Highlighted
SirKadachi
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN High Spiking Latency Issues

Answered

Recently starting on the 19th of January, I've had many frustrating issues with my latency. Throughout the day my latency will typically be around 12 - 20 ms, but recently has been in between 100 - 4000 ms for no reason whatsoever. This is detrimental in online games when I play competitively and makes it entirely unplayable. It was especially bad over the weekend as my latency was usually hovering and fluctuating around the 2000 - 4000 ms range. Of course I realise it is the school holidays after all and congestion could be the problem, but it's been the holidays for the past 6 weeks now and I've never experienced this at all throughout the 6 weeks until now. Another note is that it goes back down to 12 - 20 ms at around 9:30 pm and stays like that until the next day at around 9 am where it skyrockets back up to 100 - 4000 ms. My download speeds have also been affected going from my typically 6 MB/s to 15 KB/s which is insanely slow. I've been unable to do anything for the past few days and it is becoming extremely frustrating. Ever since I got NBN I've loved it and never had an issue with it until now. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SirKadachi
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN High Spiking Latency Issues

Problem solved! After extensive testing and theories I have finally found the problem which is located within my home. It turns out that anytime my old computer (that I had given to my brother) was turned on , massive latency issues would occur. I have no idea why this happens since I used to use that computer all the time until I built a newer one. Anyways thanks to all that attempted to help me with this situation.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 25: The Singularity

If you're only getting 6Mbps on an NBN connection, it sounds like it is on 4G backup mode.

What colour are the lights on your modem?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SirKadachi

They are all green lights, but as I stated I've never had this latency problem until now.

Can you post a traceroute to one of the servers that you use? It will help narrow down where the problem is occurring.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SirKadachi

Sometimes throughout the day my latency will be fine but will have terrible spikes every so often or will fluctuate at an extremely high ping. As of now it seems fine but with a spike here and there. Anyways here is that traceroute.   
Tracert.PNG

SirKadachi

Here is another traceroute of when my latency is spiking. It will probably be like this for the rest of the day.
Tracert 2.PNG

Level 21: Augmented

Just out of the curiosity, can you make a "tracert -4 www.google.com"?
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
SirKadachi

Here you go.Tracert -4.PNG

OK, next step. http://www.speedtest.net/ select Telstra (!) server closest to you.
Do the tracert -4 and speed test again when having problems...
Would not hurt if you posted your modem connection stats too.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

SirKadachi

Where would I get the modem connection stats?Ookla.PNG
Tracert -4 2.PNG

I am not at home, so cannot give you the exact info but if you login to your modem, there will somewhere be your VDSL stats...
But that speed suggest that you are on 4G backup or something is seriously wrong with your connection... What sort of NBN are you on? Perhaps time to call the support (not here but the real Telstra support) and if that does not help make complaint to Telstra in the first instance.

SirKadachi

I have no clue if this is it but here you go. I'm also not a big fan of calling Telstra because all they do is throw me around plus last time I called they screwed our internet up and it was unusable for 2 weeks.Internet.PNG

OK, according to what you posted, you should be getting nearly 25 times speed of what you posted above or nearly 10 times more than claimed 6Mbps... Something is fishy... When you are doing these tests, how are you connected to your modem? WiFi or Ethernet cable? If WiFi, we will need to do the exercise above with being connected to the modem by cable.

SirKadachi

I also find it extremely weird that my internet just randomly starts working as normal again. Also I listed the 6 as megabits when I refer to it as 6 megabytes sorry for the confusion.Ookla 2.PNG

Level 24: Supreme Being

EDIT: Way too late to the party

Here you go (I have it macro'd)

Post your modem stats:
On a Premium Home Network Gateway, T-Gateway, Gateway Max, or Gateway Max 2
(TG587, TG797, TG799, TG800):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Broadband

On a Telstra Gateway
(Sagemcom F@st 5355):
http://10.0.0.138/ > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL (Bottom of Page)

On a Frontier Gateway , Telstra Smart Modem or Smart Modem Gen2
(DJN2130, DJA0230, DJA0231, or LH1000):
http://192.168.0.1/ > Advanced > Broadband (Internet Access for LH1000)

Default password is generally 'admin' or 'Telstra'
You're looking for line rates, power levels, attenuation etc

Are the tests being run over Ethernet or WiFi?
Are they being run during peak times (3PM-12AM)?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Nice to see you @Yastiandrie...

@SirKadachi- let's just confirm that your modem is the one with the backup 4G. If yes, it seems like you have lots of dropouts and modem is switching between VDSL2 and backup 4G. Perhaps you have also reached some sort of limit (I am not sure if that is uninterrupted use of 4G backup or cumulative use) when you can get shaped down to 1Mbps (me think)… Or there must be horrible congestion in your area - but if you these speeds and stats you just posted are current...

I think that @Yastiandrie may bring more light to this... Smiley Happy

SirKadachi

I really don't think it has anything to do with 4g backup. I feel as if it is terrible holiday congestion but as stated above it has been the holidays for the past 6 weeks and I have never been affected by this until now.

Oh, just noticed this "6 megabytes" and "6 MB/s to 15 KB/s". My bad!!! 15 KB/s is roughly 1mbps - that would suggest that you are dropping to shaped backup.

SirKadachi

The test had been run on my PC that is connected through wifi.

The test have been run out of peak hours.
Internet.PNG

SirKadachi

I should also state that It is 15 kilobytes not 15 kilobits (0.12 megabits = 15 kilobytes). Sorry for any further confusion.

Can you post the stats found in Advanced > Diagnostics > xDSL as well?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
SirKadachi

FEC looks quite high but I have no clue what it is.DSL.PNG

To understand FEC and it full implication you need to know lots about signals, coding, Markov processes, stochastics and other "ugly sounding" things. 😊

SirKadachi

I've been pinging google for a while now and it just looks so unusual.  
Ping Issues.PNG

SirKadachi

Just a quick update. At around 3 pm today my internet seemed to be functioning as normal up to 7:30 pm where is suddenly went back to having high latency issues with slow download speeds. Thought it had fixed itself Smiley Sad.
SirKadachi
Accepted Solution

Problem solved! After extensive testing and theories I have finally found the problem which is located within my home. It turns out that anytime my old computer (that I had given to my brother) was turned on , massive latency issues would occur. I have no idea why this happens since I used to use that computer all the time until I built a newer one. Anyways thanks to all that attempted to help me with this situation.

That computer could be compromised and acting as a bot, or could be part of torrent network etc etc… Worth investigating further, perhaps without having it on the network...

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now