CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
immattjones
Level 2: Rookie

NBN (FTTN) - no phone socket

Answered

How do I get my NBN signal to my NBN modem?

Fibre-to-the-Node:
- Connected 01/11/16 by NBN Co
- Telstra NBN service activated (confimred by calling TechSupport)
- New modem (TG800) from Telstra received
- plugged in... no signal
- called Telstra... no idea

We don't have phone socket.

ADSL and phone was via:
- black cable in cabinet in garage terminated in a small white box with RJ45 socket.
- Ethernet cable run up wall cavity in garage and down wall cavity into living area and plugged into ADSL splitter.

- Ethernet (RJ45) plugged into the the ADSL splitter and the two cables (RJ12) connected the splitter to modem and phone.
- this worked fine for ADSL and phone.

Instructions for new modem say "plug into phone socket"

Tried using a RJ45 to RJ12 "joiner" to connect Ethernet cable from wall cavity into RJ12 socket on NBN modem... no signal.

Tried plugging RJ12 directly into the loose white box in garage... no signal.

(N.B. ADSL splitter is not being used. i.e. it's been disconnected and set aside.)

Telstra Tech Support (1800 811 612) said it could take up to two weeks to get a technician out and suggested I go to a Telstra Store to get help.

I'm happy to pay for a technician. Telstra Tech Support didn't seem to know how to arrange one in the next 24-48 hours. They wanted to cancel my current order for NBN and start a new order (including Technican for set up), and all that would take up to 9 business days.

Will a private Electrical Contractor be able to solve this issue?

N.B. House is a rental. Installing a phone socket is not an easy or desirable option... though it is an option.

Thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
immattjones
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN (FTTN) - no phone socket

**Issue Resolved**

The problem was not Telstra, not modem and not home wiring.

The issue was on the NBN Co side.

It took nine days, a dozen calls to Telstra and three visits by NBN Co technician.

To be fair to Telstra, and greatly appreciated by myself, our request for a complementary top-up of our WiFi 4GX device to get us through the period without ADSL or NBN was approved. 

I don't know what the issue with NBN was... but it's fixed.

Back to the original query, I can confirm:

- RJ45 to RJ12 F-F joiner works just fine... now.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Sounds like a bit of a dodgy wiring job has been done on that property.

To connect your new modem, it should have been a simple unplug the cable from the old modem and plug it into the new modem (same cable, same socket in splitter).

You won't get a priority as far as getting a Tech out. It will depend on who is available in the area.

You could get a private contractor in to do the job (I have known some who won't touch the primary phone point though), although if the white box in the gartage is intact, they will wire from the RJ45 port.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
immattjones

In theory should I be able to get NBN signal from the "little white box"

I can use RJ45 to RJ12 reducer and plug modem in to the"little white box" as if it were a phone socket.

I can use  RJ45/RJ12 F-F joiner to conect ethernet cable in living room to the modem.

Could / should / would this work? If not why not? We were getting ADSL via the ethernet cable into ADSL splitter.

I'm keen to do as much amatuer troubleshooting as possible before getting a technician out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, I'd suggest contacting the modem support team directly on 1800 220 033 to see if they have any suggestions. Please let us know how you get on. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

immattjones
Accepted Solution

**Issue Resolved**

The problem was not Telstra, not modem and not home wiring.

The issue was on the NBN Co side.

It took nine days, a dozen calls to Telstra and three visits by NBN Co technician.

To be fair to Telstra, and greatly appreciated by myself, our request for a complementary top-up of our WiFi 4GX device to get us through the period without ADSL or NBN was approved. 

I don't know what the issue with NBN was... but it's fixed.

Back to the original query, I can confirm:

- RJ45 to RJ12 F-F joiner works just fine... now.

Thanks

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now