CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Shetty
Level 5: Eagle Eye

NBN slower by half

Answered

Hopefully this may get a better answer than i've been given so far.We are on the 25/5 package & the connection is FTTN.Last Friday evening we lost our connection completely which previously/consistently achieved 23/4.After contacting tech support the connection was re-established 1hr later BUT.

Ever since,we can now only achieve a max of 13/4.Have contacted all support & been elevated to NBN team but still no joy.

1 week later the connection is still being monitored but no solution as to why the sudden speed decrease when nothing equipment wise on our end has changed.Also no increase back to our original speeds.

TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shetty
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN slower by half

Reporting back on my speed issues to the community.

Recieved our new TG800 modem today & our speed is back to our norm of 23.66/4.75.Thanks to the help here & in this case,excellent help from Telstra.

I can now class this as solved.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 24: Supreme Being

Hard to say without more information

Is the reduction in speed constant or only during peak hours (3PM-12AM)?

Is the speed test being done through Ethernet or WiFi?

Assuming it is FTTN/FTTB, Post your modem stats. You can get then via http://10.0.0.138 or http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband or Advanced > Gateway Settings > Device Info > General > xDSL. Your looking for line rates, attenuation, noise, etc

Gateway login password should be 'admin' if required

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Shetty

Thanks very much for a reply.The speed drop is constant,since we had the initial dropout of our internet.The speed test is being done through ethernet.

We are a FTTN connection & here are the stats as you asked:

Do you know if NBN performed maintenance at all that day?

Attenuation is way too high which is causing the slow speeds. Ultimately it will have to be escalated to NBN
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Shetty

Thanks very much for your reply & help.I'm unaware as to if NBN did maintenance on that day at all.Back onto Telstra then to NBN again.
The usual run-around I guess lol.
Once again,much appreciated.
Shetty

Apologies for the 2nd reply but an update & question please?

The update:My wife hotspotting her 3G Optus phone is getting almost the same speed wirelessly as my ethernet NBN.

The question:As you mentioned I definitely have a problem with attenuation which will reflect in the slower than usual speed.HOW do I go about getting Telstra to acknowledge my problem to be able to rectify it?

TIA.

You mentioned earlier that it had been escalated to NBN already. Has there been an outcome to that yet?

Shetty

Yastiandrie wrote:
You mentioned earlier that it had been escalated to NBN already. Has there been an outcome to that yet?

Still no outcome from when it was originally escalated to NBN.Or so we were led to believe it had.Last we heard,it was still being monitored.The connection dropped out completely again last night.Around 5-7mins later,came back on.Lo & behold,we have dropped down slightly lower in d'load speed.

Thoughts/suggestions on how best to tackle the call centre to get a resolution greatly appreciated.

TIA

I'd probably check first to see if the ticket is still open with NBN. There's no real way a RSP can hurry them along though unfortunately

You could possibly raise a complaint (either by 13 22 00 and say 'complaints' to the robot lady: Make sure you dont put any details in though like your phone number. Just say 'i dont have one', or via https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint )

Shetty

Yastiandrie wrote:

I'd probably check first to see if the ticket is still open with NBN.

Ok thx again for your help.What is the best method,rather than too much run around on the phone,of checking please?

Would it be any quicker to go via Platinum Help,of which we are a member.Then let them chase it up?

TIA.

Platinum more then likely would still have to get NBN Assurance on the line to check. There are only a few Platinum agents with access to NBN diagnostics

TBH it should only really be a matter of contacting thwem and telling them that you called on this day and want to see if the case is still open

Shetty

Finally,it seems I may get a resolution to the problem.NBN team are sending me another modem as they acknowledge i'm not getting the speed I should.Also,if that doesn't solve the problem,a tech will be arranged to come to the house.

I'll leave this as unsolved for the moment,untill I recieve the new modem & report back.

Shetty
Accepted Solution

Reporting back on my speed issues to the community.

Recieved our new TG800 modem today & our speed is back to our norm of 23.66/4.75.Thanks to the help here & in this case,excellent help from Telstra.

I can now class this as solved.

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting us know @Shetty, have a good night.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now