NBNSCAM
Level 2: Rookie

NBN is a SCAM and Telstra are bullies and liars.

I have been a Telstra cable client for over 20 years, (Being one of the very early adopters), and have mostly been happy with the speed of the service until recently.

A few months ago, our service started getting dropouts and disruptions and I soon discovered that this aligned with the introduction of the NBN into our area.

Lat week, I received a pre-recorded phone call telling me that my Internet and home phone would be dis-connected within 7 days if I didn't switch to the NBN.

I immediately called Telstra to ask what was going on and they confirmed that they would have to change me over immediately.

I specifically asked to be put on a plan that would provide me with the SAME LEVEL OF SERVICE that I was currently on and was told that the new NBN plan would be BETTER AND FASTER.

I noted that my current connection rate (at peak time) was consistently around 55Mbps, and at non-peak times i regularly got over 80Mbps.

Again, the Telstra person confirmed that the plan they were going to move me to was rated at a HIGHER connection speed (50Mbps) than my current plan (40Mbps) and that the service would definitely be BETTER.

(It turns out that the NBN speed quoted was a MAXIMUM, and the cable speed was a MINIMUM so Telstra misrepresented the facts again!)

I then asked them to proceed.

When the day came for the NBN to be installed, I asked the NBN technician to run a speedtest with my current cable connection before dis-connecting it.

This was the result:

84.9 Mbps Download speed across my wireless network.

Speedtest before NBN 29 Mar 2019.jpg

After the NBN was connected , imagine my horror when this happened...

Speedtest After NBN 29 Mar 2019.jpg

I contacted Telstra and was effectively told that this was "acceptable performance" within their terms of service fro the plan I was on and that I would have no other option but to accept it.

I asked for a faster plan in my area  and was told it was Not Available.

I asked for my cable to be re-instated and was told it can't be done as an NBN connection was irreversible and the cable would be disconnected soon anyway.

This was a lie as when I looked on the NBN website, it states that services would begin to be disconnected in my area from January 2020!

The entire premise to force me to convert prematurely to the NBN was based on a lie!

If the NBN can't deliver it to me - I want my cable connection and associated speeds back.

Telstra lied to me about the availability of services and the quality of services.

I certainly don't want to be paying the same level for a significant reduction in service.

THE NBN IS A SCAM, AND TELSTRA CANNOT BE TRUSTED.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
26 REPLIES 26
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN is a SCAM and Telstra are bullies and liars.

You can get a speed boost added (extra cost), which would take your connection to 100/40.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Looks like you were on a 100/5 boosted cable services, and the CMTS was slightly congested. If you were on the 50/5 service, the highest acheiveable download speed would of been about 56mpbs. If you were on the standard cable plan but were getting those speeds, essentially it was a record/provisioning error that was in your favour and it will not carry over transitioning to anew technology type

The plan you are currently on is the 50/20 speed tier NBN plan. As Jupiter has mentioned, there is a 100/40 speed tier but it comes at an extra cost. If you were on, and paying for, a 100/5 cable service (the speed boost would of been $30 extra a month off the top of my head and would of appeared on your bills, i'd suggest speaking to sales again and advising them and seeing what options you have

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
NBNSCAM

No, I can't. I asked about this and Telstra have told me that the 50/20 plan is the only NBN plan available in my area.
NBNSCAM

Hi,
No I was not paying for a speed boost, I was on a standard Unlimited Cable plan and it is essentially the same plan I have been on for the last 20 years and they have consistently been upgrading the service and plan inclusions during that period while retaining the same rate. ($120 p/m)
The highest download speed during peak times was indeed around the 56Mbps mark with the 80Mbps + speeds available during off-peak times.
The last plan upgrade was 2 years ago and at that time I was advised that the plan was "NBN Ready" and would transfer across to the NBN with the same or better service levels at the same cost.

This was confirmed in my conversation with their sales consultant last week and they, and I, actually conducted multiple speedtests during the call which resulted in speeds of 54-56 Mbps being measured during peak times. I advised them that this was my expectation and they CONFIRMED on the call that this was definitely achievable.
Telstra knew all along what plan I was on and the speeds i was achieving. If they made a provisioning error, then this is on them, and they never advised me of this and persisted on telling me that this was achievable anyway.

If Telstra have me on the wrong plan, then I am happy to change it - but only if it can achieve the speeds they promised me and I am NOT prepared to pay a higher cost for a lower level of service. They have told me that a faster connection is NOT even available in my area, so this isn't an option anyway.
They forced me under threat of disconnection to rush into a decision that I wasn't ready to make and they set the equivalent performance expectation, not me.

