CrowdSupport®
techs
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN not working since receiving Gen 2 Smart modem

Hi all,

On the 30th of May I was sent a Telstra Gen 2 Smart modem to replace the original Telstra supplied modem due to a fault with the device.

Since receiving the new Gen 2 modem, I haven’t had access to the NBN.
After countless phone calls and online chat sessions, It’s finally been escalated to NBN for investigation 10 days after raising the problem.

I’ve been through countless sessions of troubleshooting with Telstra support, however I thought I’d ask the brains trust.

Status light on the front is green, the online light is green, DSL light is green, however you’re unable to browse even though the status is showing as connected and online.

Thanks al!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
28 REPLIES 28
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN not working since receiving Gen 2 Smart modem

What type of nbn is it?

If you are unsure, does the Telstra modem plug into a phone socket, into a white nbn box, into another nbn modem.

As the DSL light is green I assume FTTN (into the phone socket), but it is worth double checking Smiley Happy
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

techs

My apologies! Connection type is FTTN.

Which version off the smart modem do you have? Is it the Arcadyan LH1000? If it’s the Arcadyan check the firmware version (Advanced > Info Summary).

If you disconnect the DSL port and wait about 4 minutes does modem switch to 4G backup and do you have internet access?

techs

It is the Arcadyan LH1000 running firmware version 0.07.05r.

Yes it does, if I unplug DSL it switches to 4G backup and I do get internet access, but the access is lost once it’s back on DSL.

I got curious last night and tried the original modem on DSL and found that it connects and I’m able to browse, so it seems there’s something going on with the Gen 2 modem.

I was hoping your modem had an earlier version off the firmware which prevented internet access on some NBN connection.

The only thing you could try is disabling LAN IPv6 in the modem and then reconnecting devices. (Advanced > Local Network)

techs

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll give this a go when I get home and let you know!
techs

No luck - turning off LAN IPv6 renders the same problem, the modem states everything is online, however you're unable to browse via DSL. 

One thing you could try is entering 172.217.25.46 into the address bar of your browser which is IP address of Google. If you can access google then the problem is a DNS problem and you could try setting a custom DNS in the modem and then reconnecting your device. (Advanced > Local Network) To ensure custom DNS works leave IPv6 disabled. Suggest use 8.8.8.8 as custom DNS.

If you cant access google using its IP address (172.217.25.46) you have to wait for NBN to investigate.

Mkrtich
Level 12: Master Detective

techs - was the original modem you call DSL, on ADSL2 ( PPPoE,User Name and Password required or NBN VDSL2 (IPoE - Dymanic IP, no Uername and Password required)?

techs

No luck with this unfortunately, funny enough though, when looking at the IPv4 settings, by default it is set to telstra as a DNS provider, however the DNS address is blank. 

I received a text message this morning stating that NBN has concluded their investigations and I would receive a call shortly, the fact it still isn't working doesn't really give me much confidence...

techs

The original modem was also running NBN FTTN VDSL2, however i've noticed that my Telstra username and password is listed in the PPPoE field on the original modem. 

Should i change the username and password on the new modem to my telstra username and password for the sake of it?

The new modem currently shows "newdsluser@bigpond.com" as a username. 

If the DNS field is blank the modem uses the default DNS which is the gateway IP address. If you check the DNS settings in Network adapter on your PC you will see it is set to 192.168.0.1 when the DNS field is set to blank on the modem. Devices send all DNS request to the modem which then sends them to the DNS address displayed on the Advanced > Internet > Internet Access.

newdsluser@bigpond.com is the default username that is set in the modem by factory default. It will do no harm to enter your correct username and password.

I don’t think it is a NBN Link fault but a Network configuration fault. Your old modem might not have been faulty. Could you post the Advanced > Internet > Internet Access page. For security reason edit the image and remove the IPv4 and IPv6 address under the directly under status. This will give a clue as to what might be causing the problem.

techs

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner. 

After many more phone calls with Telstra, and ANOTHER Gen2 modem delivered, I still have no internet access via DSL FTTN. 

All tests being run from their end are passing, so they've organised to send a Telstra technician out to my house on Monday to investigate. 

After having no NBN since the 30th of May, i'm a bit over dealing with the whole thing. 

Level 22: Superhuman

Try and get a Technicolor modem. Looks similar....but vents on side below lid.
Technicolor written near serial number.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
techs

I'll see what the Telstra tech says tomorrow - hopefully they'll be able to get me back online!

Level3ESD
Level 1: Cadet

Interesting I have a similar fault condition. My original Telstra Gen 2 Smart modem had updated to Firmware 0.07.05R and had the Online light on, WAN/DSL on but the phone LED was off. No Internet connectivity. 

132203. Assumed Router was faulty and sent me another. All was good, new router all go. but was on Firmware version 5. It did an update to 0.07.05R and same fault condition. Phone call to support did get connectivity via the 4G connection but it was was incredibly slow like it had been shaped but they had no joy.

Current Telstra approach...suspected faulty Telstra Gen 2 Smart modem we'll send you another one.......my old Gen 1 works fine.

Level3ESD
Level 1: Cadet

OK here we go. I attempted to get the replacement smart modem to work again last night, so unplugged the GEN1 which was working and connected the replacement Gen2. Same fault Online Green, WAN/DSL Green. Mobile signal Orange, Phone not illuminated.

Thought I would try and muck about with it. After trying a few different options the following worked.

Disconnected the WAN cable and power cycled the router.

Mobile connected very slowly. Phone LED still out.

Went to the 192.168.0.1 page logged in and then to moved to advanced, Management, Factory Defaults, reset. Allowed the reset to occur. Still the same as above. Left it for 15minutes while having dinner and then under the same page did a restart.

The Gen 2 then connected via the mobile network, LEDS fired back up and had the phone working.

Plugged the WAN back in and all good.

Accessed the log and it appears when the above occurred the router accessed the TR069 server. 

So I returned to my original Gen2 and repeated the process. When it fired up plugged into the WAN same fault. I followed the above and life is good.

2 x working Gen2 routers

3 x wasted hours with 132203. Staff did try to do their best and were helpful but I do miss having onshore staff.

2 x days without any service.

2 x hours mucking about with the Gen2's

Good luck to all the struggle is real.

techs

Interesting!

I'll give this a go tonight and see if i have any luck. 

An update on my fault - the technician that was supposed to attend today, but was cancelled as NBN didn't find a fault and therefor didn't think the technician was necessary....without contacting and advising the customer...being me. 

I've been asked to call Telstra again and conduct further testing (i'm not sure how much more testing can be done), so i will do this tonight and see where that gets me (if anywhere). 

Day 19!

techs

No luck with following what you did unfortunately, i'm currently on hold with Telstra so we'll see where i end up. 

In the Logs, there is a bunch of errors about an ACS, see below. 

17.06.2019 20:20:27 TR069: Sending 4 VALUE CHANGE inform to ACS.

17.06.2019 20:20:27 TR069: Inform Fail!!(Invalid URL or ACS unreachable)

17.06.2019 20:20:27 TR069: ACS connection failed with error code 0

17.06.2019 20:20:27 TR069: Next ACS connection in 6 seconds

17.06.2019 20:20:44 TR069: Sending 4 VALUE CHANGE inform to ACS.

17.06.2019 20:20:44 TR069: Inform Fail!!(Invalid URL or ACS unreachable)

17.06.2019 20:20:44 TR069: ACS connection failed with error code 0

17.06.2019 20:21:00 TR069: Next ACS connection in 28 seconds

17.06.2019 20:21:21 TR069: IPv4/v6 path is not detected (NewIPvXPass=FALSE)

17.06.2019 20:21:37 TR069: IPv4/v6 path is not detected (NewIPvXPass=FALSE)

17.06.2019 20:21:54 TR069: IPv4/v6 path is not detected (NewIPvXPass=FALSE)

I'm not sure if ACS (unsure what this stands for, potentially some kind of access control list?) is the cause of the problem, does anyone know what ACS is or does?

techs

Update - So after another 40 minute phone call, it appears the MAC address and Serial number that's listed on my account doesn't match the MAC address and serial number of the modem I have....again.

The case will be escalated to NBN for the THIRD time to have the MAC address and SN updated on their system...

Mkrtich

Interesting outcomes. Wikipedia lookup on TR069 is a good read and it explains what the ACS function and perhaps why it is sometimes not without issues. From Level3ESD experiences, it appears that a TR069 look up may have updated the ACS registry for the two Smart Modems' MAC Address/Serial Number or Updated the Firmware properly over the 4G WAN vs the usual method, if the WAN/DSL was a healthy link, which I didn't realise was possible. Good to know and thanks Level3ESD for sharing your results. 

PS - I think a Software Restart from within the web interface may be a better way for encouraging corrections or Firmware Updates as I would expect the Modem software to first shut down correctly before the power down and power up. 

There is a good explanation of ACS and TR069 here

ACS is abbreviation for Automatic Configuration Server. The ACS is used to remotely configure the modem, for example on an ADSL link it would transfer the username and password to the modem. The modem is trying to connect to Telstra’s ACS and due to the link being faulty can’t reach the ACS server. This is probably a symptom of the faulty link and not the cause.

Did you try factory resetting the modem and then rebooting modem while the DSL port is disconnected?

Factory reset: Advanced > Management System Reset > Reset

Reboot: Advanced > Management System Reset > Restart

I don't believe its a NBN based issue

I've already sent a separate example of this behaviour to modem engineering as everything points to the modem being at fault. 

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
techs

Interesting, I shall have a read about the ACS, just because i'm curious!

I did indeed - i factory reset the modem last night while disconnected from DSL, and left it running on mobile for approx 30 minutes after the reset before reconnecting the DSL cable. 

Speaking with the technicians, it seems the MAC address mismatch in my account is what's causing the issue. 

Apparently the only thing left to do now is have a technician attend my premises and check everything, so i will keep you updated!

Day 20.

Mkrtich

Level3ESD - are you on NBN HFC or NBN FTTN. It seems you have on at least three occasions changed your Telstra Smart Modems (TSM) thereby altering their respective MAC Addresses and Serial numbers and eventually synchronised OK on all three devices which indicates a dynamic nature to the registrations rather than a fixed one.  

techs

Update - I'm finally online!

After receiving a text message from NBN today stating that the problem had been fixed, i came home and power cycled the modem and BAM, I'm online. 

Thank you all for your help and suggestions!

Glad to know that your problem has finally been fixed. Would have been nice to know what the problem was. I don’t think it was a wrong modem MAC address or serial number as I have used second hand Telstra modems and non Telstra modems on my connection with no problems. These would modems would not have had a serial number or MAC address that matched that on my account.

Thanks you for keeping us informed.

Mkrtich

techs - Great outcome. This implies that there may have been a technical problem on the port assigned to your service in the NBN Node ISAM equipment located within the Street Node/Expansion Module or a possible incorrect assignment of the ISAM port's MAC address to your service by NBN. Good to know we can change out Modems without issue. Cheers.  

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now