CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

NBN constant issues

Answered

I am at my wits end here. I have a complaint in with the TIO because of communication difficulties with Telstra, and have been assigned a case manager from Telstra…who is impossible to get a hold of. She is ‘unavailable’ and despite the recorded message saying to hold so I can make a time for a call back…nobody picks up. It’s not the regular tech support number.

I’ve had ongoing issues since moving house a month ago. The previous occupants (my landlords) had no issue and NBN with Telstra. I was sent a new modem (threw away the old). My initial problem was continual dropouts. Modem rebooting many times a day. Had two NBN technicians out, one very briefly the other a ‘no show’ at my door, however logged in (so they say). Both issues marked as ‘resolved’.

More dropouts and I thought maybe it was the new modem. A new one gets sent, another NBN tech visit, in person and seemed to know what he was doing, who said there was a fault (degrading copper) which he bypassed - so - resolved. Speed good, everything passing. 10 minutes later the (new) modem drops out. So out of desperation I search here and low and behold I see that many people are having issues with the new smart modems and continual dropouts. So I find an old modem from a friend. All good, good speeds (38+mbps on the 50/20 plan) well at least compared to what we were having. For one day and half, then speed drops to 15-18mbps all weekend. Ok I think, maybe Easter break etc let's see. No dropouts for 4 days with the older modem. One dropout at day four, all good after re-booting, still lower speeds though.

I call yesterday the regular tech line about the speed issues, am told a ‘stability profile’ has just completed. She passes me on to Level 1 because I’m asking why it’s so slow. Level 1  run their tests, tech support say there’s an NBN issue, so make an appointment, reboot modem, do what ever they do remotely. Says he’s put an order in for a stability profile, and I say no, because I’ve read on here that can cause speed to drop, and I suspected that was the issue over the weekend.  Hang up. Suddenly I’m back up to 38+mbps and all good. No dropouts, consistent speed every time I check. A text saying that nbn have updated that they no longer need to come.

Then middle of today one of my son starts streaming a movie, I check the speed (because I’ve been doing this daily for weeks) to see if it’ll be fine while I’m working (uploading photos/photographer) and speedtest reads PINGS 268 (or something ridiculous), DOWNLOAD 6.7, UPLOAD 2 something (can’t remember specifics). I’m like wtf. Had checked modem stats earlier in the day and max line rate was up at 49+. Stop streaming, shut tabs etc pings are down but download is still really low. Reboot modem, speedtest is worse! Check modem stats and max line rate reads 20mbs. Turn modem off completely for 10 mins, back on…even worse. Max line rate reads 10mbps.

What would cause this? I sat on tech support (because my case manager is not contactable), he says it’s an nbn issue, makes an appointment for Friday.

The whole thing is mind boggling. I’ve never had a single issue with NBN prior to this at old house, one week before I moved in here, my landlords had perfect working NBN in this house. I am at a loss. The support line techs seem to be reading from notes, and that is all. I have no faith at all they know what they’re talking about. After reading about the modem issues here I was certain that was it, but now I don't know. I check for nbn outages, neighbours houses all fine, mine comes up as having an outage?

So really just asking for advice of ANYTHING I can ask/tell the nbn tech when he comes, because they seem quite knowledgeable in person. I really need good working internet. The last nbn tech said I would definitely benefit from a speed boost being close to the node, but need to get the damn thing reliable first.

Here are current modem stats:

1 hour 29 minutes 11 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
 6.53 Mbps  9.4 Mbps
Line Rate
 6.07 Mbps  7.51 Mbps
Data Transferred
 82.64 MBytes  1071.73 MBytes
Output Power
 7.3 dBm  14.5 dBm
Line Attenuation
 12.5, 35.6, 45.5 dB  17.6, 38.9, 56.3 dB
Noise Margin
 13.7 dB  13.9 dB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN constant issues

Those line speeds indicate there is a fault with your service, its probably due to a connection outside your house, then NBN tech booked to come out should be able to fix it.

If you have more than one phone socket in the house, I'd recommend asking the NBN tech to disconnect them from the main socket, additional sockets can cause drops and significantly reduce your lines speed capability.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Those line speeds indicate there is a fault with your service, its probably due to a connection outside your house, then NBN tech booked to come out should be able to fix it.

If you have more than one phone socket in the house, I'd recommend asking the NBN tech to disconnect them from the main socket, additional sockets can cause drops and significantly reduce your lines speed capability.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you so much, there are at least two other sockets in the house - I will be sure to ask!
Much appreciate your reply Smiley Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit