abthomp
Level 9: Captain

NBN Performance Guarantee

I've asked this question once before on here and got some vague and insubstantial answers.

Simple questions - NBN connection in our area as of next month.

1. Is it worth persisting with a $70-$90/month charge for a service that appears to be a downgrade from ADSL2+?

2. If as a +30 year customer of Telstra I decide to stick with them what performance guarantees do I get?

I have tried to talk to actual Telstra reps and all I get is mindless gibberish from the call centre drones

Is there a number I can call to speak to someone in Australia who actually knows something about Telstra?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN Performance Guarantee

Depends on what you're defining as a guarantee.

If your service has a fault, you'll need to report it now like you currently would and Testra resolve it if its a Telstra issue or if its an NBN issue it will be looked into by NBN Co. If there s an outage it'll get fixed, they are generally fixed as soon as possible.

If its in regards to speeds that depends what type of NBN you're getting. For example I have FTTP and I'm on the 100/40 tier and my downloads are regularly in the 90mbps range. With FTTP there are minimal problems with the service or speed as its new and highly reliable technology.

Assuming you're on FTTN or FTTC your speed will depend on the length and quality of the copper connection. The standard speed tier sold by Telstra is 50/20, if you're line is capable of speeds higher than that, lets say your line is capable of 70/30 you'll get around the 40mbps mark and above. However if you wanted to go to the higher speed tier of 100/40 your max speeds would only be 70/30 as this is all your line is capable. You'd need to decide if its worth paying more to be on that speed tier.

If you aren't on NBN yet and you're getting FTTN/FTTC you're line speeds won't be known until you connect.

If you're due to get NBN FW I would recommend talking to your neighbors about the speeds they are getting and compare to your ADSL connection to see which performs better as there is congestion on NBN FW due the poor design of the network.

If you only do some light browsing on the internet and emails a 4G or soon to be released 5G service may suits your needs instead of the NBN.

End of the day it all depends on your situation. To my knowledge the Consumer NBN sales teams are mostly based off shore. You can visit your local Telstra Store to discuss your NBN options with one of the Sales staff there as well.

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

There is the satisfaction guarantee
https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/nbn/nbn-satisfaction-guarantee

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
JM6
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I have just moved into a new address, where I am having ongoing issues with slow and inconsistent internet speeds over a FTTN connection through Telstra on a 50 mbps tier plan.
At my old address I was about 300 metres from the NBN node in the street.
I had consistent speeds of 46 mbps downloads and 18 up with no network outages.
My old ADSL2 plus at the same address had about 18 down and 10 up.

But you wont actually know what speeds you will get over the NBN until you connect and churn from the ADSL connection. Supposedly they check your new NBN connection speed after a week and check it for optimum performance, but that may be a furphy.
I really really wish I was still connected to ADSL and also have the normal copper phone line that came with it.
With the new modems/NBN, when the network connection goes down, you lose the VOIP phone line as well. Just peachy !
Sure, the NBN modem may have a 4G backup (no good without power, lol) and you could use your mobile phone if you needed to call for help, but the mobile/cellular base stations themselves only have a few hours emergency power backup battery, then they die as well, leaving you totally without communication options.

This happened recently in my area and our only communication option was a CB radio handset to call Channel 5, if we needed emergency help.
Welcome to the 21st Century, where progress is actually not progress at all.
Hedlie_Lamarr
Level 2: Rookie

Hello,
Just a stray thought, I read on the wiki that once the NBN goes through your area and is all finished there is a cutoff date for your old copper connection. It might pay to investigate your options thoroughly before that date. I'll see if I can get the article linky thingy for you, be a sec.
Hedlie_Lamarr
Level 2: Rookie

abthomp

Yes I'm aware that once it's available there's a time limit in which I've got to make a decision. That's why I'm researching now.
JM6

I think the NBN gives you 18 months to churn, then the copper cable/normal phone line is disconnected altogether, unless it's running to your place on FTTN.

RIP ADSL, I miss you ! Please come back !
NBN is MTM which is Malcolm Turnbull Mess.
Singapore has average of 100 Mbps speeds, so does Kazakhstan, a supposedly poor third world country.......
abthomp

That's what I was provided with by the "helpful" individual at the Call Centre. It's not a guarantee. Basically all that says if once you've gone through all the effort you find it was a waste of time and the service is non-functional they'll refund the cost of connection and the first month's fee.
That's not a guarantee that's just compliance with Consumer Law which states you cannot charge for a service you aren't providing.
Highlighted
JM6

"once you've gone through all the effort you find it was a waste of time and the service is non-functional they'll refund the cost of connection and the first month's fee"

This will be my next step with Telstra, I think......they are not providing what i paid for.
Unfortunately the call centre staff in Manila or India have no idea, they just work from scripts and just keep apologising, but don't actually have any remedies.
abthomp

You have to raise your complaint under their supposed guarantee within 30 days of connection otherwise there's no refund although I suspect if tested in court that Telstra would find they were in big trouble for continuing to bill people for a non existent service.
Also remember that once you've raised the complaint and they accept they can't provide the service they just dump you. You won't have the option of going back to ADSL, you'll have nothing.
Fact is the NBN rollout should have been stopped ages ago. Persisting with a flawed model that is worse than what it is supposed to replace is simply ludicrous.
Agree on the Call Centres - absolutely useless.
Level 21: Augmented

My understanding is that at this moment, NBN Co is legally required to guarantee 12Mbps down... I know rather poor, but that's the fact...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Level 21: Augmented

Well, it depends where in Kazakhstan... I happen to know someone there and she has not access to Internet at all where she lives... And as for Singapore, yes, they connect everyone to 100Mbps network, but the congestions are so bad...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

I recommend Telstra's 4GX mobile broadband service which is owned, managed and operated by Telstra.
I've been using it over 3 years and have never had reason to complain.
The Disconnections / saves team in Adelaide have special deals to assist those considering cancelling

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now