Highlighted
Blueshoes
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Speed - Claims

Answered

I switched to NBN in May on the promise of fastest speed and stability.  I am paying for 40Mbps but I can only ever get a maximum of 14,5.  I have called Telstra and emailed from the first days of connecting  and I get asked the same questions, how many devices in the system and what time of day.  I have tried switching all devices of and only having one connected at different times of the day and still only get around 13 - 14 Mbps.  I watch Netflix and this pauses while the streaming catches up.  Why am I paying for a service I am not getting.  I seem to get the same excuses from Telstra each time basically blaming NBN.  I contact NBN and they blame Telstra.  Such a waste of my money paying for a service I am not getting.  DO NOT CONNECT TO NBN or use TELSTRA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Speed - Claims

If the node is within 100 Meters of your house I would expect that you are connected to that node. You can check your actual cable distance by going to this site.http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/
The site does not cover all areas but if your house is covered and the the cable distance to the Node is less than 1 KM then there could be a cable fault either in the street cabling or in the house wiring that is causing the high attenuation and reduced speed.
Did you have a back to base security alarm system? If you had a alarm system and it was not fully disconnected that could cause the high attenuation and reduction in speed.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being

Ok,

So can you go to your modem, for most current Telstra modems it will be http://192.168.0.1/ and then advance > broadband and then post the line stats from that page. It will include data like max speed, line speed, attenuation, noise. These stats will help to identify or eliminate certain things as the cause of the speed issues.

13Mbps should be enough to run Netflix at SD and or HD, just not at UHD. So even at that speed that shouldn't be causing you huge issues.

Also, assuming you are on FTTN, are you also able to confirm, do you have multiple outlets in your house? If so trying others could change the outcome. It will work best connected to the first in the house and generally having a tech isolate that one from the others can also improve results.

Also if you moved from ADSL, make sure you don't have an ADSL splitter connected as that will likely impact the speed too.

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Blueshoes

Thanks   Just looked and the link is saying 65mbps.  I currently have two devices on.  I was wifi before and no splitter attached.  Also only one live connection at the front of the house so closest to connection.  Yes I have FTTN.  

Cheers

Blueshoes

Sorry looked incorrectly here is the speed
DSL Status
Up
DSL Uptime
4 days 9 hours 31 minutes 27 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
9.92 Mbps 17.5 Mbps
Line Rate
9.92 Mbps 16.15 Mbps
Data Transferred
2797.24 MBytes 127.88 MBytes
Output Power
7.2 dBm 9.9 dBm
Line Attenuation
9.8, 50.6, 70.8 dB 22.6, 60.3, 90.3 dB
Noise Margin
5.3 dB 7.2 dB

The upload suggest it is certainly on the NBN50 plan. The max speed is pretty much setting the same outcome you are experiencing. By the attenuation it looks like you are a bit away from the node. Somewhere over the km mark i would guess by the stats. This is suggesting that it is actually on the nbn design that is causing your issues.

Given it appears to be the distance to the node that would have happened the exact same with all providers as that is approximately the maximum your line will support.

During the first 18 months in the ‘cohabitation’ period nbn co are unlikely to be willing to do much, outside this they are meant to be then working to give everyone on fttn a minimum of 25Mbps.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Blueshoes

Thank you. If the NBN node is a large green box then this is around 40 metres from the front of my house or is this something else? Thanks for all the help

Level 22: Superhuman

It generally is a large green box, however physical distance and line distance can be different. As shown in the below example, the two house are right next to each other, but the house in Example 1 on is connected to a node further away then the house shown in example 2. The house in Example 2 will be able to achieve faster line speeds than the house in Example 1. 

NBN1.PNGExample 1NBN2.PNGExample 2

Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Blueshoes

Hi thank you. It is outside my house on the verge and was installed earlier this year so U could not understand it doing a trip around the block and then coming to my house though

Thanks for this but I not convinced NBN is the right move

Cheers

NBN use the existing phone cables, so as the network grew outwards, new exchange cabinets and lined may be been built near you but you wouldn't have been connected as your line was already connected to equipment further down the line. NBN in its original from was the best option, but that has since changed.
Although I am a Telstra Employee, I am not here in an official capacity. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's.
Accepted Solution

If the node is within 100 Meters of your house I would expect that you are connected to that node. You can check your actual cable distance by going to this site.http://nbnmtm.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com/
The site does not cover all areas but if your house is covered and the the cable distance to the Node is less than 1 KM then there could be a cable fault either in the street cabling or in the house wiring that is causing the high attenuation and reduced speed.
Did you have a back to base security alarm system? If you had a alarm system and it was not fully disconnected that could cause the high attenuation and reduction in speed.
rick1358

