BeanieWCE
Level 2: Rookie

NBN Speed Compensation

Hi, i have a nbn tier 50 contract with telstra which guarantees 40mbs download. My FTTN connection only enables me to get 26mbs download. Telstra has admitted to this. What compensation should I be getting for this. I have spent many hours on the phone to many telstra consultants. i have been waiting 8 days for my Telstra complaints officer to return my call. I called yesterday and today again still no response. This should entitle me to a free connection. It is ridiculous.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
59 REPLIES 59
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: NBN Speed Compensation

Its hard to say as the price NBN co charges for the 25/5 and 50/20 Speed tiers is at the moment the same, so Telstra is only offering the 50/20 speed by default as the 25/5 would be the same price The speed 40mbps isn't guaranteed, its what is typically achieved by customers during peak periods.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being

If you are paying extra for a speed boost you would be entitled to a refund of the money paid for the speed boost. If the speed is part of your bundle there is no entitlement to a refund as the speed is lower due to factors beyond Telstra's control such as distance from node.
BeanieWCE

Thanks for that. your information is incorrect. The contract I have on $99 pm has 40mbs guaranteed between 7pm-11pm. the $79pm has the same. It is a breach of contract.

Your complaints case manager will be able to confirm the specifics of your contact and if speeds guaranteed. However I'm not aware of speeds being guaranteed on any contract.

These are from Telstra's NBN Plans webiste https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/plans-bundles, I've underlined the main points 

Typical minimum speeds between 7pm-11pm*

Download speeds* – 40Mbps
Upload speeds* – 15Mpbs

nbn tier 50 with typical minimum download speeds of 40Mbps; and nbn tier 100 with typical minimum download speeds of 80Mbps (typical minimum speeds are between 7pm-11pm*). Speeds experienced may be lower due to various factors including your in-home setup and wiring. An nbn service can never go faster than the maximum line speed available at your premises, so for FTTN/B customers we will confirm your actual speeds after connection and if your typical speed will be limited.

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

"Provides typical minimum speeds of 40Mbps between 7pm-11pm. Fixed Wireless comes with nbn tier 25."

'Typical' is the phrasing used on every spot I can find speed noted.
It also has in the terms on every listing that
"Speeds: An nbn™ service can never go faster than the maximum line speed available at your premises. Speeds can vary due to the access type, maximum speed of your broadband plan tier and your service provider’s network capacity. Find out more about speeds on the nbn network telstra.com/nbn-speeds."
and on that page for FTTN it states:
"For FTTB and FTTN customers, we can’t confirm your maximum line speed until your service is installed and activated on the nbn network. This means we will only offer the Premium Evening Speed tier once this information is available and if you are eligible unless we have included it as part of your plan. If your nbn connection doesn’t allow you to properly benefit from the speed tier you’re on, we’ll provide you with your maximum line speed, once it’s available, along with alternative options."

There is nowhere that it is guaranteed in any of the standard information.

If you were told that it was a guarantee then it would a matter of working with Telstra to try and find a resolution with them but they can't make it faster if your line can't support it, I can almost guarantee they will not give it to you for free... but they may be able to find something else. 

If the complaints agent isn't meeting your expectation you can call the complaints team and ask for it to be escalated. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

BeanieWCE

Sorry you are correct. You can imagine that 25mbs is significantly less than typical minimum speed of 40mbs.

I am pissed off with my complaints manager as I have called him 4 times in the last 9 days and he has not returned my call.
BeanieWCE

Also I have note been given any alternative options

It is less speed wise, but unfortunately the NBN is only being designed to provide at least 25mbps down for ftrn in most cases. Rougly only 25% of people on fttn will be able to achieve speeds on the 100/40 tier.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @BeanieWCE

Unfortunately, yes we are unable to guarantee speeds on the NBN due to a range of variables which can influence the speed at your address. As @343GuiltySpark and DrQ have discussed, we only talk about typical speeds for our NBN speeds.

I am sorry to read that your case manager has not gotten back to you yet, 8 days is outside of the regular time frame for a call back. So that I may chase this up for you may I please get the complaints reference number? This should begin with SR 1-1...

Please let me know when you can.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

BeanieWCE

It is SR 1-1426751569673
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thank you for the update, upon looking up this complaint reference number I can see this had been closed already.

When you did speak with the case manager last, what did they advise you would be happening moving forward?

In any case, if you would like to have a case manager discuss your situation further, you will need to lodge a new complaint.

This can be done here: https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

Feel free to keep me in the loop if you need anything further.

- Will

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

BeanieWCE

That is ridiculous, I have not agreed to close this case as it has not been resolved. i have been promised a call back by Telstra. When is this going to happen. My complaint managers supervisor Jennika has been emailed to contact me. Why is this not happening.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I apologize @BeanieWCE for the confusion surrounding your current complaint. In this case what I will do is email the case manager to get the case re-opened and for the case manager to contact you as soon as possible. I apologize I do not have access to their schedules so please allow 48-72 business hours for this to be looked into.

We will continue to be contactable via this platform should you require anything further.

- Will

BeanieWCE

Thanks Will, I was called straight away by a supervisor. Apparently there is a Telstra nbn fault in my area that will take some time to fix, I have been given a one off compensation.
Coops94
Level 4: Private Eye

I was told id be receiving an installation of some sort while my order was being delivered. I was due to get 45mbps and i have since been told 3weeks later that infact my lines will only allow 22mbps.

Atm i am receiving 1.3mbps on my xbox. Can anyone please help me
Coops94

This is exactly what has happened to me. Now im only getting 1m3mbps on the xbox but 20mbps on my phone... i dont need my phone on the wifi tho.... i signed a contract for internet for my xbox. And all these people from telstra keep telling me im getting the speeds... well actually im fact im not.