My other concern is that I have already been misled multiple times by Telstra Sales people and I have absolutely no faith in them any more:
1. My previous Cable plan was NBN ready. (It wan't)
2. My cable was going to be disconnected within 7 days. (It isn't scheduled to be disconnected until sometime after Jan 2020).
3. NBN connection speeds will be comparable to or better than my CURRENT cable connection speeds. (They clearly are not).

If they can't give me the connection speeds they promised over NBN, then I would prefer to have my cable connection and previous plan to be re-instated until it is disconnected. By January 2020 I will have had time to research the availability of alternate (Most likely wireless) options.
I have raised a complaint with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman as well.
NBNSCAM

I should also note that when I raised my concerns immediately after the NBN connection the Telstra support person I was connected to advised me that there was a service outage in my area and that NBN speeds were affected and that technicians were attending to it "right now" and that service speeds would be restored within 24-48 hours.

This was AFTER I had advised them of the actual connection speeds and while the NBN technician was still here.

The NBN technician advised me that he had checked the cables and the connection and that there was no fault and that this was a direct lie.

NBNSCAM

I am not interested in having to pay extra to achieve the same level of service I had previously.
I would prefer to have my previous service re-instated.
pasc
Level 1: Cadet

I have a plan which I pay extra for a speed boost and this is the sort of service I experience regularly. Inconsistent, drop outs

CA8BC6AB-3260-4438-BB1D-C9242F7D7A4C.png

NBNSCAM

That's very disappointing. Unfortunately not surprising however.

You want be able to go back to cable but you might be able to get out of your existing contract with Telstra terminated without paying an early termination fee and go with another provider as Telstra is no longer provided the same service they provided with cable.

Have you lodged a complaint with Telstra as you might be able to negotiate a free speed boost? You can lodge a complaint by ringing 132200  and when asked reason for call say complaint or use online form.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/account-billing/manage-account/our-complaints-handling-p...

There are benefits with being on NBN your upload speed is greater and there is much less packet loss. 1.3% on cable versus zero on NBN.

NBNSCAM

Hi cf4,
My Telstra contract has already ended so exiting the contract isn't an issue.
I have lodged a complaint with Telstra and they have offered me a speed boost "if it is available in my area".

I'm waiting for them to get back to me.

The upload speed might be greater and no packet loss, but within the first few days it has already dropped out totally multiple times - so reliability and consistency of service may be another issue I will have to monitor.

I only changed because I received a pre-recorded phone message telling me that my service would be disconnected within 24 hours if not converted to NBN. (I have a recording of this call)
Although the Telstra consultant couldn't confirm where the call had come from, they didn't dispute it and strongly suggested that I switch to NBN ASAP and she would be able to "ensure continuation of my service until then".
On the day of the NBN install, I received a letter from NBN Co. advising me that my existing services would BEGIN being disconnected as of January next year.
The Telstra consultant misled me, and even if they weren't responsible for the recorded message, they certainly took advantage of it and with-held information about the actual disconnection period for my existing service.
Level 21: Augmented

I use to be so jealous of peoples cable speeds when I was on ADSL, not anymore, now that I am on Telstra's NBN my speed rocks :-)
Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Newman1975

Hi
Me too I do not trust Telstra anymore ,in just one month they lies to me many times and this is my story.
I wanted to have unlimited connection so I asked for NBN but they told you can have only ADSL in your area and you have to wait till u r covered by NBN then we will swap it for you then after the technical come home he could not find the signal in their premises and he went and when I complain about this another sales person said to me that the ADSL is an old technologie we can not offer this anymore you have to wait for NBN to be installed and you can use the 4G backup till then.i have no choice I accepted even though I have to pay the same price as NBN ,90$ a month,after 1 month the connection become so slow that I can not open even a webpage , and After I called them they said that it automatically become slow by time cause it is just a backup and that they will unchape it to become as before but they did not do. And now I have to talk every day with different service help desk to solve this and even they keep telling me that they sent my request but still they did not answer and if I want them to resent it again. So I paid 189$ total for nothing.
90$+ 99$ service connection.
Today I talked with them again and Told them that I cannot trust Telstra anymore they said you can cancel if you want .
I am sorry for my long story and my bad English but I really wanted to share this with people so that they will not suffer as I did.
Thanks for reading
Level 20: Director

Love reading these issues and love using them to remind friends and family that Telstra is just so bad.
Just interested, do you have any sort information in writing stating that you will get 50Mbps? if so then they have breech the ACCC's ruling and you have a very strong case to get out of anything you want.
But they should only be advising you that they can provide you speeds of UP TOO 50/20 in the first month and then they can move you to a higher tier if your connection can handle it which again are speeds of UP TOO 100/40 (assuming that you are on NBN HFC). This again is mandated by the ACCC. They cant or arent allowed to put you straight onto the 100/40 straight away.

