CrowdSupport®
Tags
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN outages

Answered

Hello folks,

I've been really pleased to have a splitter operated extra phone but pride cometh ... the fall has arrived. Suddenly the FTTN NBN here at home now has frequent outages after more than 18 months reliable operation. The only change I know of is that the normal phone/adsl has now been switched off - it was due to come off twelve months ago, but messages informed me it would go off recently. I cannot know if that has now contributed to the frequent NBN outages since or to my being able to run the extra phone by splitter previously.

So back to the drawing board and I was advised to remove all the extra phone paraphernalia and double check for filters. I now have a single phone in the right point. I even found a phone line to the Foxtel IQ3 that I had forgotten about and removed that.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Can I now expect no outages? I will report on my experience after a few days - perhaps the outages have nothing to do with the extra phone, adsl going off, stray other lines and filters - it could just be the ghost of Malcolm Turnbull haunting the NBN.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ghostman11
Level 5: Eagle Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN outages

I am glad that it worked for you. Resetting the modem is not a solution to everything, however, yes you may try it when connection keeps dropping on one or two of the many devices, slow speed etc. with regards to the connecting the phones, I am unsure about it but yes, you can see if that works for you.

Kindly mark it as resolved, if my resolution has helped you.

Thanks you.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's. Please mark the response "Answered" if I was able to answer your query in anyway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Ghostman11

Hi,

Have you attempted a hard reset by inserting the PIN on the reset PIN hole on the side/back of the modem and pressing it and holding it for 20 seconds?

Most of the times, it does fixes the issue.

However, please note, if you have made any special settings in the modem like added port forwarding for gaming console, home security system, IP camera, then it will go to default settings and you'll have to do it again.

Let me know if it works for you.

I am a Telstra Employee participating in CrowdSupport on my own time. My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's. Please mark the response "Answered" if I was able to answer your query in anyway.
Tags

Thanks Ghostman 11,

I have now reset at your suggestion and everything has come back up - phone functional and WiFi extender working. Now I wait and see if dropouts keep occurring, I hope not.

FYI I have just received another [twentieth?] call from an NBN computer called Nicole - they are switching off the phone/adsl service within 24 hours - I have been receiving these calls for 6 months even though I have been on NBN for more than 12 months and the adsl etc was meant to be turned off in October '18. I thought it was already off and the change had contributed to my recent problems - perhaps not. I'll keep you informed.

Cheers Tags

Tags

Ghostman 11 and others,

Ghostman's recommendation worked - I reset the modem and I have had no dropouts for three days. Resetting is not an obscure solution, but I didn't think of it so thanks Ghostman 11. Possibly the background noise of the messages about shutting off ADSL caused my brain to implode. Now I will try one more time to get the split phones to work - why bother? The cordless is excellent for my disabled partner and the desk phone is better for deaf me. I'll try it any way, I can always reset the modem if the experiment doesn't work!!!

Cheers Tags

Ghostman11
Accepted Solution

I am glad that it worked for you. Resetting the modem is not a solution to everything, however, yes you may try it when connection keeps dropping on one or two of the many devices, slow speed etc. with regards to the connecting the phones, I am unsure about it but yes, you can see if that works for you.

Kindly mark it as resolved, if my resolution has helped you.

Thanks you.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now