CrowdSupport®
Level 4: Private Eye

NBN seamless transfer from cable

So I started getting lots of junk mail in both email form and snail mail as recently the much fabled NBN has been installed in my area.

I igored this all for quite a while as I was a rather happy cable broadband customer with a good plan and fast reliable connection.

Then I was told I MUST transfer to the NBN! Or risk having no internet connection at all!

Right.

So I chose Telstra as im an alumni with nearly 20 years with Telecom and have been happy with the service I have received from them.

Initially I was offered a pathetic 25 mbs connection on the HFC and 500 GB of monthly data allowance for MORE than Im paying now with 100 PLUS mbs and 500GB.

Clearly I wasnt impressed, however I persisted and found a customer service rep who actually had to ask a supervisor and found out there is a mysterious and previously unknown to him "seamless migration" option.

I was PROMISED the same deal I have now, same everything but on the NBN instead.

I should have known better.

Here I am now with an appalingly slow and unreiable connection to the NBN, I have rung and spoken to no less than 7 different people about this, first off, they forgot to send me a new modem, I rang and they sent me one for delivery the day the NBN "tech" arrived, trouble is, it was the wrong one.

The NBN "tech" was rough and ready doing a job any apprentice of mine would have got a swift kick in the arse for.

So I hook up my self install kit and wait the required 2 to 4 hours for the software in the NBN box to update.

Finally Im connected, the result? A pitiful 20 odd mbs ayt best, and lost packets everywhere.

So I check the supplied modem and discover it isnt correct, I ring again, and get a rep who promises to send the correct modem and address the speedboost issue.  I ask her what to do with the wrong modem? She says keep it, they sent it too me for free. Replacement modem comes next day and is correct, horay, BUT, I get a bill for it!!

My adult children, one of whom is a programmer, the other doing a degree in IT and design at Uni arent impressed. Neither can complete their work like they could before the "upgrade".

So I ring and ring again, only to be told over and over wait 24, or 48 hours your speedboost as promised with be activated then, sure it will, NOT.

Here I am a week later and still on a pathetic 20 odd mbs packet lossy NBN **bleep** connection.

I want my cable back!

My advice DO NOT CONNECT TO THE NBN if like me you had a perfectly good cable internet connection!!!

Come tommorrow, I will ring YET again, this time its either fixed, AND the bill for the modem deleted, or Im off to the competition, some of whom have better deals.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Re: NBN seamless transfer from cable

Hi Raff, my apologies for the ongoing frustration and I trust a suitable solution can be provided for you soon. While we're not able to request account details or make changes to services through posts on these forums, you can also request investigation and help from a case manager in our Complaints team via the channels at https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 8: Inspector

What modem did you have before the change?

did you have it in bridged mode going to a different router which all your devices connected to?

when you are running a speed test are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

Highlighted

I had a Netgear CG3100-D2 in bridge mode to an Asus RT68 router before the swapover.

It worked fine.

Connections to the setup are via 2.4GHz, 5GHz and wired ethernet on various devices, we are a family of nerds Smiley Tongue

Speedtest is checked via wired ethernet connection to www.speedtest.net which on our previous cable connection often reported 123mbs down and 2.4mbs up.

Now we have the NBN supplied Arris modem, and the telstra supplied Gateway Max 2.

Speedtest results via wired ethernet to the Gateway Max 2 are around 23mbs down and 4.7mbs up.

We were initially supplied with a Sagemcom f@st 5355 Gateway which proved not suitable.

Last call I made to Telstra, this Monday, I was told that the request for my promised speedboost has been made long ago and the the NBN has marked it as "acknowledged" but not provisioned.

I was asked to wait until 72 "business hours" have passed and try again, that will be this Friday. Today, Wednesday, so far, no speedboost.

Lets hope I get a proper and stable connection soon.

Thanks for the input.

Highlighted

I forgot to add, yes the teslstra support person reversed the additional charge for my replacement modem, thats sorted.

Highlighted

What a surprise, here it is Friday, just did a speed check and STILL no speedboost!

