CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

NBN is too slow. How do we go back to ADSL2?

We have had NBN for a week. It is too slow. How do we roll back to ADSL2, it was faster and more reliable? We are on the Central Coast. Why did Telstra contact us and tell us we had to change to NBN? We feel duped. Are we the only ones? Please advise.

Spoiler

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 10: Junior Detective

Re: NBN is too slow. How do we go back to ADSL2?

No you are not the only one's. Just read the comments from other users on this forum, there are Thousands of complaints regarding speed and drop-outs. Once the nbn is in your area you had 18 months before you had to connect to the nbn, You should have waited till then. I don't think you can go back to your old ADSL 2. Sorry.
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

No you cannot move back once you migrate over to nbn, the way the nbn was designed by alp was to ensure everyone had to be on the nbn so it forces everyone to either move over to nbn or lose their services completely after 18 months.

typically at the start of the 18 months when it first gets activated and again at the end when the final migrations are forced there is speed issues for most providers in most areas...

The way the nbn charges the providers is that along with a line rental fee they have to buy capacity to provide the speed, the thing with it though is that the capacity is priced in such a way that most of the time providers have to try balance out how much they have and how much they actually need... So what happens is if they have a influx of people migrated over at once it can take a bit of time before the balance is found again. We have been good here but we are currently at 17 month mark and our nbn has just slowed down again for the same thing...
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

we all got scammed don't worry.

my adsl2+ was just as fast as my NBN connection and lower ping and cheaper.

the NBN is an absoloute joke that only people that didn't get it will find funny

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

The NBN Speeds and ping are good in Victoria but it's the constant dropouts that really piss me off.

Highlighted

It is one of those things. Once it is rolled out and everyone is on the network the nbn will continue to drop the CVC (their virtual bandwidth the providers buy) pricing until it is balanced and that will continue to allow speeds to be more stable and allow higher speeds to be offered as standard. At least in theory, for people on FTTN their best bet will be a open system like ADSL where you get what your connection can handle up to the max (pretty much the 100 mark), fixed wireless the 50 mark and FTTP/Hcf well they theoretically will be higher. At least that is the concept, but they gotta keep the price up to cover the costs of the network which means that the tax payer ends up paying twice for the network.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

i want this option as well, i have been onto telstra and all they can offer is a drop in plan not a fix to the NBN issues in Muswellbrook. My speed averages any time of day at 3-4mbit per sec, ADSL was about 10-14mbit (roughly). NBN was great as i was one of the first on the node for the first two weeks now its useless. I guess im just another unhappy NBN customer.

Highlighted

Have you spoken with tech support about the speed? If so, what did they inform you?
Helpful Links

Highlighted
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Are you using cable to your building or Wireless, Fixed or portable  ?

An informative article:       

https://www.arnnet.com.au/article/630715/most-aussie-nbn-resellers-yet-make-speed-claim-change/

Self switched from Fast - ADSL2+   to Fast - NBN (Fixed-Wireless)  early July,  sometimes great, other times experienced apparent congestion problems.

In August upgraded to Very Fast - NBN (Fixed-Wireless)  now the account shows plan Very Fast - NBN (Fixed-Wireless) also extra item NBN Very Fast Speed Boost.

Since then no congestion problems.

For peace with young ones online as well,  yes it was worth it !

Every dawn is a brand new year...

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit