Highlighted
jsbrown724
Level 2: Rookie

NBN FTTN Speed Boost Not sold to FTTN Customers?

Answered

Hi, when ringing 1800 TFIBRE (1800 834 273) I am told that Telstra are not selling the Premium Evening Speed boost to FTTN customers.  Is this actually the case?  Given my modem stats from my Telstra Gateway I would have thought it would not have been an issue!

DownstreamUpstream
Actual Rate [Kbps]280006400
Maximum Rate [Kbps]1223956400
Noise Margin [dB]24.2027.90
Attenuation [dB]15.000.00
Power [dBm]3.20-6.20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN FTTN Speed Boost Not sold to FTTN Customers?

The only customers who Telstra does not sell Premium speed boost is Fixed Wireless NBN because Fixed wireless is only capable of 50/20. As far as I know they are still selling it to FTTN customers with links capable of achieving the higher speed. I would ring again.

I notice your maximum upload speed is limited to 6.4 Mbps perhaps that is the reason you can not purchase the Premium Speed Boost.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained

"Even if you choose a higher speed tier or purchase a speed boost, your nbn service can never go faster than the maximum line speed available at your premises. This is particularly relevant to those customers who will be connected by Fibre to the Node (FTTN) or Fibre to the Building (FTTB).

For FTTB and FTTN customers, we can’t confirm your maximum line speed until your service is installed and activated on the nbn network. This means we will only offer the Premium Evening Speed tier once this information is available and if you are eligible, unless we have included it as part of your plan. If your nbn connection doesn’t allow you to properly benefit from the speed tier you’re on, we’ll provide you with your maximum line speed, once it’s available, along with alternative options."

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Accepted Solution

The only customers who Telstra does not sell Premium speed boost is Fixed Wireless NBN because Fixed wireless is only capable of 50/20. As far as I know they are still selling it to FTTN customers with links capable of achieving the higher speed. I would ring again.

I notice your maximum upload speed is limited to 6.4 Mbps perhaps that is the reason you can not purchase the Premium Speed Boost.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained

"Even if you choose a higher speed tier or purchase a speed boost, your nbn service can never go faster than the maximum line speed available at your premises. This is particularly relevant to those customers who will be connected by Fibre to the Node (FTTN) or Fibre to the Building (FTTB).

For FTTB and FTTN customers, we can’t confirm your maximum line speed until your service is installed and activated on the nbn network. This means we will only offer the Premium Evening Speed tier once this information is available and if you are eligible, unless we have included it as part of your plan. If your nbn connection doesn’t allow you to properly benefit from the speed tier you’re on, we’ll provide you with your maximum line speed, once it’s available, along with alternative options."

jsbrown724

Thanks. I went with the Plus Evening speed in the meantime, but did think the info I was given sounded strange and in opposition to the information on the website. I have heard of other users with the Telstra Gateway also having the upstream sync show capped values similar to mine. Will see if it changes once it is all applied. The service was newly provisioned this week.

The maximum rate reading should show you the abosolute maximum your your connection can achieve. Given your maximum download speed i would of expected it to be a lot higher then it is. Hopefully the 6400 is just a display glitch else there may be something else at play with your physical connection
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

@Yastiandrie

I think there is something wrong with the gateways firmware that results in incorrect reading for the upload information.

On my Gateway and on many others that I have seen posted the maximum upload speed is always the same as the upload sync speed.

The link attenuation is also incorrect. In practice you would not expect to have zero attenuation but most of the screen shoots I have seen display zero attenuation.

@cf4 Do you know if it has always done it or if it was originally ok then changed in a update?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

jsbrown724

An interesting tangent here with the firmware info.  The Plus speed boost was applied and the settings are now:

DownstreamUpstream
Actual Rate [Kbps]5499922600
Maximum Rate [Kbps]12136322600
Noise Margin [dB]19.8018.00
Attenuation [dB]15.000.00
Power [dBm]6.40-4.40

The upstream went up as expected but is still not showing the actual maximum!  For interest the device details are:

Hardware VersionFAST5355-A
Software VersionSG7E10001126
GUI Version1.57.40.3

My Gateway has always displayed the incorrect information on a FTTN connection.

I've pushed the info through to the device team

@Yastiandrie

You might also pass on a couple of other minor faults that I have found with the gateway.

1. Traffic Meters: Only the Quick View works. "The Internet Traffic", "Ethernet Network Traffic" and " WiFi Network Traffic" tabs display data when gateway is turned on but only the Quick View tab shows any data after a few hours usage. Rebooting gateway makes all tabs visible. From my observations they stop showing data after about 2 GB has been transmitted over the individual Networks
    used.
  2. WAN as LAN port: Must congratulate the device team for providing this function in the latest update but there is one bug. When WAN port is configured as LAN port devices connected to it don't show as connected devises on Home page or on traffic meters of Gateways GUI.

@cf4 done

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now