CrowdSupport®
phillip197
Level 1: Cadet

NBN broadband plans

I recently ordered an NBN service from Telstra after I was very happy with my current service and plan on bigpond cable. The Telstra staff advised me that the plan I was going on was identical with the NBN.

I made the point that it isn't as I currently have a 100mbps down load speed however my new speed is 40mbps. They said that the upgrade was free at the time.

The staff argued that the NBN was a more reliable service than my current one. I made the point that I was an extremely happy customer with bigpond therefore was only changing as I had to and did not see how it could be any better than my current service. 

In the end what was a happy customer is now not due to a downgrade in performance. The telstra staff advised I must upgrade to speed boost for 100mbps speed. Really ? 

Sorry but this is not a good way to treat your customers and therefore I am now considering other options.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

Re: NBN broadband plans

The nearest thing to (the wonderful) Telstra cable service is Telstra owned and operated  mobile broadband.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Level 24: Supreme Being

@ProfessorPhone 

Telstra mobile broadband for home internet is only suitable for people with large bank balances.

@phillip197 

If Telstra had its way there would be no NBN. Telstra gets far more money from customers using its own network than customers on NBN. Telstra has to charge for a speed boost because NBN charge according to the speed tier a customer is on. You could try and negotiate a free speed boost by ringing 132200 and when asked for reason of call say disconnection. You will be connected with a retention Team located in Australia who might offer free speed boost to keep you connected to Telstra.

phillip197
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks for your advise, however why does it always have to get to the disconnect state in order to obtain the same level of service I already had in the first place. It seems the disconnection staff have the power.

Telstra needs to understand that it is not a given that they will retain customers during this transition and stop stating that the service is identical.   

Level 20: Director

This is how they get you, they basically haven't lied to you but kindof stretched the truth. They advised that the plan you were going on was identical. Meaning the monthly fee is identical, not the speed.
This is the most common issue that most people complain about when moving to the NBN network with Telstra and possible other isp's.

Only option is to keep asking for it at no cost and if you get the right person most of them will give you the speed boost either free or at a lower cost than what its advertised for. If you are familiar with the whirpool forum there is a whole thread on this and how users have gotten the speed boost for free or at a lower price.

Your next option is to simply leave Telstra, move to a better isp and cheaper as well. But check if you are under contract first before doing that as you may need to pay it out if you are still under contract.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.
Level 23: Superhero

@ProfessorPhone 

Telstra mobile broadband for home internet is only suitable for people with large bank balances.

Dear cf4,    In response to your post to me, as above....... I wish to inform you that.....

You can have 50GB of genuine Post Paid Telstra 4GX mobile data for 3 coffee lattes a week  or 75GB of genuine Telstra 4GX Post Paid mobile broadband    for 7 medium Big Macs per month.

A bargain !!

https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/data-plans

Kind regards

P.P.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

If there is more than one person using the internet or even a one person household that streams a lo of videos in HD 75 GB of data would not even last a week.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit