CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

NBN speeds Midway Point

Well this is my second attempt at the NBN.First with Iprimus what a circus that was, bad phone line outages,even my neighbours could not believe the quality of the phone calls.Internet was spasmodic reaching top speed of 24mbs.

Got out my contract as the service be came almost unworkable even with a voip box called lingo.

This time NBN plus Telstra.The cable guys removed previous NBN router and back up power supply giving me a new one.

They were unable to test the full network as Telstra was to activate the system the next day. 2-3hrs wasted trying to conect my E3000 cisco router.Next day Telstra guys arrive with there wireless modem and activate it no speed test relayed to me.

As I have previously set up wireless networks declined there helpful offer to reconfig my devices.

I thought  I would do a speed test via there modem using my sons high quality ethernet cord  for lans and gaming.

Well I thought lets see what speeds I can get as I was told 100mbs but I thought real 85-95.Shock horror just made 40mbs download up load 30mbs.After a number of tests rang Telstra they told 40 would be about my max if lucky might go near 100mbs.As most of my conections are wireless speeds have ranged from 2mbs-22 thats only high quality ADSL2 if you can call it that.My son has friends with Telstra plans in Sorell NBN over their wireless getting 75 mbs+

So what do I think after my previous work with the Online Access Centres also Online Access Centre Association of Tasmania.One of the founding board members trying to get high speed internet and computer access for all.

Not Much

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: NBN speeds Midway Point

Are you connected wirelessly? Sounds like you've only got a b/g capable device connected to the router.

Lathania

Re: NBN speeds Midway Point No Turbo Charge Telstra.Standard Holden 6

The NBN fibre router has to have a specific Telstra Router connected to it a Netgear EVG2000 gateway.For which I was given a Telstra Wireless setup Wifi Key for which I cannot change.No admin or password to change wifi key.

The cable used to test the ethernet was a utp 4pr 24AWG Cat 6 Patch cable.I see in the Tasmanian Mercury Telstra Advert Saturday December 1 2012 page25 "Turbo charge your home with Telstra' I think its a standard Holden six at best.

Thank you for your Reply

Highlighted

Few points:

You can change your WiFi details by navigating to 10.0.0.138 user details are username: "admin" and password: "password" and you can change several settings including the SSID and WiFi password.

Secondly 100% speeds aren't guarenteed and never have been on any ISP to my knowledge. 40Mb download rate is quite good considering the average Australian speed was apparently something like 0.3Mb.

There's also a chance your service might not be programmed to 100Mb, as if you got on the new plans avaliable for NBN there appears to be several different speed codes I believe one of them is 50Mb.
Lathania

The Netgear router came with no instructions etc.The carpet layer who was in my house told me that underneath the router in small letters there is adjustment settings.The Telstra salesman telling me I would get 100mb in Midway Point did he get it wrong?.My sons friends are getting speeds of 75mbs in Sorell on lower priced plans.If Telstra were unable to deliver the speeds why not tell me.With all the money spent on this project and promises of what it can or could do.As an end user of these services and advocate for high speed broad band the sevice is sadly lacking.And this is my second bite.

Thank you for your Reply.

Highlighted

Just a point to note, I bet your computer didn't come with full operating instructions either.

You're not listening to my attempts to assist you, what I'm saying is that your service may not be currently set up for 100Mb and you will need to confirm that is the service you are being provided on Telstra's end. Additionally your hardware (computer) itself may not be capable of these speeds, Windows XP for example has issues causing it to not be able to surpass 50Mb download rates or something similar. You said your son is getting 75Mb, does he have a laptop or something he can bring over to check if its an equipment issue?

No idea what a carpet layer has to do with your internet.

Tech support is a two way street, you can't just expect Telstra to know you're having issues and automatically fix it, you need to work together with people trying to help you to reach a resolution otherwise you may as well stand in the middle of the street and yell your problems.

Lathania

Well some results, for a while on Monday, blistering speeds of 75 mbs over the wireless network . And some tech support telling me to complain about my low speeds they can take it up with the NBN.

The carpet layer had previous knowledge of netgear routers including pointing me to slow firewall reports of netgear routers.

As for tech support there seems to variable ideas of what speeds I should get and advice .I will persist and not except second best when promised better.

Thank You For Your Reply

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Well I'm a newbie to NBN and lucky to get 1m2mb/s download speed which I can eyeball from file I'm downloading.  Xbox running live play at same time, and don't know how to test what that gets. Is there someone who could tell me where to check download speed on the software at 10.0.0.138, as I couldn't find anything there. I'm thinking perhaps ethernet cables we are using are not good enough to be any improvement on previous ADSL speeds.  Supposed to have paid for 25mb/s or above 10 would be lovely!  Worst thing is a lot of lagging on the Xbox live and also when watching catch-up TV - its not buffering but frame movements are jerky.  Certainly not good to try and do both at the same time.

Highlighted

If you're downloading a file at 1 or 2 Mb/s then your connection speed is either 8/16 download. As per the other post, check your connection speed by testing at www.speedtest.net
Lathania

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit