CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ChrisKling
Level 1: Cadet

NBN FTTN slow upload link speed

We have had an odd combination of upload/download sync ever since we switched to NBN. The modem stats are showing:

• Maximum line rate: 1.11Mbps up, 25.07 Mbps down
  • Line rate: 1.11 Mbps up, 24.34 Mbps down

Given we get a download of 25 I would have expected our upload to have been closer to 5 not 1. We had an NBN tech out recently to fix a broken wire outside and he said our line length back to the node is roughly 600m.

Anyone got any ideas on why the upload is so low? When we first connected the NBN tech said it was strange and thought it was an issue but at the time 12/1 was the minimum allowed and so he said he couldn't look into it further.

I work from home a lot which includes uploading to remote servers and video conferencing and improving my upload speeds would go a long way to helping this!

Modem stats:

stats.PNG

Thanks for any help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN FTTN slow upload link speed

Your attenuation suggests you are more like 1200m from the node, not 600. At 600m your sync rate (maximum line rate) would be somewhere around the 70/30 mbps mark. That can also be the reason for the upload speed

Power levels and noise margins are fine

You can give NBN Assurance a try and see if they can see any other issues with the service, could even potentially be the modem. It could also be at you lost out on 'Node Lotto' thanks to the Liberals MTM plan

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
ChrisKling
Level 1: Cadet

It is odd because I can see the cable to my place and it goes up the stobie pole and then can see the line running down the street to the mini node that we have just 3 doors down. I'd expect the run to be 200-300m by looking at it. Can follow the copper cable quite easily.

Not the modem or the port - tried 3 different modems and had the Telstra tech shorten the interior cabling to see if that helped.

One test that hasn't been tried is connecting a modem right at the junction point on the outside of the house - we have an old central line splitter box there (line splitter removed) and so the cabling is accessible.

I'll give NBN Assurance a call and see if they have any answers.

That would at least rule out internal cabling as the potential cause

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit