Highlighted
Saphod
Level 2: Rookie

NBN - Internet Working, but no Home Phone

Dear Crowdsupport Community,

I am a bit tired of trying to solve my problem on 1800 TFIBRE, so I thought I'd try this instead.

Here is my situation:

1. NBN via HFC installed a week ago. Internet fine, phone not working.
  2. Called support, was told the modem might be faulty, was sent replacement modem.
  3. Installed replacement modem, but no change and no NBN Support on a Sunday.
  4. Returned old modem to nearby store and had store person check. He found it curious that the boradband had been transitioned, but the phone line was still 'provisioning'. Told me to call activation service on Monday.
  5. Called Monday morning from work, was told I had to be home for diagnstics, so called again in the evening. Support then noticed the activation error and activated the phone line. Copper line which had still been active before was correctly disconnected.
  6. Home phone still not working, so I called again today. Was told that both Internet and VOIP service where functioning normal, and the next best thing would be a non-compatible or faulty handset - which could not be confirmed, since it was after hours. Support person told me that my internet would also be down if the phone problem was on the NBN's side - I am not sure if that is correct, since the VOIP service could be affected separately, correct?

The phone is a Uniden XDECT 8155+2, and I read in other posts that this is considered NBN-compatible. Uniden say on their website that they tested their handsets and that they should work with NBN.

I read my modem logs and saw the following error message being repeated regularly:

"TR-069 connectivity to (58.162.32.33/cwmp/cwmp) has failed"

Googled 'TR-069' and learnt that that is a remote update protocol.

58.162.32.33 is univ.alcatel.cwmp.bdms.telstra.net

Ping and Traceroute to that server are timinng out.

Also, Telstra Service Status shows there could be outages for both 'NBN' and 'ADSL and Home Phone' in my area.

I am tired of following this up via phone and hope someone could shed a light on this.

Thanks in advance!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Saphod

Re: NBN - Internet Working, but no Home Phone

Just confirmed on the phone with Uniden that my Model (XDECT 8155+2) is definitely NBN-compatible.

Telstra, the ball is back in your court.

Here are some other posts of people who have (had) problems with NBN and home phone:

https://goo.gl/7iSsxL
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Saphod

We've been chatting via our Twitter Profile regarding this. Just updating this posts so that onlookers that might have the same issue can try some steps out.

I need you to try the following steps for me. In the following order: I appreciate that some of this may have been done already, but the order is really important:

1 - Disconnect your phone from the Green Port on the back of your modem. (Do not plug it back in)
2 - Factory Reset your modem by using the red reset button. Press and hold this for no less than 10 seconds.
3 - You'll need to then wait for your internet connection to come back up. this could take up to 5-10 minutes.
4 - Once reconnected to the internet, reconnect your phone to the Green Port on the back of your modem.
5 - Once you've done this, It may take a further 15 minutes for the VOIP service to be registered correctly.

Please let me know how you go with these steps.
Please note that it is important to have your phone disconnected from your modem entirely during this process.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Saphod

Thanks, @DeltaSquad - will try and report back.

Please note that I went through some similar steps with 1800 TFIBRE, but never in this particular order. Usually, they would forget to tell me to unplug the phone or to do the hard reset, or tell me to plug the phone back in without waiting for the Internet to be online first.

Your technic explanations in our Twitter exchange about why it has to be in this particular order make sense to me. Maybe we can update this post with that information later should this resolve the issue.
Saphod

*technical
Saphod

Hi @DeltaSquad,

Unfortunately, your recommendation did not solve the issue - did it exactly as you said, but to no avail. :-(

What now?

Saphod

I found something new in the modem log under category VOICE: "Fixe () is disabled"

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Saphod, 

We've reached out to you via Twitter Direct Messages in regards to this.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Saphod

Hi @Kenobi@DeltaSquad

It is working fine now. There seems to be the occasional dropout in the line (they might be doing maintenance, it shows up on the Status Page in my area).

I am now trying to get rid of MessageBank, since I have my own answering machine and do not want the odd dial tone and notifications on my phone. I noticed it was on when I had no phone connection and wanted to test the line.

Called NBN support today and asked to turn it off. When they turned it off, I got the odd ring tone and notifications on my phone. Looks more like they turned it on. Had to dial 101, set up MessageBank and delete all messages. After that, the odd dial tone was gone and the notifications on my phone as well.

I am currently chatting online to Telstra, and they tell me they have deactivated it.

However, I can still dial 101 and get the MessageBank saying "you have no new messages."

Very weird... I will now wait 24 hours as advised. I might have to call NBN Assurance again... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here is another question:

My NBN has quite a few dropouts latey (1x daily). To get back online, I mostly have to power-cycle the NTD (NBN connection box). Otherwise, it stays offline for quite a while. Is that normal?

Saphod

NBN was down again. Had to restart Connection Box. This has now been happening several consecutive days, always in the evening. Status Page still shows issues with NBN in my area.

Why does it work after power cycling the Connection Box? Why does the connection not re-establish on its own?
eAJ2015
Level 8: Inspector

i also had that issue with the home phone they way i got around it was to increase the dial time to the max. i can't remember off the top of my head what number you put into the phone to do that though. then your own answering machine should kick in before message bank does. Do you have foxtel by any chance and if you do is that working or buggy as well?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now