CrowdSupport®
Vous42
Level 1: Cadet

NBN order problems

Sadly, trying to arrange installation of the NBN at my home has been such an absurd and frustrating experience. In short, I followed the links from the Telstra email on October 5, numerous ‘chats’ (transcripts available) and phone calls then finally installation booked for November 11. It didn’t occur. The installer didn’t call until an hour after the appointed period.

As of a week ago I’m in limbo having spoken to complaints only to be told (as per email) “delay in NBN connection as the NBN order landed in Error Provisioning state.........”. Follow-up call today and the problem is no closer to being resolved other than being told (as per email) “after order lands in error provisioning state, back end team raises roll back. Roll back # 405591” Complaint or order nos. SR 1-2261 0744 3586. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team

Re: NBN order problems

Hi Vous42, apologies for the delay in replying. Has this since been addressed or resolved?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Vous42

Hello Jessica, thanks for your response and thankfully yes but what an absurd ordeal. When the nbn fellow arrived, as I already had Telstra cable internet, the job was done within 5 minutes! Whether it was possible or not, but had the nbn black box initially been sent to me, well I would not have been subjected to such a farcical process. It appears zero communication between departments is possible, the unnecessary jargon I received from the person handling the complaint is no way to action such situations, not to mention that it seemed there was zero concern for this issue. I certainly hope all the stuff ups I’ve been exposed to are addressed thereby preventing further customer frustration. Once installed, it is simply ludicrous that the new technology (for our nation) has such appalling speed when compared to not only what I had on cable but other nations; irrespective of population numbers and density. Anyway, that too has been addressed with ‘speed boost’ but overall, as a shareholder and long time Telstra customer, this entire experience exemplified why customers leave.

kenunger

I've had a similar experience. Currently on ADSL2, and initiated the switch to NBN. Went through the process, the person explained that they will send me an NBN "box", by the time I get it, all I needed to do was connect it up per instructions and my ADSL would be switched off and I'd be on the NBN. Then I asked what speed I was going to be on....the person said, NBN 25 is the standard tier, and I'd be on that. I pointed out that I'd read somewhere on Telstra's website that when one transfers from ADSL to NBN you would go on the 50 Tier plan....after a bit of time, speaking to supervisor, he said, yes, I'll be on the 50 Standard Plus plan. Anyway, after this had all been completed, I looked on my account page and it indicated, my order was in progress, hardware shipped, and estimated connection date 12th December. I connected everything up on the 11th and left it overnight, and for the day of the 12th - no internet in this time, because my line was connected to the NBN box waiting for the switchover......nothing happened. I reconnected my ADSL, and called back, also the person put me through to an NBN team member, who said they were going to look at the transcript of my conversation so far....without even further speaking to me, I was transferred back to the original customer service guy, who told me to leave the box connected for and I should be online withing 48 hours  (which meant I'd be without an internet connection for 2 days waiting for the connection) - at this point, I remembered that my Netgear N300 router did not have a port for my landline when on the NBN, I mentioned this, but there was no response (I was not sent a new Smart Modem, as all the setup guides refer to) in the meantime, I checked my account again, it was still in progress, but the estimated connection date was now blank. The 48 hours came and went, and still no NBN. Called back, was given a case number, and told the case manager would call back within 24 hours, and to leave the NBN box connected for testing purposes. The 24 hours went by, and another 24 hours.....no call back from the case manager. In the end, I have given up, I've reconnected my ADSL, at least I will have an internet connection that works...I'll try again with following up on the NBN in January, I don't want to be stuck with an NBN connection that may be a dud over the Christmas break. Not a good NBN experience so far, and I'm not even on it yet...Ha ha!!!

Vous42

Hey kenunger, if you haven’t already, just stick with using the ‘chat’ service. Having the transcripts provides proof of what was offered/promised. If the Telstra employee states something, you as a customer should be in a position to trust and accept what you’ve been told.

In regards to your internet speed, when I initiated this process, I used the chat service to verify precisely what I’d receive. I clearly stated my current cable speed (averaged 92mbps) and cost ($89p/m) and was told the NBN would not be as fast but the price would be the same. I accepted that - not that I was in any other position and decided that I’d pay extra to receive the speed boost.  You truly wonder why an entirely new internet delivery system was initiated at such vast cost, with so many methods (FTTN, FTTP, HFC) and it is slower and often more expensive. After being connected, I was appalled at the speed, or serious lack thereof. Being told that the upload speed has improved simply doesn’t cut it. Looking at various Telstra web links, one that stood out was, to paraphrase....we’ll monitor your speed over 21days to see if your speed can be increased. I kept running the speed test via the Telstra Home Dashboard app, referred to their 24x7 app for any account updates (none supplied) , used another well recognised speed test app and yep, still less than half the cable speed. Perhaps 5 days past and my complaints person phoned to say the speed boost had been applied. This is what gets to me! Telstra advertise one thing, have it spread across their web pages and then the opposite occurs however this time, their opposite was a positive from my POV. 

It’s the simple lack of consistency and as I’ve previously stated, accountability is necessary. Just how many customers need to go through this type of fiasco before those high in the Telstra customer relation section make changes?

Whenever your installation occurs, bear in mind your phone will need to be connected to the smart modem. If not, you have no landline, nor will you have it for up to 24hours. Never expecting nor being informed of this, let alone requiring my landline, I grew sick of waiting so after three hours of no phone line I called faults and within 10 minutes, the landline was functional again.

Sorry for the grumpy rant but check the speed you want, ensure you get it (existing Telstra customers only pay $15 extra p/m but considering your ordeal, that should be free) remember the phone line issue, if you use a non VOIP compatible fax machine it too won’t work, just use the chat service to validate whatever was communicated, when assigned a complaints person, request what you discuss is emailed to you and most of all, good luck. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now