If your connection is dropping out make sure you log it with Telstra again and again and again. NBNco need at least 5 within a 24 hour period before they will even consider coming to your residence to investigate. But if you dont report then nothing will happen.

Also remember with the NBN you can go to any provider you want! My opinion check out AussieBB, local Aussie support staff and probably best in my opinion.
Note: I am in no way affiliated with Telstra, i simply work in the IT industry and my posts are from experiences.
If you don't want my help simply disregard my post.

Of course NBN is a scam it wasnt meant for the end user to enjoy.....

it was for all that spy/stalk ware from

Five Eyes Group

Google

Amazon

Apple

Microsoft

for good measure they had to throw a distraction in there

so they gave you Huawei and ZTE oh and cant forget the russians

Mwwwaaahhh mwwaahhh

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
Level 22: Superhuman

NBN's original design in my opinion and in my experience with having FTTP connection at home would have been worth the cost of building it and would not have resulted in the nightmare that it has become. The change to the Multi Technology mix has been a huge waste of money both in building it and the number of headaches its caused for consumers and retail service providers.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

Hi NBNSCAM - sad to see how the world has changed. My 88 year old neighbour receives telemarketing calls from people claiming to represent Telstra and NBN regularly, sometimes 2 times a day, with the message saying to call a particular number to resolve matters immediately, some even claiming that his NBN connection is causing problems in the network. I set up Call Screening on his answering machine but he still keeps getting trapped into answering the calls as they sound very official and I can understand how anyone receiving such as call would respond quickly. I have trained him to ignore these scammers by hanging up on them as I don't believe it a standing practice of either companies (he has been on Optus NBN for over 12 months).

It appears to me, as a consequence of receiving the initial suspect call, that you have inadvertently fallen victim to an opportunistic call centre sales person taking advantage of you, enabling them to meet their connection quota for the month. You may have a case for remedial a commercial settlement with Telstra through a complimentary Speed Boost and hope that is the actual resolution for you. I acknowledge that the 100/40 service may be delayed in your area which is currently limited to 50/20 and possibly made 100/40 sometime in the future. You indicated that your current bill is $120 a month which equates to the $90 NBN 50/20 + $30 Speed Boost, so hopefully the $30 a month should be waived.

As a matter of interest, I note in your posting that you did the speed test using a Wi-Fi connection - these are generally significantly below LAN cabling connections with a high degree of variance each time you use Wi-Fi. Did you undertake any speed tests with LAN connections to the Telstra Router with all other devices turned off and were they any better? Some say the most accurate Speed Test , is done directly on the Black NBN Modem and whilst I agree it should be used as the benchmark for service delivery, the PC-LAN-Router test is more than adequate. I hope your matter is eventually resolved to your satisfaction. All the best. 

Generally, people only post to have a winge. A.k.a wingepool forums is a good example of that.

So I can debunk the thread of this post by saying my Bigpond NBN is terrific. I get the speeds I should based on the distance I am from the node.

It is by far better than I could ever achieve with the old ADSL.

Most monthly report cards from SamKnows only supports this post.

speed 1.jpg

spped2.jpg

My interactions I have with Telstra are always professional. The only 'CON' I could remark on is the oversea's support needs more training. But our local guys in Australia are brilliant.

So I am happy to say 'Thanks" Telstra/NBN... kudo's!

I get the OP of this thread is having issues, but I feel the thread subject is way out of line, and offensive.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
samuels
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN is what it is based on voting these lib flappers in three times in a row.

Most of us would have got fibre if there wasnt a coup and people listened to the industry peeps and saw through the lies coming from that NBN Malcolm Turnbull Mess (MTM)..

i only get 70mbit of my 100mbit connection, telstra line records state i am 900 metres from the FTTN cabinet, though 520 metres by direct road.

Having said that, i am okay with the sync rate, i too get what my physical limit (read: due to distance) pretty much all the time through Telstra. Beats my old 4.5mbit adsl woes, any day.

My speed tier is 100/40 on FTTP and whenever I'm running a speed test i consistently get over 90mbps.

Apart from a few outliers in the speed test results from SamKnows, I'm getting what I pay for and I'm very happy with my connection.

DL.PNG

For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

With the rate that nbnco we’re installing connections before MTM, independent assessment said it would be 2035 before the large majority of people were on nbn and up to 2050 to be completed. Yes it would have been FTTP, but 2035... for the average user even 25-50 MTM is better then a 2, 3, 5Mbps ADSL connection.

I mean give me FTTP any day, but, both plans had downsides.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

There is no argument that FTTP is more reliable and in most cases faster than FTTN/B/C but it also costs a lot more and takes longer to install. When you buy a car you don’t buy the fastest and most reliable you buy one that you can afford and meets your needs. Some people are happy with a landline only and others are happy with a 12 Mbps connection. I know people on FTTP connected on the 12/1 tier because that is all they need and is all they can justify paying for.

Initially when it was decided that all NBN would use FTTP except for country areas Telstra had no incentive to maintain its copper network and has not maintained it properly. When NBN Co took over the copper infrastructure they did not fix the many potential faults in the cabling. In my area there are many locations were pillars have been left with broken or no covers and joints have been left exposed to the elements. This is why some FTTN connections are unreliable and are unable to obtain a reasonable speed.

I am fortunate that I have a reliable connection but the speed is limited to 40/12 due to the distance from the node. This is more than adequate for my needs and is much faster than my previous ADSL connection (6/0.7).
preyingfornbn

NBN is Govt. owned. The Govt. decided to save money and not have all connections on fibre. How they thought running fibre to old copper would give anyone an acceptable speed is just funny. Instead of giving the fibre contract to Telstra, who built, maintain & used to own the network, they gave it to NBN who clearly don’t know what they’re doing. NBN were in over their heads & admitted their contract was too low, each household would have to pay 6.5k for FTTP (fibre al the way) the Govt. said we’re not paying that, NBN said we’ll go bust if we do & now most households have paid the $300 NBN ‘fee’. NBN (not understanding the infrastructure as they didn’t build it) could not come up with a solution & no-one (understandably) wanted to change their service to something worse, so the Govt. decided to allow NBN to perform mass forced migrations. Thousands of businesses lost their numbers (imagine the cost of changing all advertised numbers for a big business, or the lost business due to no calls coming in, or the emergency services that require phone numbers all being cut) so Telstra, based on the dates for scheduled forced migration) given to them by NBN, left messages on all of their customers phone lines to avoid any further million dollar losses for their business customers who had had their numbers disconnected & could no longer get them back. The Govt made a poor decision on giving the cheaper tender to NBN. They underestimated the network installation cost, didn’t know what they were doing & their best solution was force consumers to pay the undercut shortfall or go bust & then the Govt would be stuck with no service to what they’d done so far & no more services coming. Should they admit fault, kick NBN & their rubbish half fibre half copper solution out & allow Telstra to try & fix the mess or do they stumble forward & pray for a miracle? No one knows. What I know is that i’m little old new zealand, we didn’t have to pay a cent for fibre from the cable hub to the premises & ‘mega fibre’ speeds in Dunedin are 1000GB/ps. Yes, you read that right. Fair play, the country’s a lot smaller and there’s less fibre optic cable to lay, but, there are also a lot less taxpayers there, where’s all of Australia’s taxes being spent if not on respectable internet?

where’s all of Australia’s taxes being spent if not on respectable internet? on American Bombshells like the F35

The Aus Fed government made a complete balls up of the communications deregulation, they also made a complete balls up of the state utlities. It probably didnt help that they didnt know how to deal with militant unions with out dumping the service.

the NBN is gov owned but they had intentions of flogging it off at the next available flee market when it was built.

Using the NZ if you said it was $1000 per sqm to do FTTP, and you did the entirety of Australia and entirety of NZ, if you then divided that cost by the population in comparative terms it would be about twice as expensive per person in Australia.

Japan/Korea/Singapore have the same advantage, their density is so much higher and land mass so much lower it drastically changes the costs pp.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

@DrQ I agree with you.

I just think you may have misunderstood what i meant.

When they sold off Telstra Lock (customer database), Stock (Infrastucture) and Barrel (research and development) it became a doubled up cost to tax payers to implement the NBN.

If the government had only sold off the customer databases, we wouldnt have had to re-buy all the pits, towers, nodes, etc. (the infrastucture).
keeping the Research and Development in government hands would potentially have avoided some of these huawei style issues.

in terms of the militant unions, they kept asking for money, without nessarily doing the research on the cost/benefit analysis. (yes i remember what happened with the pilots strike). I dont deny them asking for more money, providing they have done a costing of how its going to affect the people least able to afford their pay rises.
and yes the corporate elite should be pummeled for their rediculous pay packets at the expense of workers (front liners).

Oh I completely agree about the way it was sold off. It should have been broken up, but I was more commenting on the person before.
Helpful Links

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now