CrowdSupport®
sma888
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC Connection

Answered

I have booked in a NBN connection in 7 days and I have the following queries if someone who has done it before can help:
1. I am currently using the Telstra Smart Modem - Technicolor DJA0230. I have only received a NBN Conversion kit from Telstra (contains only one cable and no modem), is my current modem (Technicolor DJA0230) suitable for my NBN connection?
2. As NBN is no longer using telephone line, does it mean I can install the NBN connection point anywhere in the house as long as it is close to a power point?

3. My home is a double storey house, can the NBN connection point be installed up stair or Telstra will only install it down stair and it's up to me to hire another installer to relocate to up stair?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC Connection

1. NBN Co will provide a NBN "connector" modem when they perform the installation. Your DJA0230 can plug in to that.
2 & 3. That will depend on the NBN Co (Telstra don't do the installation) installer. Some of them stick by the rules that they are supposed to install as close to the front of the house as possible, some are far more flexible. If the HFC connection comes through underground, then again it will depend on the installer as to whether they are willing to install on the 2nd floor. If it is an aerial installation, then it is far more likely that they will do it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Telstra only supply the gateway.

NBN CO install the wall plate and house cabling and supply a NBN modem. The Telstra Gateway / Modem plugs into the NBN modem.

It is not uncommon for NBN Co to locate the connection point for the NBN modem in the garage.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

1. NBN Co will provide a NBN "connector" modem when they perform the installation. Your DJA0230 can plug in to that.
2 & 3. That will depend on the NBN Co (Telstra don't do the installation) installer. Some of them stick by the rules that they are supposed to install as close to the front of the house as possible, some are far more flexible. If the HFC connection comes through underground, then again it will depend on the installer as to whether they are willing to install on the 2nd floor. If it is an aerial installation, then it is far more likely that they will do it.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

1. The DJA0230 is suitable for a NBN connection.
  2. The NBN  HFC wall plate does not have to be located near a Telephone socket. If you have a Telstra cable connection the existing wall plate will be reused for NBN HFC.
  3. NBN CO determine were the wall plate is located and if it requires extra work to have wall plate located up stairs you will have to pay for the extra cable and labour.
sma888

NBN CO had installed a box outside my house on the side wall of my garage and had not installed any wall plate inside my house. Their role is to make my house NBN ready. I always think the actual installation inside the house will be carried out by the ISP which is Telstra in this case. Isn't that how it should work?
sma888

The DJA0230 is suitable for a NBN connection.
The NBN HFC wall plate does not have to be located near a Telephone socket. If you have a Telstra cable connection the existing wall plate will be reused for NBN HFC.
NBN CO determine were the wall plate is located and if it requires extra work to have wall plate located up stairs you will have to pay for the extra cable and labour.
sma888

NBN CO had installed a box outside my house on the side wall of my garage and had not installed any wall plate inside my house. Their role is to make my house NBN ready. I always think the actual installation inside the house will be carried out by the ISP which is Telstra in this case. Isn't that how it should work?
Accepted Solution

Telstra only supply the gateway.

NBN CO install the wall plate and house cabling and supply a NBN modem. The Telstra Gateway / Modem plugs into the NBN modem.

It is not uncommon for NBN Co to locate the connection point for the NBN modem in the garage.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now