CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ElsaVille
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN - Our Little Mate Isn't Feeling Well

Answered

Howdy Crowdies! Let's see...the NBN (FTTN - booo), was connected in Mornington Vic about a month ago. It worked, more or less, (albeit insanely slow with almost incessant buffering, poor picture quality etc which I put down to 'teething troubles'). However...a few days ago, the trusty (not), old Gateway Frontier lights went psycho: 'power' and 'wifi' lights on side of box - solid green (lovin' that); On top of box - 'backup' light is green - oops it just went orange; 'link' light goes between blue, white or is usually a no-show; 'online' light is magenta and the once luxuriously, consistently green 'phone' light is a big fat no-show. I've learnt that if the 'online' light is magenta then it is using the mobile backup something-or-other - (but whyyyyy telstra god whyyyy? Where did NBN wander off to??). I've also seen on my computer, when running 'network diagnostics' (because of the very frequent 'no internet connection' msgs, for which I blame our freaky little frenemy, the NBN), that there is the new network (the one that shows as numbers only) and the old, adsl network (I miss you - please come back!), still appearing in the list of working networks (or addresses or whatever they are) - so I do wonder if that is causing some sort of convulsion to occur with the new nbn thing? Thunks v much!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN - Our Little Mate Isn't Feeling Well

A NBN Odyssey

This is NBN to ElsaVille,
You should be good to go
And the Node is hooked into your socket at home
Now it's time to leave the connection up to us

This is ElsaVille to NBN,
I've plugged the modem in,
And you're broken in a most peculiar way,
And the net looks very different today.... ??

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

View solution in original post

ElsaVille
Accepted Solution

Howdy helpful Crowdies - guess what?

( à la the Mammas and the Papas):
All the lights are green (all the lights are green!)
And that has made my day (that has made my day-ay)
But I've been checking net speeds, on a summer's day...
I bet they're really fa-aast over in L.A. (over in in L.A.)
NBN speed dreamin', on such summer's day...

Thanks for all your helpful solutions - I think the connection must've been 'reterminated' by an unknown hand in the end because the lights came back on before I got time to call the NBN dudes, so - yay - working again - now to get the speeds a'happening...

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 25: The Singularity

Most likely a faulty termination at the pillar if it is dropping out regularly. Quite common when a lot of new connections are being made as the NBN Techs can inadvertently pull the wires when doing other connections.

Give 1800 834 273 a call and they can run the checks for you and organise for an NBN Co Technician to come out and reterminate your connection.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

This should go into a competition for the best NBN fault post ever Smiley Very Happy
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

I did consider responding from the NBN connection's perspective, but I thought a standard response would be more appropriate.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Accepted Solution

A NBN Odyssey

This is NBN to ElsaVille,
You should be good to go
And the Node is hooked into your socket at home
Now it's time to leave the connection up to us

This is ElsaVille to NBN,
I've plugged the modem in,
And you're broken in a most peculiar way,
And the net looks very different today.... ??

ElsaVille

...Here am I
Staring at a white box,
Far away from the node,
One light is sometimes blue,
And there's nothing I can do.....

I've reset a hundred thousand times,
And I'm feeling very glum
And I think the Fibre Optic Cable doesn't know which way to go
Tell the govt they should've used copper (they know)
NBN to ElsaVille
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me Elsaville?
Can you hear me Elsaville??
Can you hear me Elsaville???

ElsaVille

Thanks Jupiter, I'll give them a call (although....what does 'reterminate' mean? It's like the opposite of reincarnate...sort of ). Seriously - thanks for your reply.
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum

Hi ElsaVille,

You mention the old ADSL wifi connection is still available. Can you please confirm if the old modem is still plugged in and turned on? If it is, this can be the reason the new modem is not able to access the NBN as of yet.

Jordan

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone and live chat support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support

ElsaVille

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can confirm that ye old ADSL modem is safely unplugged, packed away and lying cold and dead in the box that the flashy, new Gateway Frontier NBN modem (is the NBN thing called a modem or something more NBNish?).

I plugged the dect home phone, (why have we still got one you ask - the Telstra phone dude told me we needed to keep it), into the Wild Frontier and then plugged the other pluggable bit into the phone wall socket, as per instructions. Is that correct? 

As with every relationship, everything was tickety-boo to begin with (always slowwwww speeds though), and then it just fell apart...well it is hopefully not beyond redemption, but I'm gonna need some sort of counseling either way. 

The lovely magenta online light is doing a fairly good job of keeping the net on the go - iview is working well as we speak - woohoo life is sweet!! (But...given that the magenta light means it's on 'mobile backup thingy', I hope it doesn't mean I'm getting charged for extra data). 

I have a slight grip on NBN reality but, as William Blake nearly said: 'In the universe, there are things that are known, and things that are unknown, and in between, there is the Gateway Wild Frontier.' (Sorry Blakey).

Thanks again.

No stress about the data, the mobile backup thru the frontier is from your standard data allowance (aka if you have unlimited it is unlimited, if you have 1TB it comes out of that allowance) no extra charges for the mobile data via that method.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

@ElsaVille, reterminating is just putting the wires back in their slots properly.
ElsaVille
Accepted Solution

Howdy helpful Crowdies - guess what?

( à la the Mammas and the Papas):
All the lights are green (all the lights are green!)
And that has made my day (that has made my day-ay)
But I've been checking net speeds, on a summer's day...
I bet they're really fa-aast over in L.A. (over in in L.A.)
NBN speed dreamin', on such summer's day...

Thanks for all your helpful solutions - I think the connection must've been 'reterminated' by an unknown hand in the end because the lights came back on before I got time to call the NBN dudes, so - yay - working again - now to get the speeds a'happening...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit