CrowdSupport®
Gavin96
Level 2: Rookie

NBN HFC dropped out during storm, is this normal?

Answered

I've been connected for about a month on the NBN via HFC using the Arris 8200 and the Arcadyan LH1000 as supplied by Telstra. ( firmware 0.08.06r )

I was already plagued by WiFi drop out and ready to purchase a better modem, but now experienced a complete service drop out during a short heavy storm.

Is it normal for NBN via HFC to drop out during a storm?

What modem would you recommend to eliminate the intermittent WiFi drop out?

Help and advice will be greatly appreciated! 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN HFC dropped out during storm, is this normal?

To Test the continuity of the link you could download and install pingplotter on a PC and run a test to a server such as www.google.com. It will plot a continuous graph of the latency and lost packets. You can simultaneously rung a test to your modem (192.168.0.1). If the graph shows lost packets on the test to google com but not on the test to to the modem then problem is with HFC link.

Another method of checking whether it is the modem or the HFC link is to check the log in the modem (Advanced > Log).  Remove tick all readings except the WAN. In the image below of the log the top half of the shows a link with no problems. The bottom starting on the 17/10/2018 at 14:39 shows the link dropping.

Arcadyan_Gen_2_Log.jpg

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3

It is not normal for a NBN HFC connection to drop out during a storm. Water could have entered the cable or HFC equipment during the storm causing the loss of internet. It can happen in severe storms were buildings and cabling gets damage. There might be a potential fault in your HFC link that could be causing your WiFi dropouts. Are you sure the WiFi dropouts are WiFi dropouts are WiFi dropouts caused by the modem and not due to an intermittent fault on the HFC link. Do any of the lights on the Arris modem or the Telstra modem change when the WiFi drops?

You could use any modern WiFi router to replace the Telstra router. You would still need to connect the WAN port of the Telstra modem to a LAN port on the third party router if you want a phone service. The router you get depends on how much you are willing to spend and what extra functions you want.

Gavin96
Level 2: Rookie

Hi cf4, Thanks for your reply.

I had not noticed any lights change when the WiFi drops until todays storm.

Initially it was an inability to complete large downloads such as updates to the latest macOS and a few streaming issues. Devices telling me I wasn't connected to the internet at random times.

How do you suggest I confirm that it is a fault in the HFC link versus the modem? Is there a test I can run from home to check the continuity of the HFC link?

Your advice already is golden, I really appreciate your assistance.

Accepted Solution

To Test the continuity of the link you could download and install pingplotter on a PC and run a test to a server such as www.google.com. It will plot a continuous graph of the latency and lost packets. You can simultaneously rung a test to your modem (192.168.0.1). If the graph shows lost packets on the test to google com but not on the test to to the modem then problem is with HFC link.

Another method of checking whether it is the modem or the HFC link is to check the log in the modem (Advanced > Log).  Remove tick all readings except the WAN. In the image below of the log the top half of the shows a link with no problems. The bottom starting on the 17/10/2018 at 14:39 shows the link dropping.

Arcadyan_Gen_2_Log.jpg

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now