I was told id be receiving the 45 mbps and now can only receive 20.. but im not even getting that im on 1.3mbps. Cant even load a game up. Can anyone help me please
Coops94

Yep thats how they stung mee. Told me the speed thingo has been applied on the account for free from the start.. ive only been connected to nbn for 3 days and it been the worst experience ever.

After loosing my details and sending me 2 smart modems

Okay, how is your xbox connected to your modem? If its wifi how far away is it? If you're going to play online multiplayer on the xbox using wifi, you want to be on the 5ghz wifi and in the same room as the modem or within direct line of sight. Otherwise a direct connection via Ethernet is best.

Could you check the actual line rate. On the smart modem open a WEB browser connected to modem and go to
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats
Coops94

It is 20ish mbps an 3.5 mbps upload. But xbox is only recieving 1.3 wired and wireless. I am on a 79 dollar bundle connected pluss.
Coops94

Almost side by side. And both wired and wireless were tested and 1.3mbps. But other devises say 22mbps.

I only bought internet to game and its been 3 weeks of drama with telstra. Nothing but a headache
Coops94

Thank you for replying.
Coops94

Up   3.96 Mbps
Down   21.90 Mbps

Is this the download speed of a game or speedtest run on the xbox?

Coops94

This was on my phone via wifi connection

Im primarily interested in the slow download speed on the xbox

Coops94

It has been 3 weeks of some real bad headaches. I was on the phone for 4 hours yesterday. Made myself so sick from stress, saying the same thing over and over to the people on the phone. I was throwing up all last night because i wasn't getting anywhere. I kept getting transferred back and forth because billing and technical support couldnt make their minds up on what to do with my account. I had had my details lost i was told i had my second order fast traxked. They read me two set of contracts. Sent me 2 smart modems. Its just been the worst.

I switched from optus 4 weeks ago because i had a door to door salesman come and sweet talk me into believing id get a better deal. Well now i haf2 pay 79 dollars for half the speed i was supposed to be getting and its what i was receiving from optus for a cheaper price
Coops94

The slow speed are done via detailed network statistics yes. On the xbox.

1.22 download and 2.5 - 3.5 upload
Coops94

Ms 95

0%packet loss

MTU 1480

On the basic home page of the modem if you hover over a the Xbox the speed of the link between the Xbox and the modem will be displayed. What speed is the link?
Coops94

0mbps
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are able to get good speed test results from alternate devices, this indicates that we are providing the appropriate speeds.

As it is just downloads specifically on the XBox, I would suggest looking at this a bit closer. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps suggested by XBox? 

Coops94

😖
Coops94

Yes i have i have been told from xbox support that i need my ISP to help port forwarding.

And its a brand new xbox. Was working ALOT better 2 days ago before my nbn was connected.

There will be two appearances of the Xbox one for the WiFi and one on the Ethernet. The one that is connected will have a tick next to it. When a device that has been connected is disconnected it will remain on home page until its lease expires and the link speed will show as zero.
Coops94

I have told telstra i bought the service to use as i please. As the customer a i correct. Then i say i dont use my other devises. I only use the xbox one X. It was purchased on the 5 of this month. 7 days ago.
Coops94

Okay sorry i got it wrong my xbox one s was covering it. Shud i remove the other xbox as a device.

My current xbox says 1000mbps
Coops94

It shows a link speen of 1000mbps wired

And 525 wireless

If you are having trouble playing games it might not be due to speed of the connection but might be due to the correct ports being open.
Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)
These ports should be opened automatically in gateway by UPNP.
Check that UPNP is turned on in gateway Advanced > WAN Services > UPNP
If UPNP is working correctly the ports should be listed and pointing to IP address of Xbox.
Coops94

Thank you so much......Sorry if this is taking so long i just really need some actual help. Not just to be told that if the cables read that the speeds are there. Than thats the job done.. i have already taken a blow when i was told that i cant get 45mbps at the premises. But yet i still have to pay the same amount. So i guess this whole process frome being told by the sales man that i would get a better speed from telstra than i would optus has taken 3 weeks just to tell me i cant even use my Xbox once connected. But it was working perfectly fine on the 4g and when nbn sent me a msg saying it was connected i called to let yous know i wasnt receiving a good speed. Yous automatically tried to chamge me over to another plan.. and then backtracked and said oh no sorry we actually cant do that because of a ok me speed boost that i dont understand and probably never will. But all i know is im paying for a service that i am not able to use at all as far as im concerned.
Coops94

UPnP Enabled

NAT-PMP Enabled

Secure Mode Enabled

Btw here are three there that say UDP and they are ported somewhere
Coops94

Hello how do i do this
Coops94

I think one ove them is but the other two aint.
Coops94

Omg i dont know. I need abit more help.
Coops94

These ports are not listed
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Coops94

My advice would be to have a look at our Telstra Platinum service although please be aware that there's a cost involved for it however we’ll only charge you if we fix it.

You can find more information about this service on the following link: https://www.telstra.com.au/platinum-technical-support 

They are available 24x7 over the phone and online to help you get your technology working.

We can also help you face to face, in store or in your home. Extra charges apply for a home visit

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Coops94

I have been charged enough i think.

You might have to enter the port forwarding manually but if that was the cause of the problem the Xbox would not have worked on the 4G backup.
You could try turning IPv6 off on the LAN and see if that fixes the problem.
Advanced > Local Network > Local Network IPv6 State
After removing tick disconnect Xbox and then reconnect Xbox and see if it works games play OK.
Coops94

Microsoft told me MY ISP SHOULD HELP. IF NOT THEY ARE NOT WORTH THE MONEY SPENT ON THEM. i am paying for a service that should be provided. Thank you dont try and scam me

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now