Highlighted
bnatali
Level 3: Gumshoe

NBN slow speed

Answered

Hi
I have been trying for a few weeks to get to the bottom of my NBN speed issues.
I have signed up too and have been billed for Standard Evening Speed plus (25mps)
I am constantly getting 15mps if I am lucky.
I have been in touch with the technical support people 3 times (even though I use the link they have provided so I don't have to go through the initial testing). They all do the same thing run tests, restart my modem and then say they don't know why I am getting a slow speed. They will monitor my speed and to call back in 24 hours if there is still problems.
As I have said, this has happened three times (I have the receipts for the three contacts).
Telstra have provided zero help or even tried to actually find a solution - I would have thought that a technician would inspect the lines at a minimum.
I was told once that Telstra was increasing the capacity on the NBN in my area and this work would be completed on 13 July, to ring them back if the issue wasn't solved. Of course it was not solved and in fact it was worse. I went through the same phone call fiasco again.
Last night I was told after another hour on the phone that I would just need to wait for the speed to increase – what does this mean/ I asked wait how long do I have to wait – no reply. I asked so there is a problem and it has to be fixed – no reply. Finally they said good night and it was an NBN problem. They text what they said was their personal number so I could call back if the problem wasn’t fixed. All the really sent was a link to ask for a call back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
bnatali
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN slow speed

Thanks for the info. I don't really understand what it means but thats OK. In your opinion what is the best way to get this info to Telstra so they can fix it.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Level 24: Supreme Being

What type of NBN connection do you have? If you have a FTTN connection the maximum speed of link depends on distance from Node and quality of the cable. Could post your line stats (Maximum Link Speed, Actual Link Speed, Link Attenuation, SNR Margin...)? These might indicate what is causing the low speed and a if there is something that could be done to increase the speed.

On the recent Telstra Technicolor modems link stats are located here

http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats. Default password on Gen 2 modem is Telstra

bnatali

Just as an addendum to my message above: I actually have IInet cabling in my back yard (old transact lines) and I am seriously considering swapping. I have been with Telstra for quite a while (and I own shares) so I don't really want to leave.  However unless someone can tell me how long I am going to have sub-par internet, or provide a solution I don't think I have any choice.

At least Telstra have said in correspondence with me that I could leave without penalty because they are not providing the service as promised.

bnatali

Thanks

I will do this as soomn as I get home. Thanks for the reply. It is a FTTN connection

If on NBN you don't need to change your cabling to change ISPs. If you change ISPs the same cabling will be used and if the problem is length of the cable to node you will still have the low speed problem.

bnatali

Yes I understand this but it is totally separate cabling in my backyard that was installed by iinet (formally transact). The Telstra cable is underground at the front of the house, buy the way I would be about 100 meters from the node, that is the copper phone line from my house to the node.

bnatali

DSL Status

Up
DSL Uptime
11 minutes 25 seconds
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
16.97 Mbps 16.67 Mbps
Line Rate
16.97 Mbps 17.23 Mbps
Data Transferred
37.33 MBytes 49.83 MBytes
Output Power
8.8 dBm 12.1 dBm
Line Attenuation
35.1, 50.4, 54.6 dB 30.6, 52.6, 63.2 dB
Noise Margin
6.4 dB 6 dB

Are these the stats you meant Supreme Being
bnatali

Sorry i meant cf4

bnatali

Telstra Speed Test

Download speed15.5
Mbps
Upload speed

Mbps
Ping speed

ms

Yes those are the stats I was looking for and they definitely indicate that there is a fault on the NBN FTTN link. The fact that upload maximum speed is the same as the download maximum speed indicates a fault and would expect to see over 50 Mbps maximum down load speed for the attenuation of the cable.

I notice the link has only been up for 11 minutes is this due to the modem being switched off or do you also have a problem with internet drop outs?

The fault could be due to a faulty port in the Node, a faulty modem, a faulty termination in the street cabling or your house wiring. If you have more than one phone socket make sure nothing is plugged into any spare sockets also connect modems DSL port directly to the phone wall socket without using a ADSL filter / splitter.

The only way this can be fixed is for a Technician to come out and do some testing on the link. If support want send a Technician lodge a complaint to Telstra by ringing 132200 and when asked for reason for call say complaint or use online form

bnatali

Thanks I have put in an official complaint.

bnatali

The router was only on line for 11 minutes because I restarted it to try one last time.

On closer inspection of your link attenuation I suspect that the fault is due to the line not being disconnected from the exchange when your were connected to the node..

bnatali
Accepted Solution

Thanks for the info. I don't really understand what it means but thats OK. In your opinion what is the best way to get this info to Telstra so they can fix it.

When speaking to Telstra support it is best to not mention what might be causing the fault. Only to mention facts that prove your NBN link is faulty.

When contacted by complaints case manager point of that you are only 100 meters from Node but your link maximum speed is 16 Mbps when in theory it should be over 50 Mbps and upload maximum link speed is same as maximum download speed.

When the NBN technician turns up, and if they can't find anything wrong you could ask if they checked if your line is still connected to exchange.

bnatali

Thanks you have been a great help. Its a shame testra couldn't have told me this on one of my several phone calls.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help and efforts

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now