and the NCD in your house, you need to get your provider to escalate it with the NBN.  They need to be specifically told that the sync speed is good, the DSL link is good, but the upload throughput is lousy.

Apparently their assurance teams know about the issue and a properly rolled out widespread fix is in development.  Notwithstanding that, fixes are able to be selectively applied to individual connections .. and their assurance teams know how to do that.

I suspect that my main problem (ie: why it was taking so long) was in convincing my provider (Telstra) to demand a meaningful response from the NBN (who apparently reviewed my line 3 or 4 times and claimed that, because the DSL link was good, it wasn't NBN's problem).

@343GuiltySpark Yeah .. being an NBN problem, I can see that it would be difficult to diagnose.  I don't accept Telstra taking so long to actually chase the problem though - I'm a month into this problem and Telstra still hadn't even got to the point where they had decided it was an "upstream" issue.  We should have been at that point when the Tech observed all this 2 1/2 weeks ago.  Unfortunately, this is just another example of how flawed the NBN vs provider relationship is - and how it fails to provide a decent experience for the end users.

I eat glue

I do personally look forward to the day when things are easier to manage with NBN. Its not pleasant for customers or those of us on the other side in the middle trying to resolve it on the customers behalf.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now