Highlighted
thegeekinasuit
Level 1: Cadet

NBN HFC Third Party Modem

Answered

Hi all,

I just organised to have move from Telstra Cable over to Telstra NBN and know that I will be getting NBN HFC.

I understand that the true connection will be via tha ARRIS NBN modem that will be supplied but Telstra's YouTube guide indicates that you should plug in the supplied Gateway in other to authenticate.

Now, I not intending on using the voice service and intend on using my own ASUS RT-AC68U which I understand is NBN compatiable.

Does anyone know if I need to use the Gateway to authenticate (or can I just leave this in it's box) and plug the ASUS RT-AC68U right into the ARRIS NBN modem. Would there be any settings I need to make sure are changed/set on the ASUS?

Thanks,

Thanh

thegeekinasuit.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC Third Party Modem

it should be basically plug and play similiar to FTTP..You will not be able to get Voice through it and will have to use the telstra modem as an access point for voice services

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

it should be basically plug and play similiar to FTTP..You will not be able to get Voice through it and will have to use the telstra modem as an access point for voice services

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
thegeekinasuit
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks Yastiandrie,

That's great to hear. We don't use home phone services so that will not be an issue. This means I can leave the Telstra Gateway in it's box and plug my ASUS router in once the NBN modem has connection.

Regards,

Thanh

thegeekinasuit.com
SteveCGElliott
Level 2: Rookie

@Yastiandrie wrote:

... and will have to use the telstra modem as an access point for voice services

So I understand you to say that the Telstra Gateway can be connected as another access point in the Users LAN.

The 3rd party gateway gets DHCP external data from Telstra servers and the Telstra modem/access point gets its DHCP data from the 3rd party gateway.

Is this correct?

Does tVoice still work?

Does Telstra Air / FON still work?

Steve

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Steve, 

You can check out my response where I tested a similar set up. Please note that this configuration is unsupported by Tech Support but you can contact Telstra Platinum on 137 587 for assistance with non-standard configurations. 

I hope that helps answer your questions.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now