CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
livo74
Level 2: Rookie

NBN speeds have dropped to 2mbDL, 1mbUL, 30Ping, for the second time in 3 weeks

Answered

NBN speeds have dropped to 2mbDL, 1mbUL, 30Ping, for the second time in 3 weeks.

My internet has been flawless for the 2 years i have been on the nbn. usual speed test results are 45/15/30. 

when this first happened the telstra chat assistant said "your speed boost is causing the problem, would you like me to remove it, it may result in cheaper rates too". 

I said it has been working fine for years, what has changed. ignored me, and said it should be fixed in 24 hours.Surprisinly/wonderfully.. it was. 

The problem has returned... and the chat assistant said  "your speed boost is causing the problem, would you like me to remove it, it may result in cheaper rates too".

I informed them of the puzzle that statement caused, and they ignored me and said will be fixed in 24 hrs. it has now been 37 hours, i have unplugged my modem, and now run a speed test again. My speed results are now 5mbDL/2mbUL/30Ping.

Am tad upset and concerned. Any thoughts and help to rectify would be much. much  appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN speeds have dropped to 2mbDL, 1mbUL, 30Ping, for the second time in 3 weeks

Thanks for providing those line stats. The low speed is definitely due to a fault on the link between your modem and the node. It could be a intermittent fault which is why the speed is varying. Your line attenuation figures are very strange. The high frequency attenuation (31.5 dB and 41.6 dB) is low and indicates your link is capable of 100 Mbps but the low frequency attenuation (16.8 db and 17.9 db) is high compared to the high frequency attenuation especially in the upward direction . There is probably a faulty termination in one of the pits or pillars or the node.

I would ring support again and request that a Tech be sent out to investigate. If you have any spare phone wall sockets check that nothing is plugged into any of the spare sockets.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
livo74

Re: NBN speeds have dropped to 2mbDL, 1mbUL, 30Ping, for the second time in 3 weeks

edit, have just run test again, is now 8/5/15p

If you have a FTTN connection could you post your line stats? (Attenuation, Maximum link speed, Actulal link speed etc). These will indicate if there is a fault with the link and what might be causing the low speed.

livo74

thanks for answering. Fibre to the node, suspect so.? all i know is fibre somewhere.. but cheap copper to house. and guess a node is that telstra "pole" about a metre high. am only about 50m away from ours.  and if i can supply those stats, where do i find them?

Here is were you will find the stats on the Telstra modems.

Telstra Gateway Max TG799 and Telstra Gateway Max II (TG800)
http://10.0.0.138 > advance > broadband > DSL stats

Telstra Gateway Frontier (DJN2130), Telstra Smart Modem (DJA0230) Telstra Smart Modem Gen2 (DJA0231)
http://192.168.0.1 > Advanced > Broadband > DSL stats Log in ID Gen 2 is admin/Telstra

Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@st 5355)
http://10.0.0.138 > Advanced > Gateway Settings > Dev Info > General > xDSL (Near bottom of page) Password is admin

livo74

would never of found this without your help, damn sure of that!

---------------

Telstra smart modem

DSL Status 

Up
DSL Uptime
9 hours 45 minutes 1 second
DSL Type
VDSL2
DSL Mode
Fast
Maximum Line rate
3.99 Mbps 15.61 Mbps
Line Rate
4.46 Mbps 10.92 Mbps
Data Transferred
400.63 MBytes 1412.13 MBytes
Output Power
3.9 dBm 13.4 dBm
Line Attenuation
16.8, 26.4, 31.5 dB 17.9, 30.5, 41.6 dB
Noise Margin
6.8 dB 7.8 dB

have just run speed test again

9.9/4.1/8ping

is ..gradually.. going up, steadily.

odd?? 

Accepted Solution

Thanks for providing those line stats. The low speed is definitely due to a fault on the link between your modem and the node. It could be a intermittent fault which is why the speed is varying. Your line attenuation figures are very strange. The high frequency attenuation (31.5 dB and 41.6 dB) is low and indicates your link is capable of 100 Mbps but the low frequency attenuation (16.8 db and 17.9 db) is high compared to the high frequency attenuation especially in the upward direction . There is probably a faulty termination in one of the pits or pillars or the node.

I would ring support again and request that a Tech be sent out to investigate. If you have any spare phone wall sockets check that nothing is plugged into any of the spare sockets.

livo74

champion, thank you so much for the info!

i only have the one phone outlet (old as farm house) so nothing else is plugged in except the telstra gateway. i will contact telstra and ask for a tech immediately, and post results. many thanks again. Mat

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now