JWWWW
Level 1: Cadet

NBN - so long to install - months.

Hi - I have an NBN cable to my house. The connection from the street to the house and then to the modem is fine. An NBN technician came to my house and confirmed that all cabling and connections, modem etc. were all fine. He advised that the upstream speed was too high while he was testing the connection. He then went to the pit in the street and checked there. He told me that there are no problems with my house cabling and that the problem would addressed by my provider. 

No calls from provider except to book an NBN wall plate install. Which I have told them over and over and over I do not need as my house is cabled internally. On my most recent call they told me the next available appointment is MAY to install the NBN wall plate!!! I don't need a wall plate which was confirmed when I spoke to someone else that the call was escalated to on some other occasion.

I've lodged a complaint and have been waiting for days to hear back about that.  If the problem is supposedly "in the pit" as in the settings in the pit need to be adjusted or whatever - why doesn't anyone know that?? This is the absolute worst experience I have ever had with any provider and I've been with Telstra for years. The customer service people simply read from their script and do not deviate. There is no one else to call and if any other number is attempted you just get routed back to the same queue and the same questions that I have answered probably 50 times. It is just madness.

What happened at Telstra? (That's a rhetorical question.) This fix - unless someone tells me otherwise should be relatively easy to enable the connection from the street to my house. If the "upstream speed" is too high, then reduce it and maybe my connection will work. This has been going on for at least a month and I would close off the order, but they tell me the order is complete and can't be cancelled and that I should be OK until I get full speed internet on the 4G backup.....Of course, this hasn't stopped Telstra from sending me the full bill for a full internet service which I then have to claim back apparently when I get a full internet service, until then I have to pay the bill or fiddle around with my autopayment settings every month. Excellent.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: NBN - so long to install - months.

There are no settings "in the pit". The speeds are requested by Telstra and applied by NBN Co.

If the upload speeds are too high, then that is an NBN problem. Telstra can't fix that.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JWWWW
Level 1: Cadet

Excellent. Thanks for your help. So, who do I contact? Telstra or NBN? Is there a number other than a 1 800 834 274 or 1 800 135 103 ? Also, not sure if there is a difference between upload and upstream in this instance. I really don't know.

You have to deal with Telstra as NBN Co won't talk to you directly. The 1800 834 273 number would be the one to call.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now