Highlighted
Notfunny
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN or Telstra modem drop out issues

Answered

Well, I'm over it.

Since connecting to the NBN, every day, every couple of hours the connectivity drops out.

I'm not sure what the fault is and I can't believe how long it's taking to fix. I don't think you guys at Telstra understand what is happening, so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.

From the very start, first hour, the dropouts begun. So to keep a 'very' long story short;

4 months later..

• On the 3rd Modem,
  • Removed all the house telephone wiring and put new solid core phone cable in, there is only one plug on the one cable that goes directly into the modem. NBN and Telstra kept blaming the house wiring.
  • So what is happening;

The internet stops, all lights stay lit on the modem, then after about 5 minutes of inactivity, the modems lights all go out except the power light.

Now, Telstra, are claiming connection issue due to physical connectivity, however, if you manually disconnect the line, you get a different response from the modem. Only the top 3 lights go out, as the WIFI light remains on with the power light. So one could draw a conclusion it might not be the physical connection issue that everyone is looking for.

So, after new modems, new wiring, new connections, i just don't know what is left, but one thing is for sure it's causing a whole lot of greif and i've run out of patience as the problem seems to be getting worse.

Please let me know if you've had the same problem and what the fix is, if at all there is one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Notfunny
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN or Telstra modem drop out issues SOLVED

Telstra thought they'd try modem no. 4, a different modem though this time. Telstra has a gateway 'MAX 2'.

Plugged it up, It did a self-reboot about an hour after, but it was quick and painless, I assume it was an update, then has stayed online consistently since  (4 DAYS)

The gateway MAX 2, is a bit bigger in size, has a couple of extra ports, a larger transformer, speed of internet is still ordinary but I'm connected after about 4 months of messing around.

Finally, it seems to be problem solved.

Telstra gateway

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN or Telstra modem drop out issues

That almost sounds as if the modem is receiving a reboot signal from somewhere. If it were to reboot, that would cause all the lights to go out, without affecting the power light.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Notfunny

Thanks Jupiter

I could agree, as it's latest trick is to start another reboot, while rebooting.

The difference, however, is that the internet connection is lost 5 minutes before what appears to be the reboot process.

1) Connection lost

2) 5 minutes pass

3) All lights go off except power

4) Lights very slowly come back on, wifi first, then the top 3.

However, while the top 3 lights are making their way back on, the modem might choose to start the process again, just for kicks.

I've manually rebooted, disconnect - reconnect, power off - power on, all the normal efforts have been tried.

(I've resorted to using my mobile as a hot spot to use the computer, a hell of a way to chew up data, but I need access.)

Moving to NBN has been a big mistake.

If it's happened on 3 different modems, then you are either the unluckiest person in the world, or it sounds like the port in the Node is faulty.

I would be ringing 1800 834 273 and getting them to request that NBN Co investigate as it sounds like a problem on their end.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Notfunny

Agreed,

I might be the unluckiest person in the world as they have already changed the port at the node.

I'm awaiting yet another appointment time with NBN, but we keep going around in circles so I don't hold much hope. There's a lot of handballing going on.

Notfunny
Accepted Solution

Telstra thought they'd try modem no. 4, a different modem though this time. Telstra has a gateway 'MAX 2'.

Plugged it up, It did a self-reboot about an hour after, but it was quick and painless, I assume it was an update, then has stayed online consistently since  (4 DAYS)

The gateway MAX 2, is a bit bigger in size, has a couple of extra ports, a larger transformer, speed of internet is still ordinary but I'm connected after about 4 months of messing around.

Finally, it seems to be problem solved.

Telstra gateway

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Notfunny,

I'm glad to hear you've managed to get this sorted out and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist with.

-Chris

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

WMFrustrated
Level 2: Rookie

We have had on average 8 dropouts per day ever since we connected with NBN - so we lose our landline and Internet. I work from home so I am beyond frustrated, basically about to lose my job.

We have spoken to Telstra every day for a few weeks now.

They keep saying that they have contacted NBN and everything is fine.

We have had several bookings for technicians and each time they don't turn up.

We call again - oh yes everything is fine so we cancelled the technician. We say again, over and over that everything is not fine. We have even been talking to Telstra while the dropout has occurred.