Ive registered a written complaint and then Im off to the ombudsman, enough is enough.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Raff, if you've been able to lodge a complaint about this via the link above I can follow up with the case manager assigned to the issue if you can let me know the reference number you received for it. (This would begin with 'SR-1'). 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Hi Greg,

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Here is the reference number SR 1-1147407179980

Thanks again,

Raff

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks Raff, that's been assigned to our Complaints Reception team now

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

I wish i had seen this before I did the same thing...

I too had cable at a speed of 100/2 and since "upgrading" i have been stuck with 25/5.. speed boost was ordered almost 3 weeks ago and its apparently still "stuck in provisioning" .. 

Ive also complained about it.. its a joke

Highlighted

Did you get any response to your complaint?

Id be taking it to the telecommunications Ombudsman.

Thats what Im going to do if this doesnt get sorted soon.

Someones arse needs a good hard kicking thats for sure.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Raff, I am sorry for the delays but regrettably our Complaints Management Team are not available over the weekends but I assure you this shall be looked into today as my colleague Greg has requested. I understand the frustration but thank you for your patience.

Highlighted

Hi MammaB,

Thanks for the update.

I find it quite amusing that a complaints department isnt available on weekends in this day and age, they must think its still 1976.

Looking forward to my promised seamless upgrade.

Raff

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Please pop back at anytime Raff as we are here 24/7 to help.

Highlighted

I logged a complaint with the office of the CEO i hadnt heard anything so i called disconnections because i had enough of their BS.
The lady i spoke to (from within australia) got me intouch with an onshore casr manager who ive spoken to a few times. He has looked into it and sent a few emails. Still no speed boost for me after 3 weeks.

But calling disconnections seemed to get them worried 1300 781 637 they try and do what they can to keep you.

Last friday i made a complaint to the TIO and they called me today. Telstra have until may 29th to fix my issue. Sorry if this isnt any help but its the best i have to share.

Highlighted

Sorry the number was 1300 731 687
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for letting me know that this is being worked on. I can assure you that this Case Manager shall be doing all possible to get this resolved for you as quickly as possible. 

Highlighted

Thanks for the input substance.

I will go to the TIO myself if this isnt resolved soon.

I will also demand to be reconnected to my trouble free and fast cable connection, or Ill go elsewhere and demand a refund from Telstra.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that, but I have heard many horror stories about the NBN, I wish they'd have just let people happy with what they have alone. 

Nothing has happened as yet, still crappy slow connection.

Raff

Highlighted

Interesting.

I just checked my speeds via www.speedtest.net, I now get 22mbs down and 32mbs up.

8:15pm Monday 15th.

"something" has happened, lets hope more happens.

Raff

Highlighted

So its hard to believe, but when went online just now im getting 90/37.. so it seems FINALLY they have applied my boost

Highlighted

substance

Well done, finally!

I just checked mine, 61mbs down, 21mbs up, not exactly 100/40 but better, keep going, I want at least CLOSE to what was promised!

After all I did have a STABLE and reliable 120/2.4 cable connection before this so called upgrade.

Highlighted

Just did another spped check at 12 noon.

Results are 94mbs down and 29mbs up.

Looking good.

Hopefully dropped packet issue is resolved.

Thanks go to those involved.

Raff

Highlighted

Well it was nice while it lasted.

Back to high pings, over double what they were, lost packets and slow downloads.

Speedtest results 38mbs down, 25mbs up, hardly the 100/40 as promised, and no, its not the server at the other end as is often blamed for results like these, Id say its congestion.

It sucks, I never had such issues with my cable connection, and the NBN uses the EXACT same cabling I had before!

If it doesnt improve, its complaint time, again... followed by the TIO.

Highlighted

Well all was actually working here for a while.

I was told that at the beginning of June, there was to be a local upgrade that will fix my congestion troubles.

Well here it is school holidays and everyone in my local area has been forced from their exiisting braodband connections to the NBN and the congestion is worse than ever, lost packjets and pathetically slow speeds.

In short once again, Im not getting what Im paying for.

I dont care whose fault it is, although I strongly suspect its the NBN mobs issue, I want it fixed!!

Damn, I wish ID NEVER heard of this crap NBN thing!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit