Highlighted
The_Vannarch
Level 2: Rookie

NBN dropouts and modem stuck on backup

Answered

I'll keep it brief. Got connected to the NBN (FTTN 50/20 - Northern suburb of Perth) in February and all was working fine and dandy until about 5-6 weeks ago. Dropouts started to occur sporadically with some days seeing 15-20 dropouts and others only a few. Called up Telstra regarding my issue and within a week or so the issue seemed to have been resolved. Unfortunately, the dropouts returned last week. I noticed that after it rained, my Telstra-supplied modem would switch to backup mode. I've since tried factory resetting the modem a few times as well as the regular turning it on and off from time-to-time with limited success. On the gateway the "link retrain count" was several for both yesterday and the day before. It was about 4 prior to calling up Telstra earlier.

Just called up regarding faults again earlier and a technician will be coming on Friday afternoon. We tested my home phone service and it was working fine but the internet has been stuck on backup since yesterday. A few days ago the normal NBN service was up and down every few hours. Now I'm not an expert on this type of stuff so I was wondering if I could get some advice. The assistant I called tested my line and said it was faulty; she said something about an on/off open circuit issue. 

A few questions: 

- Will I be charged for a technician visiting my home to check internal issues?

- What do the issues I've summarised typically mean/what are the most common causes?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN dropouts and modem stuck on backup

The link retrain counts indicate a fault with the NBN link between the modem and Node. The most likely cause of these dropouts is termination fault in one off the cable pits, connection pillars or the node but it might also be a faulty Node port or modem. One other thing that might cause the dropouts is EMR from an electrical device causing inducing noise into the cable.

If the fault is in the street cabling, the house wiring up to the first Telephone socket, a faulty Telstra Modem or faulty Node port you should not be charged.

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

It sounds like you're referring to a stability profile, @The_Vannarch. This is something we can enable or disable depending on what you would prefer, while it will make your service more stable there is the effect of it lowering the speeds. It's essentially a trade off for a better connection with impacted speeds. If you contact our faults team on 133 933 and specifically discuss the stability profile they'll understand what you need, sounds like there was some miscommunication with the consultant and for this I do apologise. 

Regarding having a third party come and install a new socket, that's not something we can really comment on as it's something outside of our work that you will need to source. I'm confident that if you ring around you will find a technician that will suit you.

Let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Accepted Solution

The link retrain counts indicate a fault with the NBN link between the modem and Node. The most likely cause of these dropouts is termination fault in one off the cable pits, connection pillars or the node but it might also be a faulty Node port or modem. One other thing that might cause the dropouts is EMR from an electrical device causing inducing noise into the cable.

If the fault is in the street cabling, the house wiring up to the first Telephone socket, a faulty Telstra Modem or faulty Node port you should not be charged.

The_Vannarch

Thanks for that. The modem was on backup for pretty much all of yesterday but it's now 8:30 am the next day and the normal service is up but running at less than half the speed. From 42-47 Mbps download to 17-19; 16-18 Mbps upload to 6-9 at the moment.

Will have to see what the tech says tomorrow. 

telstramodem1.png

The Noise margin is double what it normally is (about 6.0 db) which could explain the speed drop. The  Noise margin has been applied in a attempt to stop the line dropouts. The line attenuation also points to a line fault. Normally the lower frequency attenuation is much lower than higher frequency attenuation and up direction attenuation is usually lower than down direction attenuation.

The image below shows a normal link. The SNR margin is higher than normal because link is on the 25/5 NBN speed tier.

frontier_DSL_Info.jpg

The_Vannarch

Alright the technician came and checked the phone sockets, said there were more than the 2 that I knew of. He went outside my house and also to the pillar box to check and said everything was 'working as normal (outside)'. Unfortunately, one of them could be in a room that's locked (key has been lost). The house is probably 30-35 ish years old and still uses the older phone sockets. He advised me to hire a 3rd party to come and drill in a new socket next to the one I'm currently using for my Telstra modem. A few questions:

- Who are the more reliable/trustworthy options for this job?

- How much does it normally cost?

As previously stated, Telstra probably did something on their end to lower my speeds in an attempt to keep the connection stable; while the speeds were only 20 Mbps or so, they're still better than what I get from the backup.

- Am I able to be put back on that in the meantime?

The_Vannarch

Just a quick update: I called up Telstra and the lady on the other line was being very pushy; regardless, said they were unable to lower my speeds manually and continually asked if I needed to do the same tiresome troubleshooting even though I said no fewer than 3 times that "no" I don't need it as I already know what the issue is. If this is the case, who the heck lowered my download speed to 20-23 Mbps? After the technician came earlier, unplugging the cable resulted in the backup mode being enabled again. I would rather have 1/2 my normal speeds than the backup speeds. What do?

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

It sounds like you're referring to a stability profile, @The_Vannarch. This is something we can enable or disable depending on what you would prefer, while it will make your service more stable there is the effect of it lowering the speeds. It's essentially a trade off for a better connection with impacted speeds. If you contact our faults team on 133 933 and specifically discuss the stability profile they'll understand what you need, sounds like there was some miscommunication with the consultant and for this I do apologise. 

Regarding having a third party come and install a new socket, that's not something we can really comment on as it's something outside of our work that you will need to source. I'm confident that if you ring around you will find a technician that will suit you.

Let me know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

@The_Vannarch wrote:

He advised me to hire a 3rd party to come and drill in a new socket next to the one I'm currently using for my Telstra modem. A few questions:

- Who are the more reliable/trustworthy options for this job?

- How much does it normally cost?

This work has to be done by a electrician or technician with a ACMA license. Just replacing the phone socket used by the modem will not guarantee that the the house wiring problem will be fixed. To fix any faults due to existing cabling the old cable should be disconnected were it connects to the street cabling and a new cable run to the phone socket used by the modem. The cost will vary depending on how much work is involved. Your should ring a few electricians/technicians and ask them for a quote. Also ask them if they have a valid license for cabling. You can use this site to check if they have a valid license.. 

The_Vannarch

@cf4 @CodaR 

I appreciate the replies from you both and I will give another call as soon as I can. The thing I don't understand is that the 2nd person I called up earlier today told me that I was still placed on a stability profile (and also mentioned something about the bad weather in Perth causing adverse connection issues); yet, before the technician unplugged my modem, it had been running uninterrupted for a day and a half at around 20 Mbps (download). Since he left, it's been running on several hours of mobile backup. While I'm not necessarily blaming the technician, had I known that his visit would cause this to happen, I would've preferred to have stuck to the status quo. I went about a month without a PC and only just got this new desktop PC a few days ago so you can understand how frustrating it is to have to re-download everything at a snail's p

telstragateway_4.png

As for the internal wiring issues... honestly, I'm not so sure I'm convinced yet that that's the real (or at least primary) cause. I want to make it certain that it really is the issue as I don't want to spend more than I need to for a decent connection. Honestly, I'd be fine with paying the current bill's worth if it meant I had the speed I had last night (see: image attached).

The_Vannarch

@cf4 @CodaR 

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Though, if truth be told (and without meaning to sound like a whinger or conspiracy nut), I'm having some doubts over the issue primarily stemming from internal wiring from the fact that I have some family and friends who've run into their fair share of "less-than-helpful" consultants/technicians (not necessarily with Telstra) - having misdiagnosed their issues. Regardless, had I known that the technician visit would result in my modem being reverted back to the mobile backup, I would've preferred to have kept the status quo. All lights on the top of the modem were green and I was getting at least 20 Mbps download for 35 hours or so prior to the technician doing his tests; after he left, I've been stuck on mobile backup.

telstragateway_4.png

I tried calling up twice earlier today and the second assistant told me I was still on the stability profile and mentioned something about the adverse effects of the recent bad weather at my locale (rain). Presuming nothing much has really changed since that time, not sure why I'd not have a similar connection that I had before the technician left. He must've done something to have disrupted that stability. Does a simple turning off/reset cause the stability profile to be disabled/removed? In any case, I'm going to have to follow up on this as soon as I can. I just recently got a new PC after a month without one and, naturally, you could understand the frustrations of having to re-download everything at only 700 KB/s.

The_Vannarch

UPDATE: The link just turned green. I will discuss with my family what to do with regards to internal wiring but in the meantime I'm happy to say that my NBN service is back up (albeit at a slower rate but I can deal with that given the stability it provides).

telstragateway_5.png

I don’t think anything the Technician did triggered the removal of the stability profile. The stability profile will remain until it is removed manually. Because this is an intermittent fault it might have just come back or the Technician might have disturbed something to cause the fault to re-occur. Your connection will probably drop out again.

I agree with your family that it is more likely to be a cable fault in the street than a house.wiring fault. That fact that the link worked Okay for the first few months and then developed a fault suggest it is not due to have multiple phone points. I have seen many cases in which there was an intermittent fault were a NBN Technician has checked the street cabling only to report that there is no fault. It has sometimes taken several tech visits before the fault was found.

If all the extra phone points are disconnected then that will remove the possibility of the house wiring being the cause and if the drop outs continue NBN will have to send another Technician.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now