Peter318
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Broadband cuts out every day

Our NBN Broadband cuts out every day at around 9.30 am for around 1 hour. We have reported this so many times and had numerous technicians come and look at it but they cant fix it. The internet and phone goes off together. They have replaced every box multiple times. The technician can see its be disconnected but can not diagnose the problem. Every time we have reported the problem, Telstra will send around a technician. Every time we have asked that they come at 9.00 - 9.30am so they can see the actual fault, every time...without exception they turn up after 12.00pm. We have complained and complained, this has been going on for over 2 years and I am totally over it. 

Since NBN and Telstra are not able to fix this, how can I get ADSL reconnected?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN Broadband cuts out every day

You can not go back to ADSL. What type of NBN connection do you have? (Fixed radio, FTTN/B/C, FTTP or HFC cable)
Highlighted

You can not go back to ADSL. What type of NBN connection do you have? (Fixed radio, FTTN/B/C, FTTP or HFC cable)

Peter318

Hi and thank you for the response.

We have FTTP. 

I suspect the issue is not in the equipment in our house as its all been replaced multiple times, it may be problem at the source. 

In any case there should be a way of logging the outages and investigating the cause.

I am thinking of changing to another supplier, we have mobiles, home phone and streaming through Telstra, we have been a loyal customer, but I am super tired of this issue. The only thing stopping me moving is that its probably an NBN issue, so changing supplier wont fix the problem. 

Can you offer any suggestions on how to get this fixed, I am not going to call the call centre again as I have spend hours dealing with them and I still have the same problem.

When internet cuts out do the lights on the Telstra modem or NBN box change there state?
Peter318

Hi,

When there is a daily outage the lights flash red and yellow, also the phone is dead. When I call the call centre I get them to call the house number, they say it goes to voice mail, I am standing next to the phone, it never rings. 

Is there monitoring that can be set up to see the outages?

If I cant go back to ADSL, then maybe Telstra can provide us with a 5G modem, I need to get off this system as it totally unreliable.

Level 25: The Singularity

Is it the NBN NTD that has the lights flash red and yellow? If so, changing providers won't help. NBN Co would need to come out and fix it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Peter318

Hi,

Yes the lights are as you have stated, and yes there is a major issue with the system.

We have had numerous technicians here on site and none have ever turned up as requested during the outage window. The equipment has all been replaced numerous times and nothing fixes the problem, I doubt the issue is on our premises.

No technician has been able to fix the problem, and I am not going to keep calling to report it as this is a ridiculously painful and time wasting activity that we have been through multiple times. If you look at our case notes you will see the history. In the end NBN have told us it cant be fixed.

What I need is some clear advice and or help to get this resolved. If it cant be fixed then I should have a significant reduction in the bill. It is amasing that this is as good as its going to be, 2 hour outage every day???

Somebody suggested a modem with a SIM card in it, maybe Telstra can offer this to cover the outages each day?

Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

No one here can access the notes on your account as this is only a community forum. If you haven't already done so I'd raise a complaint so that a complaints case manager can look into your case.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Peter318, 

343GuiltySpark is correct in saying that no-one via the forum has access to your account, not even me as a Telstra employee. 

If you want to escalate the case you can do that online, more on that here  https://tel.st/jbrm4

Let me know if I can offer further advice. 

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

It definitely doesn't sound like a problem at your premises (I can't check your case notes as I don't work for Telstra, and privacy issues would prevent any Telstra Staff that monitor this forum from accessing it either). It is the feed to your NTD that is the problem.

The only option is to call 1800 834 273 and report the issue again (plus lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints). Telstra will need to get NBN Co to send out yet another technician.

NBN Co telling you that it can't be fixed is laughable. They are required to make it operational (and are the only ones who can). Unfortunately all Telstra can do is push back on NBN Co to get them to fix it. It sounds like NBN Co just don't want to have to replace a piece of equipment.

If they gave you that response, I would be lodging a complaint about NBN Co with the ombudsman at tio.com.au as it is unacceptable.

When you call Telstra, ask them about a Smart Modem with LTE backup. They may be able to accommodate you (it depends on the circumstances - so no guarantees).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Peter318

Hi,

I have followed your advice, I lodged another complaint with Telstra and also lodged another complaint with the Telecommunication Ombudsman.

Telstra called and offered a modem with a SIM card to bridge the drop out, its a good gesture and we appreciate it, at least we will have coverage. We are also hoping it will log the drop outs.

NBN will still need to fix the issue, maybe in the end 5G will make NBN redundant.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more