Ha ha, yes I have a similar issue! I have been connected to NBN thru Telstra for a while now and recently, for some unknown reason, after performing a speed test I found my speed had mysteriously jumped from an avg 26mbps to roughly 42mbps. Not complaining but curious I did some further research and found I that for what I was paying $90//mth (1000gb, nbn tier 50 boasting typical speeds of 40mbps) I could receive the same for $79/mth so I set upon to correct it. My old plan was then cancelled and a new plan started for $79/mth with everything else within it staying the same. After it was all finalised I re-performed another speed test and found my speed had dropped back to 31mbps! Obviously dismayed, I contacted Telstra and they performed their usual waste of time internal tests to come up with an outcome that stated I had an internal problem with my modem and that they would have to replace it. Knowing that the issue wasn't within my old modem and that a new one wouldn't fix it I thought, why look a gift horse in the mouth, and accepted the new smart modem offer. Well as thought, I set up my new modem re-performed the speed test etc etc and no increase in speed in fact a slight decrease to 28.7mbps so back onto Telstra who wasted my time AGAIN performing the same internal checks as previous to eventually say my speed was within specs for this service. Even after I quoted the advertised speed for my connection as minimum 40mbps the consultant repeated the acceptability of this service. I mean who is pulling who's pud here, if you advertise a minimum speed I was under the understanding that if those speeds weren't upheld then the ISP could be held liable but then where do I go from here? Any help would be most appreciated!!!
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @rick1358 Thanks for reaching out. I apologise if your speeds are not what you were expecting, however I can advise that there's no guaranteed minimum speed on any network type, and slight speed fluctuations are perfectly normal on any network type, especially during peak usage periods. You can find out more about speeds for different NBN connection types here:  http://tel.st/fccqj including typical speeds - which means average, but not guaranteed. 

As for your achievable speed results you've mentioned, 30-40 Mbps or thereabouts is a solid result on a 50 tier plan and will allow yourself and your family to enjoy any online activities smoothly. You can run through some troubleshooting to ensure you're making the most of available speeds for your address here:  How To Troubleshoot NBN Issues Let us know if you have any further questions, or contact NBN technical support on 1800 TFIBRE 24x7.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Blueshoes

Hello
I have never got 30 to 40. I am getting around 13 or 14 which is not acceptable on a 50mbps plan

I will be taking to ombudsman.

Thank you
Support Team
Support Team

Hello @Blueshoes, thanks for reaching out. That's not good to hear you're unhappy with your current speeds. The information provided above may also be of help to you, you can run through some troubleshooting to ensure you're making the most of available speeds for your address here:  How To Troubleshoot NBN Issues Let us know if you have any further questions, or contact NBN technical support on 1800 TFIBRE 24x7.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Blueshoes

Response to rick1358

HI RICK1358

I can completely relate to your issues.  Each time I complain I am sent back to the beginning testing and time wasting again.  Told each time it is within acceptable limits.  I do not think paying for a 50Mbps Plan and getting 13-14Mbps is acceptable at an off peak time (best).  I have a friend who has some knowledge about this and will be taking our case to the Telecommunications Ombudsman as I think charging for a service and not getting what you pay for from a public company is not acceptable.  I am sure if Telstra promised their shareholders a dividend and did not deliver then someone would do something,  Either the NBN or Telstra need to stand up and take some responsibility for the lack of service.  

Good luck with your situation.

If there is an NBN fault and NBN will not fix it, unfortunately taking Telstra to the TIO is unlikely to result in any real change. The TIO can step in an order for Telstra to raise it to NBN, but not force NBN to actually do anything. The chances are that if they identified a fault that NBN would be willing to accept that it would already have been sent through to NBN Co. Raising one against NBN Co might help since they are the only ones who can actually fix any network issues on their end... I do hope you do get it sorted though. The FTTN Node Lotto is a pretty vicious one at times.

Helpful Links

rick1358

You are completely missing my point, if you go onto www.telstra.com.au/broadband/NBN/plans-bundled and look in the "Connect Plus" column under the 1000GB $79/MTH plan, (which btw I have taken a screenshot of), it states quite clearly in black and white "Standard Plus Evening Speed , nbn tier 50 , 40Mbps typical minimum speed" which is also backed up and stated as "Included" when clicking the ">Find out more" button. Now if this is stated clearly like I have explained then Telstra can be held liable for false advertising as I intend to follow through with unless the "written" word is delivered!!!
rick1358

Read my reply to Telstra, I think you will find it amusing!!!

I think you missed seeing the word "typical" in the "typical minimum speed". That's a huge difference when compared to saying "guaranteed minimum speed" or even "minimum speed".

If Telstra has organised an NBN technician to come out and check the line, then that is the limit of their ability/obligation to fix the problem. If they can't get NBN Co to fix it, then they should be offering you the ability to cancel your current plan without penalty.

However, this would still leave you with a sub par connection, so lodging a complaint with the TIO against NBN Co would be your best option in that case.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
rick1358

Ha ha, you should have spent more time in your English lessons, a Synonym for typical is "normal" so with that being said Telstra's site is dictating "Normal" minimum speeds... Telstra is trying to hide behind a facade of falsely advertised internet speeds! Now if we were all paying NBN directly for our service I agree we should all contact NBN if we have issues but the speed of our plan is determined by what we pay Telstra, not NBN so it is therefore up to Telstra to provide real results to any discrepancies we have with our service!!!

My understanding is that the phrasing of “typical peak speed” comes from the ACCC as that is what they refer to as well and what all the RSP who were tested by the ACCC use as their phrasing as well from what I have seen.

With things going to Telstra or NBN, if it is something like the speed is a bit slow but there is no fault and the line is capable of higher that is on the RSP... if it is that the network isn’t capable of handling higher speed - due to distance or whatever, it is outside the RSP who can only do so much.

It is a bit of a grey area with the nbn. Typical of govt departments and structures... they make as much complication and red tape as possible.
Helpful Links

@rick1358 but I did pay more attention in legal studies, so I know the difference in a contractual context. In this case it is not a synonym, but a modifier and limiter on the description of the service level provided.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
rick1358

Ha ha, hence why Lawyers can twist the English language to suit their needs to win a case even though it is technically wrong. Its not how much you have available to pay, it's how much you're willing to pay eh!?

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more