Wysiwyg
Level 2: Rookie

NBN trouble (constant drop outs)

Internet drop out again! not a happy Telstra customer!

NBN has forced my internet connection to be an essential service purely because of the fact that without it I cannot use my home phone which I depend on, which I am also forced to pay a connection charge for.

I have a situation where I have young children who are old enough to stay at home but not old enough to have their own mobile phone. I have been experiencing internet drop outs regularly for the past week now for 12-16 hours at a time with no resolution in sight from either Telstra or NBN.

In an emergency my children cannot call for help, this is of great concern and without realising it, Telstra's lack of service is now forcing me to purchase a mobile phone for my children in case of an emergency. How is this fair?

Either make the internet more reliable or remove the compulsory charge on your home phone connections and give people the option of having a mobile phone as a home phone instead. It seems Telstra is profiting from both situations and putting people at risk in the process.

As a long time customer of Telstra, I am finally fed up and I have lodged a formal complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman regarding this very issue.

Enough is enough, billions of dollars on a broadband network spent that fails consistently and can hardly call reliable!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: NBN trouble (constant drop outs)

Have the Telstra consultants (on 1800 834 273) given you an explanation of what is causing the problem?

Is your modem completely losing the VDSL signal (indicating a problem between your house and the node - an NBN problem), or is the internet staying up but the VOIP (phone) service dropping out (could be either a Telstra or NBN problem)?

Have you tried resetting the modem to see if that helps with the problem?

It could be something as simple as a loose connection at the node causing the connection to be lost. Unfortunately you have to wait for an NBN technician to fix it, but it is a quick fix and when they come out to check the connection, prompt them to check it out.

As far as the mobile phones go, both my kids got prepaids when they were in Grade 5 (so that they could learn how to use one responsibly) and my daughter got upgraded to a plan when she started high school.

With the current situation on how landline phones work in Australia, you should get in contact with your local politician. They are the ones who took away the security of a reliable phone service that worked when you needed it the most (both sides are responsible for this).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Wysiwyg

Telstra consultants have not provided any reason or information regarding the fault, other than telling me I don't have internet connection! Dah!

I have totally eradicated the Telstra gateway/router from my network and have used ubiquiti routers and security gateways, I have a background in computing and networking so I am very savvy when it comes to these sort of things.
We are beyond loose connections and simple remedies, the NBN box is simply not being assigned an IP address from the Telstra servers, therefore no internet.
As I have fibre to the premises, the simplest way to troubleshoot an internet drop out is by connecting a laptop directly to the NBN modem box on the wall where the fibre cable is terminated. Using DHCP settings the laptop should immediately pick up its IP address and DNS settings enabling internet access. If this does not happen, it pretty much means that the outage is due to equipment or technical issues on the Telstra side of the network.
You can restart the NBN box until you go blue in the face, but it will not do anything to help restore the internet connection.

I have lodged a complaint to the ombudsman regarding this issue and the fact that like you said, we the people no longer have a reliable phone network, for which we are forced to pay for (Telstra customers only) and it does not even work!

I tried lodging a complaint via the Telstra on-line complaint form, and even that was off-line and an error message appeared "An error has occurred, please try again later" Seriously! What a mess!

If the actual NBN box is not receiving an IP address, then that means that the error is on the NBN side rather than the Telstra side. It could be a faulty port on the NBN NTD and the simple fix for that would be for NBN Co to enable the service on UNI-D2 instead of UNI-D1. It sounds like a faulty port on the NBN NTD.

If the NBN NTD was working correctly and the Telstra side was the problem, you should get an IP address, but no internet connection.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Wysiwyg

Thanks, that's actually more information than anyone else has been able to provide me.
My neighbours have been experiencing the same drop-out issues, so logic dictates it has nothing to do with the actual NBN NTD.
An NBN technician is coming out tomorrow, fingers crossed.
The problem is, if the internet connection is up when the technician arrives, its likely to be passed off as fixed and they will just leave. Its happened before and will happen again.
And around and around we go Smiley Happy

That's a different kettle of fish. That sounds like a problem with the NBN equipment at the aggregation point and may have to be escalated.

Can you pop around to your neighbours and get them to write down which RSP they are with, and how often and for how long the outages are for? If you can give this information to the NBN Co Tech who turns up, then it could save a lot of time in getting it actioned.

The techs are usually pretty reasonable and when you can give them good information then they usually appreciate it (even if some of it goes above their heads).
Wysiwyg

Will do thanks again Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Wysiwyg

The NBN twchnician came out and replaced the fibre connectors on the modem and outside in the box. Initial noise reading of the line was 22db which is apparently not too good, after replacing the connectors the reading came down to 16db.
He said that the quality of the connection was causing drop outs and this should now fix the problem.
Well, my connectiom has been up for 48 hours now, so I hope this works!

He told me that the gel inside the connectors degrade after a while, particularly in extreme hot weather. This could be an every few years fix in that case.

Home Broadband Bundle

$99 Entertainment Bundle. Unlimited Data and Entertainment.

Find out more