I cannot take it anymore, I am sick of being called a liar and being told everything is fine.

Apparently we have a case manager - we have no idea of their name and they have not contacted us despite many promises.

We have made complaints but ALWAYS remained polite in every conversation. Not sure how long this can last - we are at the end of our rope.

Any suggestions on what to do next - yes we have gone to the Telecommunications Ombudsman but we need an immediate fix.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi WMFrustrated,

This does sound frustrating, I'm sorry you've had so much trouble with your NBN. 

If you have an SR case number you can share with me, I can contact your case Manager, send them a copy of this correspondence & ask that they contact you. 

Angela

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

WMFrustrated

As soon as I can get hold of this information I will let you know.
AFrustrateduser

I guess NBN and Telstra are well aware of this model drop out problem because it looks like it has been reported here by by far from a few user before. 

It has been since June when i upgraded to NBN that things went foul.  It drops many times a day.  And the usual, I called, they asked me to test the modem, send someone out, nothing found, close the case, the next day I call, they asked me to test the modem, send someone out ... and you know the drill... 

... and after 8 NBN technician, 3 modems replacement, 2 case managers (none of them call me back any more).

... and today, I have another complaint manager asking me if I have tried to trouble shooting the modem!!!!!

what do i need to tell you all?

I have asked the last case manager to do her homework, until she has a good understanding of what has done to my case, then call me back.

I know telstra support people is monitoring this thread, if so, PLEASE, PLEASE  fix the damn service before you start a business!

9428 843 3825!!!!

Technical Support
Technical Support

Depending on the type of NBN you have, you can also try bypassing the modem but as you have had the multiple modems I would assume FTTP which means the modem cannot be bypassed. 

As the technical support team has already tried replacing the modem a few times and NBN have not been able to find an issue then I would suggest seeing if the support or complaints team can look into changing the modem model as there are a few different ones available currently. 

- AlistairQWA

AFrustrateduser

Are you suggesting that Telstra starts sending out all the modem types to my premise and let's try all the type to see what works best!!!!!???

Technical Support
Technical Support

If the issue is indeed with that modem type as you have mentioned then this would resolve the issue or at least disprove that theory. It is also something that appears to have not been tested as yet and would get you off the cycle of organising another NBN tech with the same hardware.

- AlistairQWA

sandbar

Ok, I had NBN switched on on Thursday of this week, after 30 disconnections I gave up trying to get onto the Internet, I work as moderator on a playing card site, and I may be online for 5 mins, then discon, on again, discon.

This is todays efforts

8.26am OFF 8.29 ON

8.47am OFF 9.08 On

9.34am OFF 9.40 ON

9.41am OFF 9.44 ON

This kept going the same until at 10.48 am I gave up..........

I tried again in the afternoon.

3.09pm OFF 3.13 ON

3.17pm OFF 3.21 ON

etc etc etc

They are sending a technician out on Thursday, the earliest they said, before this I had ADSL2, and was very happy with it, I wish I had never heard of NBN>

Sharks

Well since the nbn was put In place during the last couple of weeks in our street the cable network has been crap.

Various dropouts , speed drops bloody ridiculous. Until then is was great.

SO soon I have no option but to go to nbn. How good is this.

I imagine the network will get over populated and performance drops will be the norm,

Reading the above posts and other forums this is not looking good.

nw2
Level 1: Cadet

Iám having similer problems my phone and internet has been dropping in and out since thurs 22/12as iám an elderly person nearly 80 years old and no whi kid with computors and with a very frail sick wife I need the landline and the internet working all the time not now and then as it is now and so very slow when it doe's work the nbn people are supposed to be coming out to work on the line out the front of our house iám crossing my fingers and hope they fix the problem they should rename the nbn the national breakdown service
Support Team
Support Team

Hi nw2

Not good to hear your service is dropping out.

Thanks for letting us know the NBN is coming out to work on the lines in front of your house.

Let our Support Team via 1800 834 273 know if it is not resolved after this, they are open 24x7.

