Duncan14
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN 50/20 Upload Speed dropped to 5mbps

Hi everyone,
Up until 4 days ago my new NBN 50/20 connection was working perfectly. Now I’ve noticed my upload speed has dropped to 5mbps consistently like it has been throttled. I noticed this issue while trying to upload files to a server at my work as it kept coming up with errors. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and what I can do to have it rectified. Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
85 REPLIES 85
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN 50/20 Upload Speed dropped to 5mbps

1: Has your download speed changed?
2: Is the upload speed from a speed test website like speedtest.telstra.com or the upload speed shown when uploading files to your work server?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being

Could you post the link stats of your connection? (Maximum speed, actual speed, attenuation etc). The link stats are located here on Telstra modems.

Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

Duncan14

Cannot seem to add screenshots here, but it’s all showing 0’s anyway

Duncan14

No my download speed is the same. I’ve noticed the reports from my Fingbox and also the Telstra Home Dashboard test. I need to load large files (3GB) and it’s failing as it’s taking too long now.

If recommend turning Wi-Fi off on your modem and disconnect all devices connected via Ethernet expect 1 and run a speed test on that device.

If you're download speed hasnt changed it probably isn't a line fault and is more likely that one of your other devices is trying to upload something like iCloud or drop box
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Duncan14

Hi, I have just done as you’ve suggested and it has made absolutely no difference. I think the only thing that’s possible is that Telstra have reduced my upload speed. There is nothing new on my network that would have created this issue. The interesting thing to note is that at the moment it occurred, my Fingbox reported an outage for one minute, then ever since then my upload speed has dropped. Guess I’ll be on the phone tomorrow to Telstra to get them to check what’s going on.

Have you done a speed test on more than one device. It is unlikely that Telstra would throttle the upload speed and if the NBN speed tier had been changed it would have also effected the download speed.

What type off NBN connection do you have?

Which Model Modem do you have?

Duncan14

My NBN connection is FTTC and I have a Telstra Smart Modem.
slapper
Level 5: Eagle Eye

interesting ....

I have 2 week old FTTC here with a Telstra Smart Modem Gen2.  I am on the Premium plan (100/40) and have been logging my connection every 10 minutes with a script as I'm having frequent dropouts.  When it's up, I get 95 ish down and 40 ish up.

However, on Thursday at 11pm the connection dropped out for 20 minutes and then came back.  Ever since then, I get 95 is DOWNLOAD and 5 Mbps or less UPLOAD speed.

I've seen a few dropouts and everything has been power-cycled a few times.

I powered down the FTTC NCD and disconnected it from the wall socket for 5 minutes too.

Every time it comes back up, it's 95 ish down and 5 ish up.

I wonder if there's a connection ......

I have an NBN tech appointment in a couple of days, but I'm not optimistic they'll find anything Smiley Sad

PS: this is on a desktop PC hard connected to the modem (not wifi), and no other devices connected via cables or wifi.

I eat glue

If you plug your computer directly into the NCD and remove the modem entirely from the equation is your upload speed still affected?

Which model modem do you have and what firmware does it have? There might have been a firmware or configuration file update.

There are three versions of the smart modem.

• Smart Modem Gen 1.1 Technicolor DJA0230
  • Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor DJA0231
  • Smart Modem Gen 2 Technicolor LH1000

On the Technicolor modems firmware can be checked by going to http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Gateway

On the Arcadyan modems firmware can be checked by going to http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced >Info Summary

Default log in credentials on Gen 2 modems is admin / Telstra

slapper

okey dokes ....  pulled the cable and put the PC in place of the modem.

It took a while as I needed to power the NCD down and blah and blah

Same result .. 95 down, 5 up.  interestingly, now that I'm back to everything as normal (ie: using the modem), I'm getting 96 Mbps down and 10 up.

Modem is the Technicolor DJA0231 with Firmware Version 18.1.c.0347-950-RC

I eat glue
slapper

just ran another test .. back to 5 up Smiley Sad

I eat glue
Duncan14

Hi Slapper, my modem and firmware are exactly the same as yours. Something is not right here. My Fingbox tests the speed 6 times a day and something has occurred on Wed 3rd July at 11.16pm to affect my upload speed.
slapper

I run a speedtest-cli script once every 10 minutes at the moment .. mine dropped out on Thursday 4th, ie: the day after yours by the looks.  Sometime soonish after 11:12 pm

I measured

datetimedloaduloadping
7/04/201922:4193.8932.919.718
7/04/201922:5188.1630.438.952
7/04/201923:0194.5934.219.159
7/04/201923:1293.7234.656.063
7/04/201923:223.930.9333.327
7/04/201923:3200error
7/04/201923:425.69135.057
7/04/201923:525.360.8433.439
7/05/20190:0292.65.19.278
7/05/20190:1295.255.210.191
7/05/20190:2294.484.484.794

I eat glue

That rules out the modem being the cause, most likely an issue with the NBN side of things, though I'd be curious to see what the line tests come back as on your service. Telstra can only turn the tap on your connection off or down to a few drops so to say - not restrict it to a certain speed. You'll need to report a fault so NBN co can investigate.

slapper

I have an NBN tech appointment on the 9th.  Let's hope they manage to find something!

I'll post the outcome here Smiley Happy

dammit!  I came from an Ultimate Cable setup that's been rock-solid for years!!

I eat glue

Granted on Cable connections the Max upload is currently on 5mbps compared to the 40 Mbps available currently available on NBN ( 100 mbps uploads being available on NBN FTTP from some other Providers) FTTC when its working is an improvement - you could have gotten NBN HFC.

slapper

Well .. it didn't happen. For the second time, they did a "remote test", concluded that everything was fine and cancelled the visit.

I have another visit booked for this morning and no real assurance they won't do exactly the same thing - frankly I'm tired of Telstra 24x7 chat rep's telling me that they're my best friend and that we'll "solve this together" and that they "really appreciate me" only to have nothing get fixed.

Unfortunately, they also tell me that FTTC is the only option - HFC is not available.

I eat glue

NBN can be difficult like that as if you can get 25mbps down and 5mbps up at least once per day, your connection meets there minimum speed standards. It can take a couple of tries to get them to come out for speed issues that meet the minimum specification.

slapper

Yeah ... but that should be Telstra's problem!!
They're billing me for a Tier100 product but not delivering it.

This is a fundamental issue with the NBN .. finger-pointing!  Telstra won't take ownership of the problem and pursue it through with their supplier.

The trouble is that the line is clearly capable of delivering .. it did so for a few days before stopping.  I have no idea whether it's related to the frequent drop-outs though.

I eat glue

If you are experiencing drop outs then it is probably related and it could be a cable fault. If you have more the 7 drop outs a NBN Co should fix the problem. Have you reported the drop outs?

slapper

Bloody hell.  The tech has cancelled AGAIN!!!

The Telstra rep I spoke to said that they can see dropouts etc, so they've "rejected" the tech's notes .. fat lot of good I expect that to do.

Telstra assured me yesterday I would get a call from a case manager within 24 hours .. no call.

They have now assured me that I will get a call within an hour .... I'll not hold my breath!

I really don't want to ring the 1800 number and spend an eternity trying to get to someone who can actually do something, but that'll probably be me in an hour!

I eat glue
slapper

Reported to who?  Telstra - yes.

I've seen more than 10 in the 2 1/2 weeks since the NBN was installed ...

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @slapper

Thanks for contacting us although I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the upload speed of your NBN service.

The first thing to do if you have issues with our service is to check the location here

Is your address affected by a disruption?

If so, we would be aiming to fix services as quickly as possible.

If no disruptions are listed, my advice would be to login here & complete the troubleshooting as it may help fix any issues you're currently experiencing, but also helps speed up the fault process if you need to call our fault team on 1800 834 273. 

You'll receive a reference number that can be quoted to our tech staff if the troubleshooting link doesn't resolve. If they're unable to resolve over the phone, they may monitor the connection or arrange a tech appointment. 

Being you've mentioned a case manager, it sounds like a complaint may have been raised about this. With complaints, you can expect contact asap however it does usually occur within 5 business days after they are raised.

Were you provided with a reference number that looks similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX?

Also, has the tech appointment been rescheduled?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

slapper

no, it hasn't been rescheduled.  I was told I would receive a phone call within an hour .. it is now just over an hour and, yep, no phone call Smiley Sad
I have not been given an SR number, just incident numbers (eg: INC06190890 , INC06214417)

oh and yeah, I've been through the Smart Troubleshooter many times Smiley Happy

I eat glue
slapper

Possibly the most ludicrous aspect of this whole debacle is that Telstra themselves asked me to switch a perfectly good Telstra cable plan to the NBN!

Is that 1800 834 273 number the number I need to ring or is that just going to give me more pain (I'm beyond frustratingly angry already!)?

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Glad to hear you've ran through the troubleshooting @slapper

They appear to be an incident reference from our NBN team here at Telstra.

My advice would be to speak with them online here or call 1800 834 273 & quote your most recent incident reference so they can investigate.

They'll be able to confirm the status of the fault, provide details & arrange another appointment if required.

Please keep me updated with how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

slapper

I've already spent in excess of 10 hours on the 24x7 chat tool!  Each and every tech appointment has started with a 24x7 chat and I've been advised of the cancellation only when using it again to find out what's happening.

It has largely been a fruitless exercise regarding the NBN tech visits though (there have been 3 scheduled already) as the rep's simply keep telling me "oh, the tech has cancelled claiming that everything is okay".  On the most recent chat (an hour ago), Prem informed me that he had "rejected the tech's notes", he had escalated it and I'd be getting a call within the hour.  Surely that isn't all there is to it?  "reject the notes"?  He told me that he could see the dropouts so surely that should be enough for them to go back to the NBN and demand they apply a proper diagnostic effort?

I have been told that Telstra will call me within 24 hours .. no call.

I have been told that Telstra will call me within 1 hour .. no call (it's been an hour and a half now!)

sigh .. looks like I can't escape the 1800 pain ...

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

It's disappointing to hear you haven't been contacted back @slapper

While we should be able to help with this when you call 1800 834 273 or online here, if you're having trouble getting this resolved or investigated after attempting this, please raise a complaint through our online form here & a dedicated case manager will be assigned to work with you to help resolve the matter. 

Upon submitting, you will receive a reference number that looks similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX & can expect contact within 5 business days. 

If there's anything else you need assistance with, please let me know.

I'm happy to help where possible or at least point you in the right direction.

slapper

well .. the 1800 experience is complete .. I have an SRN: SR1-2118423298002

The NBN tech is rescheduled for tomorrow 8-12

I also raised a complaint with the TIO before I called Smiley Sad

I eat glue
slapper

Sorry @Duncan14 , I've completely hijacked your thread!

The only useful information I can give is that I seemed to get way more feedback out of the 1800 number than the 24x7 chat - that may be because I told them about all the problems I'd been having but who knows.

It does seem that the issue is on the NBN's side though ...

good luck Smiley Happy

I eat glue
Duncan14

Thanks @slapper. I kind of gave up on the whole CrowdSupport thing and just filed a complaint. I’m waiting my 5 days now for somebody to contact me.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Duncan.

We would normally expect you would have already been contacted by a case manager within this time frame, apologies if this hasn't happened in your case. Do you have the reference number for the complaint at all? Let me know and I'll do what I can to follow up for you.

-Kieran

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Duncan14

Hi Kieran, I only filed the complaint this morning. My reference number is SR 1-2117954853787
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for clarifying. I have escalated this with our complaints area. The time frame for a contact from your case manager can be up to 5 days, although we usually find that this happens within 2 days. Please keep me updated with what happens from here.

-Kieran

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

slapper

I should clarify .. I raised a complaint with the TIO as I believed a Telstra one had already been raised during one of my 24x7 chats …
Telstra: would you like me to raise a complaint?

Me: Yes

Today, my 1800 handler told me that no Telstra complaint had actually been raised .. so my call that I was waiting 24 hours for would never come.  Nevertheless, I believe the number I was given today is a reference to a Telstra complaint that he has now raised on my behalf.  Phew .. this is doing my head in!  Fingers crossed that something useful happens tomorrow morning Smiley Happy

I eat glue
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update.

The contact from you case manager may not be as soon as tomorrow morning, but we would still expect this to happen in the next two business days. Please let me know how you go.

-Kieran

slapper

Thanks @KieranB  .. that's cool - tomorrow morning is when the NBN tech has been rescheduled (again) for Smiley Happy
They did tell me that the case manager would be 24-48 hours Smiley Happy

I eat glue
slapper

update:NBN tech has been ...  he was approachable, friendly and the experience was positive.

Luckily for me, something had **bleep** itself in a "reliable" manner and I was only getting 25 ish down and less than 1Mbps up overnight.  By the morning, the modem was in 4G mode and the tech could see that the NCD was disconnected..

He checked the connection in the street and discovered that the legacy connection to the exchange was still connected - this should have been cut the NBN connection was originally done.  He cut it.  He also replaced the screw terminal connections at my house and in my roof with scotchlok connectors.

He also showed me the log which showed he was actually the first tech to look at this - he was perplexed when I told him that Telstra had told me the 3 tech's had already done a remote test, concluded everything was okay and decided not to attend.

He showed a screen shot from the DPU Port Status app that showed 109.00/44.33 Mbps to my NCD.  When I do a Telstra speed test from a computer direct connected to the modem, I still get 95 down and 5 ish up.  His conclusion is that it's now a problem between the NCD and the modem.

It's good that he found problems and fixed them, but it's bad that I now have to go back to Telstra ....

I eat glue
slapper

and now it's just dropped back to 16 down, 1 up .. and I was chatting to the 1800 call when it spontaneously disconnected!

sigh .. ring again!

I eat glue
slapper

on the phone to the Telstra 1800 number. 

We've confirmed that a computer direct connected to the NCD also sees 95 down, 5 up.

They want to go back to "we'll monitor and someone will call you back in 24-48 hours".

WTF?!!  The line has been monitored for days now!

Okay .. they'll email my case manager and get them to call me asap.

What a pallaver!!

I eat glue

I'm more inclined to believe it's an issue with the NCD. Did the tech test the connection from a your computer/device straight from the NCD?

slapper

@343GuiltySpark  

I'm inclined to think the same thing.  It's possible (I guess) that it didn't like being presented with 46V from the exchange for an extended period of time.  Maybe after a week of that it gave up Smiley Happy

Case manager called and he wanted to book a Telstra Platinum Tech .. in 2 weeks!  I said that was too long, so he booked an "ordinary" sub-contractor tech for Saturday morning .. they will bring a replacement NCD.

I'm hopeful that will fix the weird 5 MBps upload speeds.

I think there are two distinct problems with my connection:

1) dropouts

2) low upload speed

I'm hoping that severing the legacy 50V connection to the exchange and remaking the inter-connects between the pit and my wall-plug (how many dB of attenuation to an RF signal would that remove?!) will fix the dropouts - although it's too early to tell on that one yet.

Fingers crossed!

I eat glue
slapper

update: Telstra Tech has been and replaced the NCD with no change in the line status.

I have also continued to see drop-outs after the NBN Tech visited on Thursday.

I suggested to the Case Manager on Thursday they should reactivate my rock-solid cable service whilst we try and discover what's going wrong .. I'm happy to monitor the NBN etc etc (I am running a speedtest every 5 minutes and logging the result) and swap across properly when the service is reliable.  He tells me that the NBN have blocked that and I can't actually go back Smiley Sad

As I am, the Telstra Tech is of the opinion that the 5Mbps upload speed is a constraint somehow being applied to my connection and recommended I ask to be reduced to 25/5 and wait until that "works.  Then upgrade to 50/20 .. wait a bit (until it works) and then upgrade again to 100/40.  He said he'd seen similar situations where that fixed the problem (at least the slow uploads problem).

The dropouts?  Who knows!

I can't believe I took Telstra at their word when they recommended I swap my perfectly good, rock-solid, 90+ down and 30+ up Ultimate Cable plan for this rubbish!  It just adds insult to injury that they are so off-hand about fixing the problems this has introduced.  I figured that staying with the same provider would help, but it doesn't seem to have.

I eat glue

Max upload on cable was 5mbps not 30.

I'd ask your neighbors if there speed is also slow on upload could be a faulty DPU.

Changing the speed tier may fix it if it's a programming issue

slapper

@343GuiltySpark  I had Ultimate Cable and regularly got 40+ Mbps up, even around peak times  Smiley Happy 

Having a quick squiz back through my records, the fastest I measured up was 49.25 at 9:40pm only a couple of days before the NBN debacle!

The NBN Tech's DPU Port Status app indicated 109.00/44.33 Mbps so I suspect that rules out a problematic DPU?

I'm still waiting for a call from my Case Manager .. the Telstra Tech said to expect a call within 2 hours.  It's been 3 now and no call Smiley Sad

I eat glue
slapper

I'm still seeing drop-outs since the NBN Tech too .. and at least one since the NCD was replaced but it was less than 5 minutes long and didn't get caught by my fault detecting/logging script Smiley Sad

Just checked - a neighbour (connected to the same DPU) on a iinet NBN50 is getting 48/12.  So probably not a dodgey DPU .. may be a dodgey Port .. but that's gotta be reeeeally unlikely Smiley Happy

I eat glue

I'm not sure how you got over 30 as 3mbps upload was the norm for many years and only in the last year or so has 5mbps become the norm on Telstra cable.

If possible check with multiple neighbors as a DPU services up to 4 premise, could be a bad an issue between the main network and DPU not NCD to DPU.  A bad port on the DPU could be the cause.

I'm guessing the NBN tech disconnected any additional phone lines/sockets in the house and wired in devices such as old security alarms.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now