CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

NBN Speed cut back

with the supposed halving of the NBN speeds from 100 back to 50, is this going to be for everyone or only for those that can't get the 100Mbps speeds.  Where I am I can generally get around 95-99Mbps only on rare occasions does it drop lower than 95.  I'm not sure what the price is for 50Mbps, but it will want to be at least 1/2 of what I'm currently paying. personally I don't think we should lose the 100Mbps just because others can't get those speeds.  Won't be a happy camper if this happens, Optus or Vodafone will be looking good, seeing as they won't be reducing the higher speeds.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: NBN Speed cut back

What type of NBN Service do you have? FTTP, HFC, FTTN/B/C?
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted

It's FTTN but I'm only about 25-30m from the node.  Always get upwards of 90-95Mbps.

Highlighted

I'm not aware of existing customers on a speed boost having it removed.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Yes - I think you will be OK. It appears to be a new policy for qualifying new sales only and possible adjustment to existing contracts for customers who are paying for the Speed Boost but later determined that it is technically not possible to deliver the 100 Mbps due to distance from the local NBN node.

I haven't seen a Telstra document but this article may provide you with some assurance.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/nbn/telstra-stops-sale-of-100mbps-nbn-plans-to-majority-of...

Highlighted

this is the news article I was reading,  https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2020/02/26/telstra-nbn-100mbps/, and I read it as they were pulling the pin on all 100mbps plans and halving the speeds for everyone.  I may be wrong but that's how I read it.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit