CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
mcdoan9
Level 2: Rookie

NBN fixed wireless AM radio interference

Answered

Since NBN fixed wireless was installed with 15m Ethernet cable from the outdoor antenna to the indoor termination device there is constant interference on AM radio. Particularly affected is Radio National 621 KHz but also Local Radio 774 kHz which in important in emergency. Switching off the power to the indoor termination device stops the interference, as does disconnecting the Ethernet cable at the indoor termination device. The cable looks like unshielded type; I would have expected a shielded cable. How can the interference be removed?

Thank you for any assistance. PS the Internet is now up and running speed is really good at over 20Mbps. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mcdoan99
Accepted Solution

NBN fixed wireless AM radio interference resolved

Hello Chris and others,

good news is the issue has been resolved.

an NBN technician came today and replaced the Version 1 indoor Network Termination Device (NTD) white box and the Version 1 outdoor antenna (WNTD) with Version 2 devices. The plug-top power supply was also replaced. The interference at ABC Radio National 3RN broadcasting at 621kHz from Melbourne has been eliminated. According to the technician there may be interference around 1245kHz but not relevant in my area (central Victoria). Apparently V1 NTD pairs with V1 WNTD, similarly V2 NTD pairs with V2 WNTD and V1 cannot be used with V2. Users should check their local radio stations and NTD / WNTD versions for compatability and report issues with the service provider.

Andrew 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: NBN fixed wireless AM radio interference

Hey mcdoan9,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport. Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics we have here, in our Community.

mcdoan9, that's no good at all especially that it's interfering with the National; and Emergency Radio frequencies.

In this case I recommend that you contact our NBN Technical Support Team on 1800 TFIBRE (834273) (OPT 3) for further assistance with this. Thank you. mcdoan9.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mcdoan9

Hello Joe,

thanks for the advice. I have contacted NBN who are working on the issue. I will report back with a solution and/or work-around when it comes. Meanwhile trawling through http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2170814 search for '...radio...' to discussion November 2013  - the issue is not new but no definitive answer to date.

Bobbi

hi guys just wondering what the go is with getting NBN wireless as i am on Bigpond 4g and the cost is too high for such little downloads where as NBN fixed wireless are getting 1000gb for 145 per month i am paying 125 for 15gb per month any help would be great cheers 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bobbi,

For more information on NBN Wireless you can find out here https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/home-broadband/nbn/ and have a chat to our NBN team on 1800 993 728  

thanks 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

mcdoan9

NBN fixed wireless AM radio interference update

Hello Esther,

NBNCo told me today I have to report the fault to Telstra as the service provider through whom I purchased the NBN Fixed wireless. '...NBNCO is a wholesaler...' I have just done that and were informed of a two-week delay to getting a service call.

To re-cap

24-February I called Telstra phone support reporting '...NBN Fixed Wireless AM radio interference...', and was told to call 1800 687 626

I made the call and received a reference no.

4-March followed up phone call and email to info@NBNCO.com.au

10-March follow up call

17-March follow up call '... will refer to team leader...'

21-March follow up call, told to call new number 03 9601 5169, was inforled the person responsible is on leave

31-Mar received call from NBNCO, was told to report the fault to Telstra as the service provider....

Support Team
Support Team

Re: NBN fixed wireless AM radio interference update

Hi Mcdoan9,

I'm really sorry you've had the run around, it does sound very frustrating. 

NBN is a fairly new product and yes the NBN box and cabling is supplied by the NBNco, but yes the connection, faults, billing, modem etc are handled by your service provider. (In this case us)

I would suggest calling the Telstra NBN technical area on 1800 TFIRBE (834273) option 3 and ask for the fault to be investigated and escalated if need be.

Angela

mcdoan9

Hello Angela,

the saga is continuing, sorry no resolution yet.

Since my last post a Telstra technician confirmed 04-Apr the issue is the NBNCo equipment and subsequently a case manager told me the issue affects around 1% of similar installations

Another ten days down the track the NBNCo technician missed today's appointment and has not yet contacted me.

My suggestion to NBN Fixed wireless customers who listen to ABC Radio National 621kHz:

1) when the NBN technician installs the equipment, test the radio reception e.g. with portable radio before and after the equipment is installed with power to the NBNCo equipment off and on

PS no need to wait for the service provider e.g. Telstra Gateway which causes no radio interference in my installation

2) listen for noise-type interference when radio is near the plug-top Power Supply Unit to the Network Termniation Device (NTD), should disappear when radio ~1m from the PSU

3) listen for whistle-type interference when radio is near the short cable from the NTD to the wall socket

4) listen for whistle-type interference when radio is in the building up to 15m from the NTD

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Mcdoan,

Sorry that this is still ongoing for you Smiley Sad

Do you have any reference numbers that we can look into? We can have a look and see what's going on with the appointment and what our next step is from here.

Brodie

mcdoan9

Hello Brodie,

thank you for any assistance you can give as the issue I am getting nowhere otherwise.

My Telstra case manager f1101984 gave me on 15-Mar-2014 'NBN Trouble Ticket 88223'

The NBNCO reference I received in an email 18-Mar-2014 is 511066-75748891

Since my last post no news as to when the NBN technician will come

PS anyone had experience with screened cable from the NBNCO indoor NTD to the outdoor NTD?

mcdoan9

chrisnash
Level 1: Cadet

I am having the same interference issue.

Has it been resolverd?

Many thanks

Chris

mcdoan99
Accepted Solution

NBN fixed wireless AM radio interference resolved

Hello Chris and others,

good news is the issue has been resolved.

an NBN technician came today and replaced the Version 1 indoor Network Termination Device (NTD) white box and the Version 1 outdoor antenna (WNTD) with Version 2 devices. The plug-top power supply was also replaced. The interference at ABC Radio National 3RN broadcasting at 621kHz from Melbourne has been eliminated. According to the technician there may be interference around 1245kHz but not relevant in my area (central Victoria). Apparently V1 NTD pairs with V1 WNTD, similarly V2 NTD pairs with V2 WNTD and V1 cannot be used with V2. Users should check their local radio stations and NTD / WNTD versions for compatability and report issues with the service provider.

Andrew 

View solution in original post

gunna123

hi all
Dont have NBN yet.. Latest Silicon chip page 4
Letters describes interfernce fixed by removing V2 ODU and replacing with ODU 1.
Scenarios above also show a fix going the other way
piannamanna

A friend who is a Ham radio operator has just this week had an NBN technician install new version outdoor & indoor units, which has at last resolved his AM broadcast & shortwave band interference issues. Both units are the V2 variety & look identical to the earlier devices, but with an important distinction - they are both labelled as "Rev 1b" versions. He is apparently one of the very first customers to receive this new equipment. He was in direct contact with the NBN engineering folk and he was able to give them very specific information on the frequencies eminating from the NBN equipment that were causing the interference.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now