CSK5

I'd like to make you aware that the telecommunications industry ombudsman accepts complaints via an online form and can help represent you. Google TIO. Next step is to contact the ACCC and make a consumer complaint. I think the only way to change this organisation's behaviour is from external pressure, they have not provided any evidence they can affect improvement autonomously.
Wysiwyg

I am in the same boat!
I have decided to stop using the Telstra provided gateway router and use a 3rd party router, and things have been working smoothly for a while, however I am now getting NBN Modem drop outs!

Have been through the ringer with Telstra several times, with no real resolution in site!
Repeating the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity! This is what its like with Telstra!

How can Telstra be telling me there is nothing wrong with my connection, when the NBN modem does not have an assigned IP address by their network! I have the laptop connected directly to the NBN box using DHCP and no IP address, hence no internet!
How can they not see that at their end, and continue to say I am at fault!!!!

In this day and age, this is sort of service is appalling!
Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi wysiwyg

If the tech support team has already taken you through the troubleshooting at the premises and still has no dataflow on the connection then they would be able to escalate the issue further to the network team. 

It would depend on which type of NBN you have as to what troubleshooting needs to be done though. 

- AlistairQWA

AFrustrateduser

hello Everyone,

Just to let you know, the issue with my service dropouts is still NOT resolved.

Back in October, I was sent a modem which can switch between NBN cable and SIM connected mobile network. It switches many times a day and each time it would take about 3 to 5 min to recover.

As you would imagine doing any study online at home is totally exhausting and really test your patients. Did you just ask about watching Netflix! $#$$#%@

It was agreed with the previous case manager that account was to put on hold but every month the bill keeps clocking up ... last week we came back from holiday and found that the account was suspended and no internet at all. Although I could see the problem on NBN was still there because the modem log/status says it switching between working on normal mode and backup mode frequency but cannot use the internet.

I called up billing and found that the complaint was withdrawn but did not say by whom. The account team said they cannot un-suspend the account if there is no complaint case pending! So, i was again tranfer to the NBN faults (after many hoops in the 13xxxx numbers - you know the drill), the case was reopened last Friday so that the old case manager can call me back ... waited till Monday end of day... no joy so I called back and was put to the NBN technical support, the support manager was able to track the report of faults back in July 15, and a fault service request was created.

The next day a new case manager called, and said he that I would need to pay the outstanding bill. He said although i reported dropouts, he does see data consumption on my usage. I disagreed and gave him the analogy that "I rent a car, I got a bicycle and I am ask to pay for the car"! I told him I agree to pay for a fraction of the bill. The data usage is accumulating but it has no reflection of the quality of service I am getting so I cannot pay the full amount.

He said would try to un-suspend the service and he would need to get back to me on the small amount which I agreed to pay for the outstanding bill.

The service is not blocking anymore, but the problem is still there. I am writing this message where the dropped out occurred and i had to restarted again to completed it.

I am told that I can't go back to ADSL once the connection is converted to NBN.

It is now after 6months, I am still stuck with a disruptive service where i can't study remotely from home, and Netflix subscription is a waste because it is only frustration when a disruption occurs when you try to watch a show. More serious concern is that the children will be back to school soon and I really do not know when I will get a decent broadband connection for their homeworks.

I am writing this to share with you and I know Telstra support/technical people are monitoring this, and I hope Telstra/NBN people can appreciate the problem I have. I am not living in remote rural or new area where services are not well established, I live about 15km from Perth center.

Please do what you can to resolve the issue soon her.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @AFrustrateduser I'm sorry to hear that your NBN service isn't as you expected. For technical support we provide 24x7 assistance on 1800 TFIBRE and via LiveChat here:  http://tel.st/49kl and will be happy to hep you troubleshoot from there. As for your Billing issue our Billing support team can assist on LiveChat also, or via 13 22 00 8am-9pm local time 7 days. 

AFrustrateduser

@Cas-Ra As mentioned in my post, I already have a case re-open and this has been going since July.

This case is re-open because there are many times the case was closed for no reason.

I have 12 NBN engineers visited site and after 5 modems delivered to my home. ....

I was told there the issue is with the bandwidth congestion in the area and NBN is working on it ...

AFrustrateduser

Since no-one call me back, I called in to follow my case and guess what? I was informed that the case number I was given on Monday is closed! I am now given another SR number and that a someone will call me back tomorrow.

I just need to settle the account and to know what will be done and when will it resolved.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more