Highlighted
Level 19: Deputy Director

NBN switch over time limit

Answered

Last year half our suburb were connected to the NBN, got letters saying to sign up with various ISPs.  Politicians put a hiatus in place.  So now we have finally been setup with the NBN cabling to our units - we had cable connections already in place, as well as fiddling with the telephone pit, less than a fortnight ago. 

1. Do I still have 18mths to switch over to the NBN? Telstra have threatened to disconnect phone and internet if I don't sign up with them now.  Also claimed to have tried to contact me via phone.  I guess that was the "nuisance" caller who would ring then not answer when I picked up the phone.  As I have impaired mobility, this was extremely annoying. No message left either.

2. I am still under contract with Telstra for ADSL2 for ~ 18mths. 

3. If Telstra do disconnect me now, I gather that would terminate my contract with them?

4. As I have just downloaded my bill showing I owe $69.00 despite paying it on 2 August, and attempted to sort this out with Telstra - web page says "service not available" Phone call a waste of time - twangy hard to hear Phillipino voice, useless and inane questions, won't speak up so have to repeatedly ask her to repeat the question etc, etc. This is after doing the same thing with the "AI?" robot. Telstra is NOT my favourite ISP at the moment. 

So do I have to sign up with Telstra now given the NBN has only been ACTIVE for about a week or so?

If they disconnect me, does this end the contract and can I sign up with another ISP?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN switch over time limit

18 months after NBN is activated in your area, your legacy services will be disconnected. You'll get several letters from NBN advising the cut off date is approaching as well as contact attempts from Telstra. You don't have to sign up to NBN as soon as its available if you don't want to.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

The timing of the cutover will be determined when your area was declared NBN In Service, which is not related to when your units were wired up and ready to be cut across.

NBN Co will send a letter telling you when existing services are due to be switched off in your area (in our case the letter arrived about 6 weeks prior).
Your contract with Telstra is independent of the method of delivery, so a switchover is a matter of telling Telstra that you are ready. A cancellation is also just that, Early Termination Fees would still apply.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

18 months after NBN is activated in your area, your legacy services will be disconnected. You'll get several letters from NBN advising the cut off date is approaching as well as contact attempts from Telstra. You don't have to sign up to NBN as soon as its available if you don't want to.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Accepted Solution

The timing of the cutover will be determined when your area was declared NBN In Service, which is not related to when your units were wired up and ready to be cut across.

NBN Co will send a letter telling you when existing services are due to be switched off in your area (in our case the letter arrived about 6 weeks prior).
Your contract with Telstra is independent of the method of delivery, so a switchover is a matter of telling Telstra that you are ready. A cancellation is also just that, Early Termination Fees would still apply.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks Guilty Spark and Jupiter.
I have not received any letters at all from NBN. The NBN rollout map has only just recently showed our address as being NBN available. The router was adjusted on the weekend presumably related to NBN?
So is this what you mean by "your area was declared NBN In Service" How do I determine this as half the suburb had NBN but not our address till less than a fortnight ago.
I just don't like the threatening letter I received from Telstra. I was actually happy to switch before this, but with the account double billing, the evasiveness of customer service staff, web pages not working, this letter, I've been looking at OTHER ISPs instead.

If you go to https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/rollout-map.html - search your address then click on "Find out more" as shown in Example 1. Then as shown in Example 2, it should show you information about the disconnection of legacy services such as ADSL

NBNBen1.PNGExample 1NBNBen2.PNGExample 2

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now