CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
PeterHB
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC Connection

I have recently been advised that I can connect to NBN with a HFC connection However I do not have a lead in cable although cable lines are in the telephone pit on my footpath I do not have any wall outlets How will NBN connect me?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN HFC Connection

NBN are responsible for bringing in the cable and installing a termination box usually outside your door.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

NBN Co will first have to install a coaxial lead in cable and wall socket before you can connect. The lead in cable should be free if you already have a existing phone service or fixed line internet connection.

PeterHB

Yes I understand they install a utility box possibly where the telephone gray box stands on my garage wall. But how do the connect to my study where I need the modem?

When the NBN tech visits your premise to install there equipment you can ask to have the internal connection point in your study. They can advise if its possible or depending on the complexity if there would be a cost.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

PeterHB

Thank you I would like to have the connecting cable not too obvious. I have seen some dreadful NBN connections in other places. I assume if I am not happy with the NBN proposal, I would need to use a private cabler.
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Sort of. The NBN will install to where the NBN will install to. That is where the cable adapter (modem) will need to be installed. You can then get a private contractor to install some Cat6 cable from there to where you want the Telstra modem installed.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
PeterHB

Thanks for all the advice. Gives me options when NBN comes to call
PeterHB

Well NBN came to call yesterday as arranged but unfortunately could not connect me up because there was no tap available in the street. They had earlier advised me on their website that my address was ready for connection. Same problem I had 2 years ago. Now I have to wait for a tap to be installed. Discussed the connection from the planned external NBN utility box  with the NBN tech; most of the cable would be exposed and obvious. So have opted to have my electrician do the cable connection at my cost (hopefully a much more professional job}

Support Team
Support Team

So sorry to hear there was no tap available on the street. Let us know how the cable connection goes with your technician.

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

PeterHB

Hello Ryan, 

Last night a tap was installed in my street so now have to wait for NBN to connect the new tap to my house. Slowly getting there

Support Team
Support Team

Hey PeterHB,

Thanks for the update, keep them coming! Glad to learn there's some positive action happening.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

PeterHB

Hello Big Dan, Thanks for your interest, My electrician came yesterday and he managed to install Cat 6 cable from the phone entry box on the wall of my garage up through a wall conduit over to a wall outlet in my study. Neat job, no exposed cabling at all. Waiting for the bill. Telstra have booked NBN to come next Wednesday.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Awesome to hear PeterHB Smiley Happy I'll pass this onto Big_Dan for you. Please reach out any time too. 

PeterHB

No progress The saga continues The NBN technician came out today but could not work out how to link the taps across the road to the pit in front of my house. Said there was no connecting conduit. Needs to get his supervisor and NBN to come out to work out how to connect me. Also he advised that the Cat 6 cabling I had installed needs to be replaced by coaxial cable. Very disappointing

PeterHB

NBN have just advised Telstra that I am in "an inaccessible location" Strange because my neighbour is connected Sounds like NBN speak for "too hard box" Have to go now to pick up more Valium 

PeterHB

NBN came out again today. Managed to find a pit in the court which had been covered up by soil and grass and contained a potential connection to my pit. First success in this long saga. However NBN advises that some "remedial action" is required before connection (when?)

Support Team
Support Team

I appreciate the time taken to keep us updated - if further infrastructure work is needed by NBNCo they would keep you updated on progress and I trust this can be sorted out for you soon.

PeterHB

Hi Greg, Thanks for your interest. Apparently all systems go and NBN is coming out on Friday for connection. Not confident but fingers crossed. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey PeterHB, 

Appreciate the update - I'm glad to hear that things are moving forward. 

It sounds like this is all in hand to be sorted out but please don't hesitate to get back in touch with us here if you have any trouble, more than happy to help in anyway we can. 

Have a great day, 
Jesse

PeterHB

Hi Jesse,
Well no success with my NBN connection. They were not able to run a cable under the street to link me on the NBN connections on the opposite footpath. To make things worse they damaged my telephone line and I have been off-line for two days. Fortunately Telstra was able to reconnect me this afternoon.
 The NBN plan is now to send someone out to map out the underground cable system in the court using a large metal detector to find a missing pit which they need to access. If they cant find it they will have tunnel under the road to lay a new cable which will be quite a major and expensive project. I can't see an early NBN connection.
 It appears the Turnbull/ Abbott decision to use the HFC cable system in lieu of fibre was not smart or cost effective.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now