RobWA
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC dropout

Unacceptable NBN HFC dropout since "installed" 15May.  ARRIS modem rebooted 130 times over 20days (6.5 times per day average), switched to LTE 58 times (~3 per day). Pic shows packet loss over last 6months.  Guess when NBN was connected. Packet_loss_6months_to_04JUn19.png

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN HFC dropout

Have you reported it to NBN Assurance so they can raise it to NBN? 1800 834 273
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
RobWA

Not recently since the first attempt resulted in the Telstra - NBN ping pong over several hours...
bretowski
Level 1: Cadet

How'd you get on Rob? I'm searching for solutions for a similar issue. Not quite as bad but I'm seeing a good 3 dropouts a day. 

I've recently replaced the Smart Modem with my own router for other reasons and not having the LTE is a problem. I feel like we shouldn't have to rely on the LTE for every day service though.

Logging Last 7 days - the big dropout is the Smart Modem acting up and then being replaced. 

RobWA

Hi, overall the service has been better since shortly after my initial post.  The Smart Modem seems OK.  More recent dropouts seem to be typically around 1500 hrs which suggests some 'rebooting' of the service somewhere.  Perhaps we'll do another detailed log analysis and post after 6 months or so. 

RobWA

An update. 

The Telstra Smart Modem log has info for last ~30 days, so these data are from 31July to 28August.  Over 29 days the log shows average of 21 'Ethernet WAN port link is DOWN' per day and an average of 7  'Notify VOIP to turn on VoLTE' per day.  Connection is consistently practically useless around 1400 each day.  Updated pic shows last 6 months of 10min interval logging of packet loss (NBN connected 15 May 2019).  IPacket_loss_6_months_to_2019-08-28_14-46-07.png

RobWA

Another update...2 weeks on...

Performance is now totally unacceptable.

Over last 40 days the modem has switched to LTE on average 8 times per day.

In the last 24 hours the Telstra modem has switched to LTE 26 times and there were 69 'Fail Count = 4' events during this 24 hour period.

It appears from this experience and as reported by others that these ARRIS CM8200 NTD's are less than functional.

Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

I have only become a regular reader of Crowd Support since April of this year and very rarely see any NBN HFC problem posts, so yours was quite an alarming surprise.

Have you followed @Yastiandrie advice and had NBN on site for testing of cable to the NBN CMTS port and/or possible Arris replacement or Telstra to replace your modem? Surely NBN must have come to site to verify the condition by now - the remote NBN CMTS technician should also be able to see what you are seeing.   

Since your graph starts at Dec 2018 and continues to 28th August, your HFC , was it on Telstra HFC with a Netgear Modem connected to a Telstra Smart Modem 1 (DJA0230) or Telstra Modem Gen 2 model and then you had the conversion to the NBN HFC network with the Arris CM8200B installed on 15 May 2019 but kept the Smart Modem Gen 1 / Gen 2 connected - is that correct? The Arris modem LEDs must be lighting up like a Christmas tree during these breaks - are you seeing that?

Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2s have had regular firmware updates, currently Technicolor DJA0231 / V18.1.C-0384-950 RB and Arcadyan LH1000 / V 0.08.06r but I am not aware of any historical HFC issues in regards to these updates.

RobWA

Hi,

There's plenty of posts about HFC NBN drop outs.

The connection performance was very good before 15 May 2019 with the Netgear Gateway Max C6300BD-1TLAUS box.  The only change since 15 May is the replacement of the Netgear box with the Arris NBN NTD box and the Arcadyan LH1000 box.  

The reboot cycle time is of the order of 5-7 minutes between Fail Count =4 and a restart; which often fails and so cycles again.The connection to LTE is much delayed and switches back after a few minutes by which time the HFC connection has dropped out again.  The graph is from a 5 ping process every 10 minutes so the 'real' loss of connection is much worse than what is displayed in the graph.

The Arcadyan firmware is the latest. Don't know about the Arris because we can't 'see' it.

And, yeah, you'd think the NBN CMTS technician / Telstra would be able to 'see' this, particularly the frequent connections to the LTE network.

Right now the connection is abysmal and has been since 12:22 local time (nearly 1.5 hrs).

Mkrtich

Following your comment, I did a search on Crowd Support and learned a few things. 

Have you been visited by an NBN technician to investigate and remedy your installation?

Not sure if you have read this post which may help - some very good suggestions by @cf4

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/HFC-NBN-Issues/m-p/832191

RobWA

Hi,

Thanks...yes there is a lot of stuff out there, including on the Whirlpool forum. This seems to be a very common issue. Read the post, thanks.  It basically says contact your ISP.

So just tried to discuss with Telstra on theonline  Chat function and got told to go away and come back when the connection is NOT working (consultant kept prompting to report on the status of the modem lights).  Huh...what?  Tried to explain that everything was working right now but that this is becoming the exception. 

Also tried to explain that both NBN and Telstra should have info on this problem (and hence be aware of the issue) and that as our ISP we wanted Telstra to request NBN to schedule a site visit to check the cable and signal levels since we cant do this. 

Basically the consultant terminated the discussion.  Amazing....

Mkrtich

That's disappointing - were you able to ask for a technician's visit when you called the number in  @Yastiandrie  June post suggestion. You have probably exhausted these avenues already, so apologies if you already covered the ground below. 

NBN should respond to service referrals from their RSP's for fault investigation. I think there is a way of raising an official complaint form on a Telstra web site which initiates a formal investigation process within Telstra. This may be it or there could be other links that readers may suggest.  https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints.

I can understand why NBN don't take customer service faults directly as the problem could be in the RSP's area of responsibility of customer premises connection. Having said that, NBN also has 'Contact Us' web site page for Assurance Enquiries and a separate number for Complaints. https://login.nbnco.net.au/contact_us. The ACCC also lists an NBN telephone number for complaints. Hopefully the NBN call centre may be staffed by more caring people. 

Highlighted
RobWA

Hi,

Thanks for the information with the useful contact details.

Will give some of these a try.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now